Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation in a nutshell...

Current job:

The good: Good pay, good benefits, fairly light and mostly easy workload, travel 4-6x a year, pretty stable environment in a very solid and growing industry.

The bad: Fairly boring, very predictable, not really exposed to new things, poor department leadership(that's being generous), no one to really learn from, not a whole lot of room for career advancement.

Potential job:

The good: Currently it is a one man show and he needs help, good business plan, and lots of deals in the works, lots of potential for growth, exposure to many different clients/environments/systems.

The bad: Initial pay cut, much smaller benefit package, relatively new business, so not as stable,

I'm not sure what to do here...my biggest concern is the stability...with the market still being in the pits(especially here) I really don't want to risk being out of a job...but on the other hand I would love to advance my career and really work towards the goals that I have set for myself.

I realize that risks are a part of life, and it's better to make calculated ones rather than rushed ones but it's still not easy.

:allears: :popcorn: :woowoo: :plunge: :gve:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
First off, you're young. This means your responsibilities are probably fairly minimal. (like yourself only)

If this is the case, there's not much risk IMO. It's pretty easy to get buy if you don't have any dependants, no mortgage, etc etc.

If you think the guy has a solid head on his shoulders, a decent business plan, and some kind of financing, I think I'd probably go for it.

But then again, I fear nothing in life as much as being bored. ;)

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
So you are helping to start the business in effect. The pay cut should be rewarded with potential gain down the road (stocks or opportunity) if not you are taking risk to increase the chance someone else will prosper :idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Would you be getting any equity in the business?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
luvtolean said:
First off, you're young. This means your responsibilities are probably fairly minimal. (like yourself only)
I live at home and don't have anything to pay for other than my bike/car/school loans.

luvtolean said:
If you think the guy has a solid head on his shoulders, a decent business plan, and some kind of financing, I think I'd probably go for it.
Like it says in the first post, I've known him for ~5 years and initially for a few years we were riding buddies. He knows that customer service goes a long way and that's what he's basing his business on. His rates are reasonable(well below the competition) and he's determined to provide excellent service. He wants to treat his "customers" as partners, not just customers.

luvtolean said:
But then again, I fear nothing in life as much as being bored. ;)
That's probably my biggest gripe about my current job. I can handle pretty much anything that's thrown at me with ease. I'm not challenged a bit.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
ND4SPD said:
That's probably my biggest gripe about my current job. I can handle pretty much anything that's thrown at me with ease. I'm not challenged a bit.
You, me, and most people.

ND4SPD said:
He's offering profit sharing as part of my compensation.
Sweet.

Sounds like you will never in your life be in a better position to take a "risk" like this.:thumb:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sheepofblue said:
Ask for info from previous years. I would be a bit worried on the pricing being significantly less as that is seldom profitable.
He started this gig 6 months ago. As of now he has 20-25 hours worth of work/week for whoever he will hire. He can't continue to sign contracts until he hires someone because he can't do both anymore. His goal is to have ~25 employee's in 3 years. That would potentially make me the number 2 guy in the company and possibly give me some serious project management skills.

EDIT: He gave me some numbers...significant does not equal ridiculously low prices, should've been more clear on that. It's $20-$30 less/hr than other companies.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I say go for it also. You know I've been without a job for awhile and the only way I could get away with it is because I live at home still and have very little to pay for (bike, insurance and small credit card bills). Sometimes you have to take risks in life, and right now for someone our age thats the best time.

Think of it this way, do you want to be stuck in the same job you have now 20 years down the road bored out of your mind or would you rather take the risk which can be potentially very satisfying?

my decision to quit the job I had came because it was a dead end job and there was no way I could let myself be stuck doing that crap any longer than the year I had already done it (and I hated it from the first week)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you still at a PD? If so take a late shift and work both for a while, if you can. That way you could see if you would like what you would be doing and you could stock-pile some cash. That way if you go for it you will have some money in the bank to fall back on for a little while untill things get going. If you can't work both I say go for it. If your still working in PD field you can always go back.

F/J

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
I'd have to say go for it - if for no other reason then your own reasons of bringing it in here. You seem to have sold it yourself, at least how I read it - the first post shows a pile of positives for the 'new place' despite what you titled each as pros and cons.

If you're looking to a higher power (no not that high) look into who is investors are, who else they invest in (if this is available knowledge). Also discussions of the next step should be occuring now - if he's hiring to fill available booking positions thats great - but does this mean it's break even time and drop the investors or does he have a solid plan for all contingencies?

but all that aside - a cut now is nothing man, at a company where your that close to the top that he is practically asking for partnership, I'd ask where to sign. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
ConqSoft said:
ND4SPD? PD? :rotfl: :clap: :shades: :lmao:
I guess that's what cought my eye :idunno:. I didn't look at his info. I would edit my thread off but then you would just put it back up wouldn't you:) . In fact I never put it together because all I ever saw was PD on the end, so I never looked at as a whole (he said whole). i feel stupid now. I'm out of here never to be heard from again (Chain thread ref.) Just kidding.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts