Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thanks everyone for your replys on my first post about the 900RR as a second bike. Now I'd like to draw upon your knowledge of these bikes to determine if the one I'm looking at is a bargain. Here's the details:

1994 CBR900RR, 15000 miles (claimed all highway), one owner, new tires, dent (with rust) on the left side of tank, and bondo repair of left rear plastic (on side of passenger seat). Both dent and bondo came from dog running in path and putting it down once, again the claim of the owner. Bike ran strong, sounded good and looked mint except for those two spots.

I did notice the chain was a little rusty, and I wasn't sure if that was something that just happens. I kept my last bike pretty well maintained, and never saw any rust. He's asking $3800, but I want to get him down to $3000 because of the cosmetic blemishes.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good deal. Obviously, no one really knows without seeing the bike, but like I said it looked clean (except for those two spots attributed to one accident) and ran VERY strong.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think that if you can get it for $3000 you are not doing too bad. Hell.. a 600F2 still goes for almost that much these days..

I'm sure you can find a tank on eBay that is servicable or maybe even cherry for not a whole lot.

I think that is the Captain Amercia (Red/White/Blue) scheme, correct?

- DH

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Seems high for a nearly decade old bike that isnt mint condition. Especialy when similar condition 929's have been seen for 6k. But then what do I know

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
isnt someone on here selling a 929 for $3800 obo? check the forsale/wanted section

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G-Force Junkie : Seems high for a nearly decade old bike that isnt mint condition.  Especialy when similar condition 929's have been seen for 6k.  But then what do I know
I'm planning to get into the whole 9##RR thing on the cheap, and I'm not necessarily lookin' for the latest greatest. I'm coming from an EX500 so 893ccs is plenty for me I'm sure. After all, $6000 is twice $3000. Also, he being the original owner and it having only 15K on it also draws me in a little.

On a side note, I think you can get a CarFax rpt on a motorcycle, but I'm wondering what people's experience with this is.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I dunno,rust on the chain is a bad sign to me,that is the easiest thing to maintain.Ask him for maintenance info,how many owners,etc.,remember,that is a popular bike with stunters!You might want to keep looking as that is a pretty easy bike to find,might take awhile but I always like the one owner old guys that keep it immaculate.The price is ok if no damage,I always check kbb.com in regard to price,at least it gives you a ballpark.My 2 cents, keep looking.Oh,just for the record,I recently had some surface rust on the unplated inner links on my chain,but I ride in the rain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jafo : I dunno,rust on the chain is a bad sign to me,that is the easiest thing to maintain.Ask him for maintenance info,how many owners,etc.,remember,that is a popular bike with stunters!You might want to keep looking as that is a pretty easy bike to find,might take awhile but I always like the one owner old guys that keep it immaculate.The price is ok if no damage,I always check kbb.com  in regard to price,at least it gives you a ballpark.My 2 cents, keep looking.Oh,just for the record,I recently had some surface rust on the unplated inner links on my chain,but I ride in the rain.
Thanks Jafo! Yeah the rusty chain doesn't look too good, but he lives right on the Connecticut River, so I'm thinking the sea air has something to do with it (does that happen near a river? Maybe not salt in the air but just moisture?)

Anyway, he is the original owner, and he's not exactly a kid (although he probably was about 9 years ago&#33.

NADA gives the bike:
Low retail: $3075
Ave retail: $4045
High retail: $4410

The only reason this is low retail is the cosmetics, but I think the mechanics qualify for the high retail criteria, due to the low mileage of 15K (average for a 1994 900cc bike is 43100 according to kbb.com) and one owner and all (and the rest of the bike was clean and it rode well), although admittedly I'm guessing.

Sorry for all the details, it's just my style of trying to make a decision. Hell, maybe you shouldn't be so analytical when you're buying a liter bike...the stats are stacked against you anyway! Maybe I should just force my analytical self to do something crazy like head down to the Honda dealership tomorrow pickup a new 954...at least then I'd be forced to take it easy for the break-in period!

Thanks again, I'll keep you guys posted. I may show up with some mechanical questions about a 1994 900RR (although I'm actually in the process of scanning the for sale forum to see what's up there).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts