Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Does Your '08 Blade Burn Oil?

• No, my Blade is tighter than a frog's arse and that's watertight!!

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • Yes, my Blade has burned a little oil but not enough to worry about!

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Yes, my Blade burns more oil than a tramp steamer!

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Yes, my Blade burns oil and smokes like a cheap muffler!

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least for those like myself sitting on the fence and trying to decide whether to spring for a new Blade, I thought it was time to run a poll and get some hard numbers.

Kruz:patriot:

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Fireblade is working like a :lilangel: with Motul. Don't try to keep oil in the dipstick upper mark. It lowers 1/3 between the upper and lower marks in first 100 miles after oil change and stay there all the oil change interval.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I don't have a '08 but what I see so far is that approximately 30% burn oil. To me as a possible buyer this is a concern.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a '08 but what I see so far is that approximately 30% burn oil. To me as a possible buyer this is a concern.
Right and for that reason I'm putting off buying at least until '09. You can have a bad machine or two come off any assembly line but statistically this points to a design or manufacturing flaw. Just my .02

Kruz:patriot:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 08 Blade has burned 1 litre in 4,000 miles (850 cc during the first 3,500 miles, including a European tour through the Alps, plus 150 cc added recently). This is 'not excessive' so far as Honda are concerned. The bike doesn't smoke, and does run like the proverbial train off a cliff :) (indicated 176 mph at the 'Ring).

I am told that most high output engines use some oil when running in, and certainly my '98 R1 used oil when thrashed in the first few months.

If it continues to use oil at this rate when running synthetic oil after the 4K service, I will ask Honda UK for their view.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well i have well documented my feelings with regards to oil use 1ltr at 1300 miles. and another 1/2 litre at 2200, Honda UK monitoring via dealer now, but having parted with nearly £10.000, nowhere in the advertising did it, say it would use this much oil.?I love the bike it rides like its on casters and pulls like a train, but can i put up with the oil use the jurys out
corona:thumbd:

·
Registered
207 Posts
About 7500 miles on mine right now and don't burn any oil...My bike on the weekends is constantly in the 10,000 RPM range in 2nd and 3rd gear majority of the time.

Right now still using Honda oil, will switch out to Honda synthetic next change:thumb:.

·
Registered
8 Posts
honda uk got back to me today and said that my oil loss (1.5 litres 1800 miles) is within their tolerance, my feeling at the moment is that if i wanted to buy a two stroke i would have..... It is intereting to find out that some of you lucky guys have not had this issue:confused: , which leaves me to believe that this is more of hit and miss thing.. So where does that leave us unlucky few (doing our own oil service for a £9k bike) :mad: Love the all of the bike except this issue..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Probably been debated before, like to know that everyone who has the oil burning issue like to know how you broke your bike in...

Hard break in.
Honda recommend break in.

I have broke in 4 new Honda's all the same way, first 300 miles I vary the RPM and gear...First 100 miles do not take it past 7000RPM, 100 to 200 miles rev it to 9000RPM once I hit 300 miles I flog the crap out of it..

Change the oil run the piss out of it for another 300 miles then change the oil again.

After that I change it every 2500 miles.

Never had a problem with burning oil in any of my bikes...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably been debated before, like to know that everyone who has the oil burning issue like to know how you broke your bike in...

Hard break in.
Honda recommend break in.

I have broke in 4 new Honda's all the same way, first 300 miles I vary the RPM and gear...First 100 miles do not take it past 7000RPM, 100 to 200 miles rev it to 9000RPM once I hit 300 miles I flog the crap out of it..

Change the oil run the piss out of it for another 300 miles then change the oil again.

After that I change it every 2500 miles.

Never had a problem with burning oil in any of my bikes...
Different bikes, but over on the ZX-14 forums we also had this debate over break in procedure. Some said ride it like you stole it straight off the parking lot,:eyebrows: others babied the bike the first thousand or so then slowly wicked it up. :rotfl: Bottom line, I have never heard a single complaint about the big Kwackers burning oil no matter how they were broken in, its not even an issue. What's my point?:idunno: With modern manufacturing tolerances, break in is not near as critical as it used to be. Engines are way more tolerant of break in procedure today than in the past.:thumb:
Honda has already bought back one of the bikes in England that was burning oil and may have bought back others as well.:clap: Why do you think they did this? Out of the kindness of their hearts? :hmm: I can guarantee that machine has been whisked off to Japan and is undergoing intensive scrutiny by engineers to figure this out.:rant: If this poll is representative it shows almost 40% are not satisfied with oil consumption on their Blade. That's alot. :thumbd: Just my .02

·
Registered
207 Posts
Different bikes, but over on the ZX-14 forums we also had this debate over break in procedure. Some said ride it like you stole it straight off the parking lot,:eyebrows: others babied the bike the first thousand or so then slowly wicked it up. :rotfl: Bottom line, I have never heard a single complaint about the big Kwackers burning oil no matter how they were broken in, its not even an issue. What's my point?:idunno: With modern manufacturing tolerances, break in is not near as critical as it used to be. Engines are way more tolerant of break in procedure today than in the past.:thumb:
Honda has already bought back one of the bikes in England that was burning oil and may have bought back others as well.:clap: Why do you think they did this? Out of the kindness of their hearts? :hmm: I can guarantee that machine has been whisked off to Japan and is undergoing intensive scrutiny by engineers to figure this out.:rant: If this poll is representative it shows almost 40% are not satisfied with oil consumption on their Blade. That's alot. :thumbd: Just my .02
I think it will get as far as my paint issue:thumbd: with my bike. Hope for the people that have problems it gets remedied:thumb:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Kruz we need to add a second pole. It seems to me every one having issues is a bike from the UK. Can we do another and seperate the origin of the bikes?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Its actually 37% are having problems.. I think.. lol.. 10 out of 27 are having some sort of oil burning issue.. Thats 37%, seems kind of high... But its still early.. It does seem like more UK bikes have the problem, but I also think the oil consuption is dependant on how your drive it and how many miles are on the bike, mine seems to get worse with the more miles I put on it.. I have almost 11,000 already..

1 - 20 of 75 Posts