Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also are the little folding nut tabs enough or is drilling mandatory? Thanks

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Lots of views but no response :confused: Track day / race guys a little help ;) It looks like it would be cool and less drilling WHILE being safe is a good thing for someone as retentive as me.

Link to the progressive one. Also if no, are they all worthless or do you recommend a different one?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
evl_twn said:
You need to remove the bolts to put those locking tabs under em anyway, why not just go ahead and drill em? :idunno:
:O I want the tool for the well done braids but the other was just a bonus as putting holes in my bike just seems like 'damage'

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I have no experience with safety wiring. Are you planning on racing? If not, I don't know of any track day orgs that make you safety wire, although doing the oil drain plug, filter, and filler cap never hurts. I've thought about doing it, just haven't yet. I'll be looking for a pre-drilled oil plug, though. I don't have the tools to drill and stuff.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
sheepofblue said:
as putting holes in my bike just seems like 'damage'
That's like saying they "damaged" the motor casting when they bored the cylinders.... :rasp:

·
Registered
551 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
I have no experience with safety wiring. Are you planning on racing? If not, I don't know of any track day orgs that make you safety wire, although doing the oil drain plug, filter, and filler cap never hurts. I've thought about doing it, just haven't yet. I'll be looking for a pre-drilled oil plug, though. I don't have the tools to drill and stuff.
I'm in the same boat as HGT. I haven't done any safety wire drilling, but I would probably buy things pre-drilled. Just my :twocents:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just use a drill to coil the wire. No bit just close the chuck onto both ends of a length of wire and place a screw driver within the loop. Pull the screwdriver tight and pull the triger. You will have perfect coiled safety wire.

For trackdays I use pipe clamps on my oil pan bolt and on my oil filter.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Forget that tool. Call Street & Comp and get a set of "real" safety wire pliers. They have been around since people started flying aircraft and the design is proven, simple and rugged. Also, buy the 1 pound "can" of safety wire and don't get the real thick (.030) stuff, as the .025 will work just fine and is easier to use.

Buy yourself a handful (literally) of 1/16" hardened bits and use a drill press and a machinist's vise to make the job simple.

Or, you could just fly Conq down and have the job done professionally.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HondaGalToo said:
Considering it one day. And extra safety is not bad. That said I do cringe and putting holes in my babies :D The RC already has a drilled plug I will just have to rewire it when I am doing the pre-Grattan oil change.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
sheepofblue said:
That said I do cringe and putting holes in my babies
The holes go in easily replaceable bolt heads...phucking get over it already.

·
Registered
738 Posts
.032" isn't bad to work with. .041" is a bit tougher in tight places. I know I do it all the time on our A/C's.Just buy the safetywire pliers.Don't get the auto return one it'll just slip outta your hand & release the lock. Pain in the arse!! Get some BOELUBE That's the trick to drilling harden metal & keeps bits sharp.You're not drilling through the whole bolt/nut R U? Just through the corners is enough.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the Progressive tool -- it sucks, IMO. I used it a few times, and then bought the safety wire pliers.

Not sure about the tabs, as I haven't used them. I think they're usually only used on bolts that can't be drilled (such as banjo bolts).

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I bought all of that crap. Tabs and jigs for the nuts and bolts. Couldn't even use them one time. None of it worked. Go to Sears and get yourself a $99.00 drill press and a hand full of 1/16" bits. Get the safety wire pliers (jet pliers) from whoever sells them and start drillin'.
Oh ya...And get over it!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks I guess I will have to do a Mt Dew free day to lower my caffiene then drill :crying: Still a while before I need to get serious about wiring.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about safety wiring for Grattan. All you need to wire (if you want) is the drain plug, oil filler cap, and oil filter. And don't waste your money on the Progressive tool either...I use an old pair of curved needle nosed pliers and they work fine.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:thumb: filter and drain bolt are done. Part of why I was asking is that the RC gets fresh oil pre-Grattan so I will want to rewire what is already done. The tool is because I am getting ready to place an order and can't resist tools.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts