Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

How many of you would like to see a dedicated techie forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me that as we all have PCs, smartphones, digital cameras, GPS etc Im thinking that we really could do with a forum dedicated to it:idunno:

So what do the rest of you think?

Oh I just got the new Kindle Fire HD anyone else got it?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Seems to me that as we all have PCs, smartphones, digital cameras, GPS etc Im thinking that we really could do with a forum dedicated to it:idunno:

So what do the rest of you think?

Oh I just got the new Kindle Fire HD anyone else got it?

I have PC's and digital cameras but my mobile phone is purely for phone calls (I rarely even use it for texting or photos) and I have no need for GPS.
But I might be interested in such a forum as a chance to learn some new stuff.

Tonight I'm trying to circumvent the password on my daughter's laptop. It was stolen a couple of years ago but we got it back recently. Of course, my daughter doesn't remember the password so I pulled the drive and dumped her data to my box via USB. We can now format and install Win7, but it would be easier for me if I can just find a way around the Vista password.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I have PC's and digital cameras but my mobile phone is purely for phone calls (I rarely even use it for texting or photos) and I have no need for GPS.

Tonight I'm trying to circumvent the password on my daughter's laptop. It was stolen a couple of years ago but we got it back recently. Of course, my daughter doesn't remember the password so I pulled the drive and dumped her data to my box via USB. We can now format and install Win7, but it would be easier for me if I can just find a way around the Vista password.
When all else fails, THIS works a treat.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
When all else fails, THIS works a treat.

Yep, found that from Ray's link :)
Will try it later on tonight if I get a chance and let you know how I get on.

Something else that occurred to me, I've just built a new PC and the research is always fairly grueling I find :)
I got some invaluable assistance from a South African guy on a flight sim forum and I'm very happy with the result, so much so that a mate is building another system along similar lines.
No idea whether that's something we could address or not but it might be useful to some people to be able to bounce ideas around. I was actually going to post here if I was unsuccessful on the other forum :)

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the purpose of starting this thread Larry all things techie discussed, there must be a few really good smart peeps on here.
Although I did hope for a dedicated forum, for example we have literally 3 threads in this one.
More examples are ..Window 8 just released rooting mobis and tablets, help and tricks with gadgets?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Best advice I can give for Windows 8 - DON'T DO IT !! Especially if you have to administer servers using the new Metro interface. Absolute nightmare.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Best advice I can give for Windows 8 - DON'T DO IT !! Especially if you have to administer servers using the new Metro interface. Absolute nightmare.
Nah, learn it now while you can. Everything is going that way so you'll have to learn it eventually. I prefer the server manager in 2012 over the 2K8 myself, but it does take a tad getting used to.

·
Registered
140 Posts

you can go around the password and reset it.

as the laptop is booting up, hit F5 and boot the laptop into a force safe mode.

once in safemode open the control panel and find users. in safemode you have the highest admin controls. you can adjust and or reset the password.

reboot the laptop and enjoy

·
Registered
140 Posts
i would say yes. as the forum is growing, we all will eventually have questions and problems like the one that BR is facing at the moment. a specific area for that would be convenient to say the least

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

I've built my system with Win7 64-Bit but my mate is wanting to go with Win8 - purely because it's newer. He figures he has to transition from Vista to a new OS anyway so he might as well learn the latest one.
I'm only on one game forum and most of the new posts the day after the release were Win8 problems. Something to do with poor compatibility with earlier versions of .NET I think. I have no idea though if that's an anomoly or if other games and software are having similar problems.

I was not looking forward to learning Win7 after more than ten years of XP but I'm generally impressed with it. It certainly has some annoyances but overall I think it's pretty good. I've only rebooted it once since I put it together and that only to install the video card when it finally showed up.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
you can go around the password and reset it.

as the laptop is booting up, hit F5 and boot the laptop into a force safe mode.

once in safemode open the control panel and find users. in safemode you have the highest admin controls. you can adjust and or reset the password.

reboot the laptop and enjoy

Surely it can't be as easy as that?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
If I remember correctly, as I have been on my mac for 3 years, that is definitely the way there BR!

I have apple products... I got away from a blackberry again, for the second time.. Except this time its a brand new iPhone 5 which I am loving.

Next purchase will be apple tv so I can mirror my screen onto the tv.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts