Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I lowered Princess' 600RR, I also shortened the kickstand. I cut a section out, put a piece of rebar with JB Weld in the hollow opening to stabilize it, put the two pieces back together flush, and used more JB Weld to hold the seam together (with the intention of having it welded over at a later date). It had been holding up fine, but I still wanted to have it welded to be safe.

Well, that later date came a couple of weeks ago when my dad got a new welder. He hadn't done any welding in MANY years, so he had his neighbor (who is a certified welder) come over and do it. The JB Weld kept boiling out and blowing all the molten metal out, leaving big gaps. He didn't think he would be able to salvage it at first, but he kept trying. Once all the JB Weld had been burned out, it went a little smoother. He ended up doing a very good job (though, he said he wouldn't want to put his name on it). Once we ground it smooth and repainted it, it looked as good as stock.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ironic that you finally welded it, after using something called JB Weld.......... :D

even more ironic, that after, technically "gluing" your kickstand back together, it held............ :clap: :rotfl:

i used JB Weld on a pot-metal carb bowl off an old Harley once. it held and didn't leak gas for the 6 years i owned it...!!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
A man of your means and stature should have at least a 110V MIG welder in his garage anyway.... :poke:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Baketech said:
A man of your means and stature should have at least a 110V MIG welder in his garage anyway.... :poke:

:wstupid:

JB Weld is some good stuff though. It probably would have held longer than the bike will exist.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Now ya know why the 929 hasn't been a subject of conversation for quite some time.... I have some cleaning up to do. :crap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts