Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4520430.stm

The blast was about ten miles east from me, so we were woken as the big, first explosion happened around 6am. Thought it was a military jet going through the sound barrier (not good on distinguishing big bangs, never having served in the forces), but soon there were lots of sirens as emergency vehicles made their way to the fire. The sky by mid morning was half blue, half black as there was virtually no wind near the ground, but higher level winds took the smoke westwards so all we have now is a black cloud on the horizon.

Most of the emergency sirens later in the day were police vehicles as the closure of the M10 and M1 caused traffic chaos all round St Albans.

Fortunately, nobody died and it happened at weekend so nearby offices were deserted, otherwise the broken glass would have hurt many. It's the main depot for aviation fuel for Heathrow and Luton airports as well as a general fuel depot. Served by two pipelines, one out to Heathrow and one in from the refinery on the East coast. It sounds like an accident rather than terrorist action.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Talking to a bloke this morning in Warwick. tells me it woke him up sunday morning and he's about 70 miles away. :eek:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plume of smoke got all the way to Poole in Dorset before the Channel winds dispersed it. All schools within 10 miles are closed (I'm told because the emergency services can't cover them, rather than the public danger of pollution announcement). They seem to be getting it slowly under control, but there are still three tanks on fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts