Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the shop inspect my front, rear, and stearing bearings real quick on a bike I considered buying.

The mechanic just put it on the kickstand (single, not the center type that lifts the front tire), and pulled the handlebars hard so the tire lifted and another mechanic inspected the bearings. On the rear wheel he did something similar, not quite sure what he did, but I think he pulled the front break, turned full left, and just pushed hard on the handlebars, and that was enough to lift the rear wheel to lift it for inspection.

Is this a normal way of doing things, and is it 100% ok for the kickstand, or is this something to be avoided?

I'm asking for two use cases. It would be real convenient for lubricating chain when on trips, becauae one could just spin the wheel and have the chain lubricated in seconds. The other is for checking the stearing bearings, would be nice to do this every now and then to make sure things are tight and nice.

Thanks for helping :)

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
And now the opposite view.

I won't do it and despise mechanics who use the sidestand as a lifting tool. Perhaps as stated above it will do no harm, but I do not believe they are made to withstand the full 200-odd kilos of our bikes.

On some bikes, the stand has bent slightly giving the bike a greater lean angle when on side stand. On others, it has weakened the mounting bolt.

A true case of each to their own I guess.(y)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My theory is than when it’s pulled over on the stand whilst the bike is at an angle the stand is nigh on vertical so the weight is straight up and down, although the mounting point may not be exactly there.

Surely you’ve sat on a bike on its stand or left a pillion sat on it. Either way they will be putting extra load on the stand in a normal parked position. I’m also sure manufacturers over engineer the the mount because they don’t want It to snap, they don’t want a law suit (esp in the US) because someone got hurt from one snapping, and because they all know mechanics will do exactly what the OP said!! 🤣

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I lean mine on the sidestand and turn it right around in my garage, done this for years and years and years, no problems so no, in simple terms, it wont do any harm.

I have been doing the same thing for over 30+ years with no ill effect.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I’ve seen salesman in bike shops pivot a bike on its side stand to move them around and I’ve always been a surprised at this, especially in front of a customer. It’s not something I would do, the pivot bolt was not designed to take 180 kgs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies and insights :) I guess I fall in the category, "this probably wont do any harm, especially when you do it right and keep it very balanced while pulling, but I'll try to do it only when really needed". That means I will probably only use it if I'm taking a suficient long ride to need to lube the chain, or if I hit rain.

By the way, had someone pull my current bike up so I could just check the front bearings real quick, and as mentioned above,when you lift it like that, all the bike wants to do i spin around, so I can understand why some use this for a quick turnarround in their garage :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts