Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving the bike (1993 streetfightered blade) a well needed service and fixing a few ongoing problems. One item I'm considering is a dyno jet kit. After reading a bit on the net it seems they can be quite difficult to set up. So is it worth spending the £130ish on a kit and attempting it myself or taking it somewhere and having them fit it and do a bit of testing on the bike to set it up correctly, the cost for this being around £350.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I've always found installing the kits to be fairly easy. Dialing them in can be a bit of a challenge, depending on how well you can interpret what the bike does into the proper adjustment needed. Generally, the adjustments needed will be to needle clip position and fuel mixture screw setting.

Neil

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,854 Posts
I'm giving the bike (1993 streetfightered blade) a well needed service and fixing a few ongoing problems. One item I'm considering is a dyno jet kit. After reading a bit on the net it seems they can be quite difficult to set up. So is it worth spending the £130ish on a kit and attempting it myself or taking it somewhere and having them fit it and do a bit of testing on the bike to set it up correctly, the cost for this being around £350.
I know you’re in the UK, but Dynojet kits are a bit fiddly in my opinion. They use their own jets, that don’t match up to size designations as say a Factory Pro Kit. Factory uses genuine Keihin jets, and the number stamped on them is the size of the opening, and corresponds to additional jets available directly from Honda. There have been times where my modifications have gone beyond the capability of the jet kit, for example when the kit only provides 1 added set of main jets and I knew I needed to continue to richen up full throttle top end acceleration, I went to Honda and got 2 sizes worth of larger genuine Keihin jets (kit provided 118’s and I needed 120’s and 122’s). You can’t do that with Dynojet jets. Their numbers are proprietary.

As far as ease of installation goes, the typical backyard mechanic/enthusiast will have no problems with installation. The hardest part will be taking the carbs off the bike, and putting them back on.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I'd recommend the Factory Pro kit as well, it's very comprehensive and as Ian says the jet numbering is consistent with the original jets which avoids a load of confusion. The FP kit also comes with new springs which I don't think the DJ kit does, and there used to be many complaints about the DJ needles causing premature wear of the emulsion tubes as well, another reason I avoided them.

My RRW has a full Akropovic exhaust system and a modified airbox (the so called "viking mod") which needed the largest main jets in the Factory Pro jet kit, but it runs perfectly over all throttle openings and engine RPM and the top end has surprised quite a few people that have ridden it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a look on the factory pro site but can't find a link to the jet kits, could someone post a link. Thanks

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
The Factory Pro kit is designed to have the partition cut out of the airbox (i.e. the Viking mod), and instructions are included on how to do this.

I can also recommend the Factory Pro shift star kit for the 900RR, it made a noticeable improvement to shift quality on my bike.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,854 Posts
The Factory Pro kit is designed to have the partition cut out of the airbox (i.e. the Viking mod), and instructions are included on how to do this.

I can also recommend the Factory Pro shift star kit for the 900RR, it made a noticeable improvement to shift quality on my bike.
I think this mod may be snake oil, but I did it as well, who really knows.

When I built my first 900 back in the 90’s I did my own mod (gutted the air box), and used my own Uni filters inside the box. Here are some shots of the actual Factory Air Box Plus Kit

711D95A3-6E2E-454A-905D-C3F056D123A4.jpeg

ED319D2B-D814-4B47-A63A-761B428EF4AB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I think this mod may be snake oil, but I did it as well, who really knows.

When I built my first 900 back in the 90’s I did my own mod (gutted the air box), and used my own Uni filters inside the box. Here are some shots of the actual Factory Air Box Plus Kit

View attachment 91262

View attachment 91264
Not sure I'd want to destroy a good serviceable airbox though :wink

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd recommend the Factory Pro, it's very comprehensive and the jet numbering is consistent with the original jets which avoids a load of confusion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts