Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm having problems with my 03 cbr954rr. Bought it off Craigslist and forgot to check for headlights and signals. And come to find out, signals back and front are disconnected, and so are the headlights, horn, and signal switch. I've looked but can't seem to find the connection point for the headlights to test the bulbs. Here's some pictures. This relay under the seat isn't getting any fire, I checked with a test light. Also, I have a solid red light on dash, and when I start it Fl shows up. Any ideas? Here's the relay under the seat that isn't getting fire.
1st off, welcome to FB.org John :hi:

Site rules say to start your own thread, not to "piggyback" off another's... so that's why I did this. Let's start with the most important issue: your FI (fuel injection) system trouble indicator, and the MIL (malfunction indicator light) or the red LED that some people erroneously refer to as the "oil light".

Follow these instructions (found in a Service Manual), and get back to us with your findings. Then we can proceed with your lighting (or lack thereof) issues.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The connectors in your 2nd picture are for the brakelight. You'll have voltage across there when the front brake lever is applied (ultimately illuminating your brakelight).

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,146 Posts
The connectors in your 2nd picture are for the brakelight. You'll have voltage across there when the front brake lever is applied (ultimately illuminating your brakelight).
I thought that too, but it looked like the switch was on his clutch side lever, but there is a two prong switch there:idunno:

Then I thought maybe those were the horn connectors.

Too much electronics on them there bikes:)

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that too, but it looked like the switch was on his clutch side lever,Then I thought maybe those were the horn connectors.

Too much electronics on them there bikes:)
I reckon you're spot on mate... I stand corrected *beep beep*

That second image is the connector for the HORN.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks so much guys. Yeah I was trying to find a way to create my own thread, but couldn't. Ant that other thread had the closest resemblance to my problem. But I know whenever I turn the bike from off too on the red light is on for about 2 seconds, then blinks once. And the FI light shows up along with a oil light under it. I also notice if I teeter the bike from side to side, the neutral light blinks in and out. I've got a video clip. I'll upload with pictures. I don't know where's the jumper wire is. I tried starting thbike with each wire, one at a time, unplugged. Two didn't let the bike start, and the other started and it only blinked once.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
After looking under there I was ble to find a slim but long, maybe half inch, black plug with nothing connected to it. It was under the silver trim of the frame. Also found this wire hanging out from the fuse box, which doesn't have fuses with numbers that match up to the cover of the box. I have a feeling this guy has really done some big electrical changes. Wish I would've known to look for this. First bike, and I got it for 2800. I should add that he added, JE pistons, swing arm, lowering kit, and exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I reckon you're spot on mate... I stand corrected *beep beep*

That second image is the connector for the HORN.
Yeah, it is on the clutch side. but it doesn;t stay connected to those two prongs whenever i attaching them, and if i hold them, i still get no sound from the horn. but whenever i hit the turn signal switch the dash lights up, but it's very stiff, and sometimes it'll blink on the dash, sometimes it's solid, and stays lit until the switch is pushed down again in the middle position.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
wow. wow. wow. :hmm:

that thing has RUNNN!!! written all over it :eek:

Now that we've gotten past that, PLEASE invest in a multimeter and a Service Manual. That bike has been buggered something nasty (from the electrical system to the incorrect fasteners, the trashed tank to the... I'll stop there) and you'll be investing tens of hours into setting it straight (if you want a dependable machine). Wiring harness routes and schematics will soon be your best friend. We'll help how we can, but that Service Manual will tell you every measurement and WHERE to measure as needed.

The "jumper wire" is supplied by you. Just use any smaller gauge wire with stripped ends.
Also, those three booted relays should be mounted on the RIGHT side of the subframe, under the plastic. They are your (from front to rear):
1. Headlight (hi/lo) 2. Engine Stop and 3. Fan Control Relays

You can CAREFULLY "squoosh" the female ends of those horn connectors so they stay connected.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,146 Posts

Now that we've gotten past that, PLEASE invest in a multimeter and a Service Manual. That bike has been buggered something nasty (from the electrical system to the incorrect fasteners, the trashed tank to the... I'll stop there) and you'll be investing tens of hours into setting it straight (if you want a dependable machine). Wiring harness routes and schematics will soon be your best friend. We'll help how we can, but that Service Manual will tell you every measurement and WHERE to measure as needed.

The "jumper wire" is supplied by you. Just use any smaller gauge wire with stripped ends.
Also, those three booted relays should be mounted on the RIGHT side of the subframe, under the plastic. They are your (from front to rear):

You can CAREFULLY "squoosh" the female ends of those horn connectors so they stay connected.
:plus1:

We can only provide so much "guidance" and knowledge of past experiences. What you have there is a classic basket case that needs to be gone over, piece by by piece, from the beginning. And that starts with a meter and service manual. There are wire diagrams here that you can use to trace and reconnect wires.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/86073-929-954-wiring-diagrams.html

Once you have all your wires sorted out and the bike will start and run as normal, then we may be able to assist you piece it back together properly, diagnose your MIL codes, etc.

You're right though, the bike was "not loved" by the previous owner, that's for dang sure. It's time consuming, frustrating work, but not rocket science. We have confidence in you!

·
Registered
33 Posts

Damn. Yeah after I took a better look at it after they left, i realized that I hadn't seen the beginning of the bikes problems. I spend 2800 on it, it has 7000 miles on it. From what you guys see, what do I need to buy? It sucks I got stuck with the work, but I bought it off craigslist, and I've been trying to get in touch with the guy who sold it to me, and he's just not responding. Is the anything I can do to get my money back? Or would it be easier, and cheaper to just tidy this bike up a bit. I figured I'd have to take all the fairings off, so I was going to get a new set, once all those are all off I'll be able to disconnect the wires and put them all in place and in correct position. The relay I sent the picture of gets no fire, I've checked with a test light. I found that the orange connection in the front left is the signal, and the blue connection on the left is the other signal. That leaves the white connection that must be headlights, but I don't see a connection point. If I look directly underneath the cluster I can see two black connection that are taped off with no opposite connectors. So far I know I'm gonna get an integrated tailight, mirrors, flush signals, and a multimeter, i just can't tell if I'm missing a piece of wiring harness for the headlights, or from what you guys see I need to do about the fuse box situation. I've got the diagrams but where's the service manual? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Edit: found the service manual! Hell yeah!

·
Registered
33 Posts
:plus1:

We can only provide so much "guidance" and knowledge of past experiences. What you have there is a classic basket case that needs to be gone over, piece by by piece, from the beginning. And that starts with a meter and service manual. There are wire diagrams here that you can use to trace and reconnect wires.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/86073-929-954-wiring-diagrams.html

Once you have all your wires sorted out and the bike will start and run as normal, then we may be able to assist you piece it back together properly, diagnose your MIL codes, etc.

You're right though, the bike was "not loved" by the previous owner, that's for dang sure. It's time consuming, frustrating work, but not rocket science. We have confidence in you!
Thanks! Yeah, im hoping I can make a nice bike out of this. I'm pretty stuck with it now so might as well make it run. I figure once I'm down to the barebones, and I can see and trace all the wires, then it will be easier.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn. Yeah after I took a better look at it after they left, i realized that I hadn't seen the beginning of the bikes problems. I spend 2800 on it, it has 7000 miles on it. From what you guys see, what do I need to buy?
SERVICE Manual... not Owner's Manual. Looks like this:

Also, if you're going into this for the long haul, I'd invest in: a multimeter, (4) relays, a package of assorted fuses (to put the properly rated ones in the appropriate position), 3 sets of brakepads, a new battery, heatshrink, connectors, and set aside some money for a stator and regulator/rectifier.

It sucks I got stuck with the work, but I bought it off craigslist, and I've been trying to get in touch with the guy who sold it to me, and he's just not responding. Is there anything I can do to get my money back? Or would it be easier, and cheaper to just tidy this bike up a bit.
Likely not... just stick with it. We're here for ya homie :smilebig:

I figured I'd have to take all the fairings off, so I was going to get a new set, once all those are all off I'll be able to disconnect the wires and put them all in place and in correct position. The relay I sent the picture of gets no fire, I've checked with a test light. I found that the orange connection in the front left is the signal, and the blue connection on the left is the other signal. That leaves the white connection that must be headlights, but I don't see a connection point. If I look directly underneath the cluster I can see two black connection that are taped off with no opposite connectors.
Wisest thing you've said so far! :thumb:

So far I know I'm gonna get an integrated taillight, mirrors, flush signals, and a multimeter, i just can't tell if I'm missing a piece of wiring harness for the headlights, or from what you guys see I need to do about the fuse box situation. I've got the diagrams but where's the service manual? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Edit: found the service manual! Hell yeah!
I'd not waste money on the superficial stuff... Priorities Amigo :deal:

·
Registered
33 Posts
SERVICE Manual... not Owner's Manual. Looks like this:

Also, if you're going into this for the long haul, I'd invest in: a multimeter, (4) relays, a package of assorted fuses (to put the properly rated ones in the appropriate position), 3 sets of brakepads, a new battery, heatshrink, connectors, and set aside some money for a stator and regulator/rectifier.

Likely not... just stick with it. We're here for ya homie :smilebig:

Wisest thing you've said so far! :thumb:

I'd not waste money on the superficial stuff... Priorities Amigo :deal:
Okay, I'm making a cart online now of everything I need. Wherected can I get the 4 relays? What kind of connectors, and what's a strato and a regulator/rectifier? So you don't think I should get the mirrors and tail lights? Will I be able to pass inspection in louisiana without? Also what type of setup are you guys using to attach your license plate? Thanks homie, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this bike.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I would also suspect any type of electrical connector be opened and looked at as you go. Some of them look a little melted on the outside so who knows what's going on inside. You will need to be very patient and thorough. That way you won't be chasing gremlins.

You definitely owe the previous owner a throat punch!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Get spade or bullet connectors, they come in packs of male and female. Use them until you get that mess unf%^&ed then you can solder it back up with heat shrink tubing if desired. I wouldn't get new plastics yet either. Save some coin as you may need it for other issues. Have a look at the mechanical aspects of the bike too, make sure it's safe. Sorry to sound so negative, but you have your hands full there. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. Can you post a pick of the backend, so we can see what you have to work with for the license plate.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:plus1: :plus1:

Okay, I'm making a cart online now of everything I need. Wherected can I get the 4 relays? What kind of connectors, and what's a strato and a regulator/rectifier? So you don't think I should get the mirrors and tail lights? Will I be able to pass inspection in louisiana without? Also what type of setup are you guys using to attach your license plate? Thanks homie, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this bike.
1. a STATOR is like a motorcycle's alternator.
2. Honda dealership is where you can order those (soon to fail) relays.
3. R/R regulates the voltage (they also fail around now)
4. NO. (like "jdoni" said). save your money for other NEEDED items. I'd be concerned with getting it functional before trying to put it "on the road".

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would also suspect any type of electrical connector be opened and looked at as you go. Some of them look a little melted on the outside so who knows what's going on inside. You will need to be very patient and thorough. That way you won't be chasing gremlins.

You definitely owe the previous owner a throat punch!
Yeah, whenever I was under there with the test light everything was getting fire except that specific relay and the fuses labeled spare. Man, I wish I could, I still have the title and his address, I would've gone over and tried to get my money back. But the problems seem pretty easily fixed, but I just have to make a day out of it, and sit and test, trace, a reconnect. Like I said the only thing that wasn't lighting up the test light were the relay, and spare fuses. But I've found several connections without anything to connect to. Am I missing a harness that connects to headlights and to the signals? Tomorrow I'll be able to get under there and take some closer pictures.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts