Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've popped in from time to time, but It's been a while since I posted on here. In fact this was my last post: For Sale: 1993 CBR900RRP FireBlade

However, I do have a very good excuse.....in June last year Bev and I did a 3-week 2,800 miles Euro road trip (Spain, South of France, Italy, Switzerland and home via Calais) in our 1972 Triumph TR6. I’ve attached a link to the photos of the trip if anyone fancies a flick through: Triumph TR6 Tour: 7-26 June 2019 (3 weeks/2,800 miles)

Unfortunately I had a stroke and a few seizures soon after we returned from our driving holiday (but it wasn't related to the driving) so had to surrender my licence to the DVLA for a year, but things are now looking good and my recovery is going in the right direction to getting it back in early July. Fortunately I have no long-lasting physical damage, but it's been a scary time and I now look forward to a gradual return to work in March, then driving my cars and riding my bikes again from July.

In the meantime the commissioning of my 1970 CB750 K1 has slowed down to a walking pace, but has proved a real tonic in my rehab. A few photos below with my 1976 Kawasaki Z900 - the K1 needs needs final assembly, new tires and the carbs balancing, but I've got until July to get it done. Bring on the sunshine!

Hope to be more active in the future.

Cheers, and all the best,
Andrew
PS - I like the new format.

20 Dec 19 - Forks Off.jpg IMG-0047.JPG 6 Feb 20 (1).JPG 6 feb 20 (3).JPG

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Hi Andrew. It took the pic of the CB750 for me to remember you! You might recall now that I had one from new.

Anyway, good to see you're up and running again. I never know how to respond to the 'health scare' type posts, but just good to know that you're through it now. Truth is that it can happen to anyone at any age at any time. Not the nicest thought.

You're not missing much weather-wise in UK. Hopefully we're all be full-on in a few weeks!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,115 Posts
Wow, very sorry for the health issue Andrew! However, VERY excited that you are rehabbing and it's coming along good. Good grief sir! I'm also excited that you have returned to give us an update. Your TR experience sounded fantastic. The 2 70's bikes are looking GREAT. Keep on the rehab tonic! And stay in touch here.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ian and Nigel, your comments are appreciated. It's been a tough time since July 19 but I'm on the downward run now. I'm lucky as it could have been far worse.

Nigel,
Yes, I do remember that you had a K1 - Apple red I believe?

Ian,
The 70's was a great time for bikes and I'm glad I was part of it first time round.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Nigel,
Yes, I do remember that you had a K1 - Apple red I believe?
Yes. I was living in Australia at the time. Candy Apple Red was its correct name over there. We also had the gold and a few of the 'yukky' green which was nearly an army green.

I was in the early days of my a motorcycle mechanic 'career' at the time and had had a CB175 for about 18 months. I was working for a Yamaha dealer and was on the verge of upgrading to the then new XS650 (gold). Like most people, I lusted after the CB750 because of its size and the way the motor just hung out the sides of the fuel tank. However, the Honda was considerably dearer than the Yamaha (and still are, by the way!!) but my father came to the rescue and offered to go guarantor on a finance loan for me. The deal was done in approx April of 1971 for the then cost of $AU1650.00. Serious bragging rights then of course. First bike with a disc brake and those 4 pipes out the back!! (Shortly after I left the Yamaha dealer and went to work for the dealer from where I purchased the 'Four'.

Did a lot of miles on it but later converted it to a race bike. Bored out to 820cc using CB350 pistons and running on methanol. Factory second disc up front, factory alloy race tank and fairings made for it etc. Won many races across Victoria, South Australia and Symmons Plains in Tasmania.

All came to an end - as it does for many of us - when a woman began stealing my attention. Ah, the mistakes we make in life! :eek:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I was living in Australia at the time. Candy Apple Red was its correct name over there. We also had the gold and a few of the 'yukky' green which was nearly an army green.

I was in the early days of my a motorcycle mechanic 'career' at the time and had had a CB175 for about 18 months. I was working for a Yamaha dealer and was on the verge of upgrading to the then new XS650 (gold). Like most people, I lusted after the CB750 because of its size and the way the motor just hung out the sides of the fuel tank. However, the Honda was considerably dearer than the Yamaha (and still are, by the way!!) but my father came to the rescue and offered to go guarantor on a finance loan for me. The deal was done in approx April of 1971 for the then cost of $AU1650.00. Serious bragging rights then of course. First bike with a disc brake and those 4 pipes out the back!! (Shortly after I left the Yamaha dealer and went to work for the dealer from where I purchased the 'Four'.

Did a lot of miles on it but later converted it to a race bike. Bored out to 820cc using CB350 pistons and running on methanol. Factory second disc up front, factory alloy race tank and fairings made for it etc. Won many races across Victoria, South Australia and Symmons Plains in Tasmania.

All came to an end - as it does for many of us - when a woman began stealing my attention. Ah, the mistakes we make in life! :eek:
Great story Nigel, and such an infinity and racing history with the CB750. My first big bike was a 1971 CB750 K1 which I bought in the summer 76 when I was 19. I loved that bike, but always lusted after a Z900, but my attention was turned by a 16 (and a half) year old girl and we married in 1981 - apparently the 'half' bit is important, so I'm told. We're still married and I now have Z900 and a K1, so it's gotta be a win-win. :)

Here's my old K1 in Richmond Park in June 77.
My Honda 1972 CB750 K1 (JML 60K)- June 1977.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Here's my old K1 in Richmond Park in June 77.
So great seeing pics of these bikes. And thinking back to the things we did - or didn't do then.

When they first came out, there was no such thing as Akrapovics or Arrows, the best we could do was remove the baffles, and the 8mm securing bolt was actually welded in! No titanium 'full systems' but I did end up buying a Dunstall 4 into 2 system before changing to 4 into 1 for racing. We might have put on flat bars or 'Ace' bars, but there were no 'flapper mods', Power Commanders, friggin' ECU flashes and remaps, quickshifters, 'must have' Ohlins and Brembos, etc.

And you know what? Most of us from that era were happy with a stock bike. We made the most of what we had and enjoyed every minute of it. Look at today's markets and we hear first up after someone buys a bike: 'What mods are you going to do?' Friggin' mods. Rad guard, tail tidy, and pillion seat seat cowl does it for me!!

Anyway, liking that Arai helmet, Andrew. Just did a 'Google' search on it. Reasonable value too. BUT, I also found a brilliant one for the new 2020 Blade, except the damn thing's worth £769.00. I'll have to wait for the £180.00 crap copies!!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Hi Andrew and welcome back, I’m so sorry to hear about your health issues, I really hope you make a speedy recovery.

your old Blade is still with me under a cover in the garage not getting enough use but I’ve no plans to part with, I’m so glad I called you that day and ended up buying it, it was meant to be!

here is the old girl looking as good as ever!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Andrew and welcome back, I’m so sorry to hear about your health issues, I really hope you make a speedy recovery.

your old Blade is still with me under a cover in the garage not getting enough use but I’ve no plans to part with, I’m so glad I called you that day and ended up buying it, it was meant to be!

here is the old girl looking as good as ever!

Thanks Gunk, it's been a tough road but getting my licence back is a major motivating force.

Yep, my old Blade is still looking great and I'm glad you are still enjoying; it's definitely a keeper.

Welcome back Mr P, some things do put life into perspective and you just have to reevaluate priorities for a while, as we both seem to have done. Best wishes.

Cheers, Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Thanks Gunk, it's been a tough road but getting my licence back is a major motivating force.

Yep, my old Blade is still looking great and I'm glad you are still enjoying; it's definitely a keeper.

Welcome back Mr P, some things do put life into perspective and you just have to reevaluate priorities for a while, as we both seem to have done. Best wishes.

Cheers, Andrew
Yes Andrew, as you go through life , it knocks you down time and time again, and as you get older the frequency seems to increase, but what can you do except keep getting up, (y)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts