Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm back from my winter away.....and now, I have a problem...The 'Blade won't charge when running. :idunno:

When riding around I'll have full power to my gauges, and she'll run forever, but once I turn her off she won't restart, you just get the standard low battery struggle from the starter and all the gauges go dim.

All the grounds and connections are good. When I check the Voltage on the Battery at idle its around 13.5v, climbs to 14ish in the low RPM's, then once I hit 5500 RPM voltage drops to around 5v.:huh:

The battery takes a charge on a batter-tender, so i'm fairly certain it's not the battery.

Any Ideas??? I'm hoping its only the Reg-rect (not sure if im testing it right, but it seems OK) but that voltage drop makes me think its the stator.

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
:welcome: back TattooedGQ.....

would guess the reg/rectifier or stator... there is test procedures in the manual for both.....

does the starter spin correctly if you connect straight to a good battery?

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
Hey Bob goo to type to you again....That's what I'm going to have to do. And yes, It starts right up with no problems just off the tender.
might be worth testing the battery properly first....

.... i Know how stupid it feels to chase electrical issues only to find I'd only tested the Volt and not the amps:O

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was thinking that, I took it to my local parts store and they "couldn't test motorcycle batteries" Guess I ought to get my hands on an ammeter eventually. :thumb:

·
Registered
902 Posts
I recon you got a batt issue, not holding its charge and not able to take a full charge.If the batt has been left for any length of time it will die.
If it was down to me i would change it.

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking that, I took it to my local parts store and they "couldn't test motorcycle batteries" Guess I ought to get my hands on an ammeter eventually. :thumb:
:hmm: you could try the tongue test..... not very reliable, but as amusing to watch as someone finding a hiddden electric fence by p!ssin in a hedge:D

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rick...I was thinking that, but it takes a full charge on a trickle charger and doesn't lose voltage if it's sitting for a few days....think that matters??

OK Bob, I'll do the tongue test....and take some vids for ya!! hahaha

·
Registered
745 Posts
My mate had a similar problem... (97 blade).
An battery is DC (direct current) and the engine / alternator produces AC (alternating current)
His battery could hold charge and was just producing enough current to charge the battery when there were no lights on. when he ran the engine with the lights on it killed the battery! He would just start in on a weekend, and ride for a while and that would charge the battery enough for the problem to go for a few days!

Sorry to dissapoint, but that was a Reg / Rec issue. £80 (davidsilverspares.com) and the problem has been gone for two weeks.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks Milzy!! I was hoping it was a reg/rec problem. They're pretty cheap on ebay so I'll try that first.
Dont know if there are any diagnostics to check for sure.... but i would see if you can find some before you spend cash!

I have come a cropper to things like that before......£120 later and it was a broken wire in the loom!

Good Luck

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I've done the same...that's why I didn't run out and get a stator. The bikes got 20K miles on it, and it's the orig Reg/Rec, so i figure even if that's not the problem, it'll be on its way out anyway.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Combined....

We will save you tattoo!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys....I gotta find a place that tests batteries. I took it to a pep-boys...told me they couldn't test motorcycle batteries....

And I like the idea of saving me a Tattoo!! I might just be inspired. hahaha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.