Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
What kind of crack are you smoking? There is no detrimental effects of having more octane, only less. The only down side is you threw away your money and didn't benefit from it, but the engine will never give you less performance from increases in pump rated octane.
Um... wrong. Do you know what an octane rating means? Higher octane=harder to ignite. Same ignition/compression with fuel that is harder to ignite=less efficient burn. Less efficient burn=lower performance.

Dont believe me? Try putting some race fuel in your bike and start it on a cold day.

Of course an octane thats too low=detonation which is obviously the greater of 2 evils.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Pump fuel is 87 to 93 in our country for the standard. There is nothing 93 will do to effect any production bike. I do know what octane means and you didn't define it in the least. Race fuel is not part of my comment. Most bikes have at least 10:1 compression ratio, so 93 is not too much octane for any of them, but 87 may be too low.

·
Registered
478 Posts
What kind of crack are you smoking? There is no detrimental effects of having more octane, only less. The only down side is you threw away your money and didn't benefit from it, but the engine will never give you less performance from increases in pump rated octane.
Maybe you should get your sh!t straight before you hand out negative rep by the way.

Hell a 2 min google search would educate you

·
Registered
478 Posts
Pump fuel is 87 to 93 in our country for the standard. There is nothing 93 will do to effect any production bike. I do know what octane means and you didn't define it in the least. Race fuel is not part of my comment, and I still think you're on crack. Most bikes have at least 10:1 compression ratio, so 93 is not too much octane for any of them, but 87 may be too low.
You can buy 86 from the pump in several states as well as E85

93 will absolutely affect a bike that is tuned for 87, make it harder to start, and cause buildup from unburnt fuel.

Race Fuel is just higher octane fuel for the most part, the stabilizers may be different for the extreme octanes but its the same premise.

Compression ratio isnt the only part of the equation and what is "too much"? If its higher than your bike is tuned for it costs more and hurts performance, even if its by a tiny fraction why would you pay more for less performance?

Thats why i said GET WHAT YOUR BIKE IS TUNED FOR, not get a lower octane

My 600rr is tuned for 91, guess what i put in it? 91! what a concept! 93 would only cost more and lose power, 87 would make it retard timing to compensate for any knock.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Higher octane fuel will only hurt its performance. (unless its tuned for it)
It may not benefit the bike, but, it will absolutely not hurt it's performance.

Did you find any articles yet?
All the folklore of horrible side effects just isn't happen on "pump" gas, 87 to 93. Again, compression ratio is has the biggest effect on octane requirements. Most bikes, 10:1, any of those will run fine on 93, or 89.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wrong. It will not benefit the bike, but, it will absolutely not hurt it's performance. -1, well deserved.

Did you find any articles to prove me wrong yet? Like your tag says, "Show me." All that happens is you threw some money away. All the folklore of horrible side effects just isn't happen on "pump" gas, 87 to 93. Again, compression ratio is has the biggest effect on octane requirements. Most bikes, 10:1, any of those will run fine on 93, or 89.
"For other engines, using a fuel with a higher octane rating than the vehicle requires sends unburned fuel into the emissions system and catalytic converter. This puts unecessary stress on the emissions system. For some vehicles, a rotten egg smell coming from the tailpipe signals use of too-high octane gas."

Which Gasoline Should You Buy - Gasoline Chemistry

That took literally 30 seconds

·
Banned
681 Posts
"For other engines, using a fuel with a higher octane rating than the vehicle requires sends unburned fuel into the emissions system and catalytic converter. This puts unecessary stress on the emissions system. For some vehicles, a rotten egg smell coming from the tailpipe signals use of too-high octane gas."

Which Gasoline Should You Buy - Gasoline Chemistry

That took literally 30 seconds
Once again, we're talking motorcycles, and last time I checked, I don't have a catalytic converter or tailpipes. Spend another 30 seconds and think. :thumbd::rotfl:

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
:hmm: Had a reported post in here, just popping to have a nose round and remind everyone to play nicely :D

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Sounds plausible for a cruiser. Never seen such a result on a sportsbike though. I assume your bike gets its speedo reading from the front wheel?
I can sorta confirm them results.....

but only from my days on smaller CC bikes..

& this is exactly what I figured.......
:rotfl::rotfl:
Naturally a fireblade and what I changed, may yield different results, also different results from let's say a Hayabusa, but I do know my bandit 1200 never reached redline with the stock gear. Many bikes do not. Adding a larger jet, pipe, K&N, and gear change (-1), each change helped it reach a new high peak. The most noticeable was the gear change at the end.
altho I would say... I always thought this was becouse the engines standard top gear was too high a ratio jump. effectivly killing the ecceleration
admitedly though.... if you did have two weeks of straight roads, favorable winds and didn't die of boredom waiting for the revs to creep upwards stock woulda yeilded a faster top end.. it's just the lower gear made it more real world freindly

err... if that makes sence
:D

Speaking of myths dispelled, BUY THE OCTANE YOUR BIKE IS TUNED FOR, if the manual says 87 and its stock, buy 87. Higher octane fuel will only hurt its performance. (unless its tuned for it)
again, my experiences also suggest you can be using too high an octane.....

I tried switching to the OLD BP super plus. when it first came out I had a ZXR which I made the assumption (believed the hype) it would run better on a higher octain. but with the addition of super plus it ran like a bag of spanners, drunk fuel like an alcaholic at a free bar and I never used the stuff again:smilebig:

but some people still swear they get good results, I didn't, so don't ever use it (even though all the original PLUS fuels have been replaced. I guessed they the same just, rebranded* and never tried them again)

*changed the name, same stuff in the can

·
Registered
126 Posts
Look guys.
Gas is some seriously complex crap. For real,and the mere idea of keeping the reasoning to octane,MON or RON i don´t care,is completely besides the point from a performance POW.

True is that octane rating and the need thereof is based on dynamic compression ratio,but as far as octane impact that is about as far as it goes.

One quart of gas(approx 1 liter to us euro folks) can contain between 17 and 19000 BTU;s and the inherent energy thereof is what sets it all "on fire".
However,as we dwell on this a little deeper it starts to become complex for real.

For instance is something known as Reids vapour number measured and this at varying temps.
That a fuel is aromatic is important as that to an extent is a measure of how willing it is to react with surrounding oxygen-amongst others.

IOW,it is kind of detrimental to for instance speak of amount of BTU;s alone(or KiloJoules or whatever) as that basicaly tells us of inherent energy amount. NOT the fuels will to connect to the other component needed for a burn to happen.

As one starts to dive into this area a little deeper one soon becomes very very humble of the fact that it is an extremely complex field of expertise.

Suffice it to say that it MIGHT very well keep merit that a lesser octane fuel at the pumps actualy carries MORE inherent and latent energy than its higher octane counterpart. Octane rating is completely besides the point as far as reference in this case.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts