Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just read the entire 3 pages... Now I know where I'll go when I can afford it.
Couple questions though...

Where did you do your level 1 at? Vegas?

Which location in your opinion would you think you can learn more from the Level 1 class at Miller or Vegas?

And how did that following weekend go for you on the track? What kinda improvements did you see in your lap times? How far off from race pace are you at now?

Thanks for the write up... Good stuff. Look forward to my next trackday just from some of the info you spoke of here.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Just read the entire 3 pages... Now I know where I'll go when I can afford it.
Couple questions though...

Where did you do your level 1 at? Vegas?

Which location in your opinion would you think you can learn more from the Level 1 class at Miller or Vegas?

And how did that following weekend go for you on the track? What kinda improvements did you see in your lap times? How far off from race pace are you at now?

Thanks for the write up... Good stuff. Look forward to my next trackday just from some of the info you spoke of here.
I did Level One in Vegas. Here's the write-up from that one:
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/ar...freddie-spencer-school.html?highlight=Spencer

You'll learn a ton at either track because of their great instruction, so it comes down to the more convenient location. Lodging is less expensive in Utah, and the track and facilities are the best in the USA, so you can't go wrong there.

The next weekend at the track was outstanding, and it seems to keep getting better and faster each time I go as I apply what I've learned.

As far as lap times versus the race pace, I couldn't really tell you. I can tell you that when I went to trackdays at Pahrump earlier this month, with a no-sessions format (no A,B,C groups), there were only three or four people faster than me out of the 35-40 out there, which made me feel pretty good. More importantly, I feel a much greater sense of safety and control despite the higher speeds. :thumb:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yeah, but you were riding that 600!:D
(No offense intended, just poking at ya'.)
Thanks for the great write-ups. :thumb:

I like your new suit, BTW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just read your level 1 write up and saw you posted the same picture!!! It's Ralph, the short guy with the mustache in silver and black leathers standing behind Jeff.

I can't believe this! I googled Freddie's name because I am seriously considering going back to Veags in March to do level 2. I wanted to get some input from others who have taken level 2 to see if it was worth the trip and money. And sure enough I came across this web site with your review! Is it an omen?!:)

Finding your write-ups is awesome becuase, unlike you, I didn't record my experience. I am so psyched I found your posts!

As a side note, I'm in touch with Robert (the Swedish gentleman) and Ann. I think she did the school at least 1 more time after March.

Well, I want to finish reading your posts. Hope to hear from you...

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Hi Ralph! I remember you, for sure. I was the tall slow guy :smilebig: (Brian). You'll love Level Two, and I'd highly recommend it. I had the opportunity to do it in August at Miller, and it was even better than Level One, (as you'll read above).

Keep in touch!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
BTW, small world it is. I just sold my FZ1 and am in the market for a DRZ 400 SM. How do you like yours?
It's the ultimate affordable play bike. Try to find a used one with some of the preferred mods already done. I highly recommend the FCR carb mod - it gives it a lot more low end grunt and really makes it a fun little wheelie machine. Lots more info here: DR-Z 400 - ThumperTalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well Brian, I downloaded (all 30 something pages) of your 2 write-ups and have to say WOW! I was on the fence about level 2 but your accounts convinced me to sign up! I'll be in Vegas March 28-30, 2007! I even feel faster and better after reading them!

Thanks and I AM GRATEFUL as well!
Ralph

·
Registered
12 Posts
BTW Brian, check out this bike. Is it a good deal? He dropped his price to 4500 modded. I'd have to meet him in Boston as I'm in NJ and he's in ME. He said an extra 100 for the delivery to ME. There aren't many SMs for sale and this one has been nicely modified.

I test rode a stock one yesterday, some local streets, a few miles highway and some horseplay in a parking lot. The bike was fun but a tad underpowered. The guy selling the bike in ME said the difference between a stock bike and a bike that's been modded like his is night and day.

I have virtually no experience with the DRZ SM. Any insights? Any thing to look out for? I want to be as certain as I can before I drive a few hours to Boston.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I'd say that looks like an excellent deal. The pipe and the FCR carb will make an amazing difference over what you found with the stocker, for sure. It's never going to be a rocketship, but part of the appeal of that bike is that modded the way it is, it's fun, light and flickable, with enough power to have a great time but not be scary.

A KTM 950 or others will have more power, but be much heavier, more maintenance prone, and more expensive. You'll have a blast on that bike, believe me, and it will help your track riding too.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Well Brian, I downloaded (all 30 something pages) of your 2 write-ups and have to say WOW! I was on the fence about level 2 but your accounts convinced me to sign up! I'll be in Vegas March 28-30, 2007! I even feel faster and better after reading them!

Thanks and I AM GRATEFUL as well!
Ralph
Awesome, Ralph! I'm excited for you, and I know you'll have a great time, and your riding will get even better. Have fun! :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a side note, I'm in touch with Robert (the Swedish gentleman) and Ann. I think she did the school at least 1 more time after March.
i did the course this Oct and Ann was in it - i think she's done it a few times getting ready to race - she'll remember me - being from Montreal she knew where London, Ontario (Canada) is

·
Registered
12 Posts
Race??!! That's amazing! She was such a noob back in March. I remember someone passed her (no too closely) and she got all spooked out and confronted the guy. I do remember her being very adventurous. Good for her! I'll have to shoot her an email.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.