Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link.

All who must answer a cell phone should have hands free devices.
Beginning September 1, 2003, you can get a ticket for driving and
talking on a cell phone unless you are using a 'hands-free' device (speaker
phone, ear piece) in Texas!

Edit: This is coming up in the House, not a law yet, I hope it passes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Don't all cell phones come with an earpiece for handsfree talking? Everyone I've bought did. A whole lot easier to drive and talk if you have the phone secure in some kind of 'mount' and an earpiece.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at the price, if the infraction occurs in a school zone, it's more than double, It's about time they made a law (trying to at least) to bust the SUV driving, cell phone talking, soccermom, in Cartman voice 'kick ass'.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish. I read a study once that said talking on the cellphone equaled the same impairment of .08 Blood Alcohol level, which is illegal. So little Susie on her cellphone gets a $50 fine, the person with .08 BAC, gets drivers license suspended, jail, etc, etc. Isn't the law great

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Serial Thriller : Quote (booth23 @ Sep. 15 2003, 1:28pm)It's about time they made a law (trying to at least) to bust the SUV driving, cell phone talking, soccermom, in Cartman voice 'kick ass'.
Are there sub-sections about applying make-up while driving?  Or turning around to smack a kid in the backseat?
She shouldn't get punished for being a good parent now should she??

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
MAC, yes she (and he) should. This is a huge, serious pet peeve of mine also. I don't know how many times I have had to lock up the brakes because of some flaming asshole preoccupied with his/her cellphone. I have come really close to forcing someone off the road and shoving his phone up his ass, but unfortunately I would lose in court. It is a problem way beyond makeup, etc. And yes, I realize (hope) you were being facetious.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's a state law here already, and a useless and frivolous one at that. It's not holding a cell phone thats distracting, it's the conversation, so the only solution there is no cell phones at all. Now I'm not saying the dialing and button pushing isn't distracting, but the law dosn't cover that, and you still have to do it with a headset. At least mine anyway. And It's pretty much ignored , people here still do it constantly, the police don't seem to enforce it. Just another unenforced law to potentially increase state coffers, or satisfy insurance companies IMO.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, it is time for this. I can't believe it took this long. This new law strikes much closer to home now, since we recently lost a friend from our motorcycle club because of some stupid bitch on her cell phone (blew straight through a red light at over 40 mph, and slammed into the back of the car that was behind our friend. The police reported that there were no skidmarks whatsoever meaning she never even hit the frickin brakes&#33 And because her conversation was so f#cking important, one of our friends had his life snuffed out at age 23. I feel that people who talk on cell phones while driving and cause an accident should be charged with something similar to a DUI as it does impair your driving skills. Oh well, I guess enough ranting for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts