Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new at the mods scene so go ahead and poke fun... :D I just installed a Erion full system and everything is working great. The map that i used is for the full system and stock filter. I have a k & n(i know it reduces hp, to expensive to keep buying stock) flapper valve removed.. While installing the erion, i ran into this contraption on the exhaust. Attached to two cables that ran upto some sort of servo. One of the cables went to the airbox for the flapper..No sense in leaving that in there. I removed all the cables and got all that crap off. Back to my ? is this that PAIR valvr and what purpose does it serve...Why would you want to close your exhaust and starve it for ir? JUST CURIOUS :eek: :eek: :sniper: :coolmod:

·
Registered
162 Posts
The exhaust valve is simple mechanism used to vary exhaust backpressure which has effects on both torque and horsepower output provides more backpressure at low end where torque is on the rise. However this backpressure limits top end power due to it's adverse effect on peak exhaust flow. Peak flow is required to make maximum power yet is not as effective in making low end torque.
If I am wrong just blast me guys, but I am pretty sure this is the basic function behind your valve and is essentially the same principle for any internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nillotuc said:
The exhaust valve is simple mechanism used to vary exhaust backpressure which has effects on both torque and horsepower output provides more backpressure at low end where torque is on the rise. However this backpressure limits top end power due to it's adverse effect on peak exhaust flow. Peak flow is required to make maximum power yet is not as effective in making low end torque.
If I am wrong just blast me guys, but I am pretty sure this is the basic function behind your valve and is essentially the same principle for any internal combustion engine.
That's not the pair valve, that's the htev valve the pair vale is up towards the top and front of the engine.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Make sure oyu remove the flapper as well if you are removing the cables to the servo (unless you have already done so - or pinned the flapper down)

Z...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Northy said:
And what is the function of the PAIR Valve?
It's for emissions. Injects air into the exhaust ports to burn off unspent fuel. It's where you get the popping noise on decel from.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Sirkbac said:
It's for emissions. Injects air into the exhaust ports to burn off unspent fuel. It's where you get the popping noise on decel from.
Exactly.

It's basically just an air pump that does little to hinder performance. Still, I think it's worth removing (at least it was on my FZ) if for no other reason than it cleans up the top of the motor and makes access to the spark plugs much easier.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Bdonkadonk74 said:
Thanks a bunch, i had that thing off when i changed my plugs,didn't know what it was though. doesn't the two hosesthat point down goto the cylinder head cover. Do you just plug the holes?
Yes, plug it. You can use Dan Kyle's (fancier) block off plates or just go to the Auto parts store and pick up 5/8" bypass caps made by HELP. You'll need (3), (2) at the cover and (1) on the airbox. Clamp all (3) with either zip ties or metal clamps. Not sure what's available in Germany. :smilebig:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts