Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I joined a few weeks ago - really liking this forum. A bit of history, I had an accident a few years ago and am now looking to get back into riding. I live in Connecticut but work in Long island NY. Yes, the commute is hell but doable for now. I remember riding a friend's '99 Fireblade and really enjoyed it. My wife agrees that I need a project, so I found a listing on Craigslist for a 2001 CBR929RR for cheap. The seller explained the issues with the bike but assured me that it runs. Our schedules finally matched up, and I went to see the bike one evening. I was doubtful seeing how bad it looked in person, but surprisingly it started! I pointed out a few more things that weren't consistent with the listing, and we worked out a price that was fair (almost half of what he was asking for).

Well, a few weeks ago I started taking the bike apart, and low and behold it has a 954 engine in it. It is now completely apart, and I'm glad I'm taking the time to do everything right and put it back together the way it's supposed to be. It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm loving everything so far.

Pictures are from about when I first got it, to last night's dismantled stage with some extra parts to start putting things back together again. I'll be posting asking for advice, and also looking for parts. :grin

Barry.

Attachments

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,526 Posts
Now that's a teardown that even I'M proud of :wink

So with the Long Island commute I can assume you're in south western Ct? I'm in Hartford but, am always looking for a destination to ride to, although New Haven and Fairfield County's aren't really in my direction :devil

Still, s local resource if you need some help :laugh:nerd

:welcome: to the .org

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Hiya Barry, and welcome.

Interesting story on the purchase and great that you could score for half requested price.

I hope you realise that is not just an ordinary 929. A good 'Erion' will command good money if it's an original. Perhaps you might try to discover the reason for the 954, or was it a 954 but with 929 Erion fairings? The VIN should provide the key and should be: JHZSC443--------.

You might have noted that I have one of these bikes. I am more than happy to help with pics or dimensions of original fittings. I am a stickler for originality and have recently replaced a crap red screen with the original. Finding an original Erion exhaust can is actually, exhausting. (Apologies to those who have seen these pics)

Third pic shows can with copy decal of Erion Racing plate usually riveted to can. It's off-scale but I have a revision being processed. Pic also shows Chinese rear seat cowl.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome!

A bit more to the story: The guy who I purchased the bike from said that he got it from his neighbor that had been rebuilding it after an accident. He told me that it was salvage bike, and he had done some additional work but didn't have the time anymore - but he did provide me with a bill of sale. He sold it as a 929, but he had to have known it had a 954 engine; and didn't tell me. I'm not sure if it is an Erion edition bike, but I took a picture of the VIN # on the frame for someone who wants to do the research. I did a quick internet search myself and surprisingly, the title comes up as clean from Massachusetts. Maybe I should contact him and get his neighbor's info...

The bike has 929 wheels, Erion fairing and tank, 929 ECU and wiring harness, 929 rear subframe, 954 engine, and a 954 swingarm, 954 engine mount, and I'm assuming 954 rear suspension. I haven't been able to tell if the front forks are 929 or 954 or the steering tree - I was going to ask on the forums but didn't want to sound like an idiot. :angel The swap wasn't done properly as I found two missing engine mount bolts. It has a Yoshimura slip-on but the rest of the exhaust seems to be stock. The rear 929 subframe was bent to hell, so I'm assuming that was the damage - the original frame looks straight and remarkably in good shape.

I purchased a clean 2003 954 frame, wiring harness, ECU, subframe, engine mount (just in case), and a few other pieces and am going to start assembling everything again. I'm thinking since it's a 954 engine that I should do it right and not Frankenstein it together as the previous owners did. I can't tell you how many zip ties I cut holding the fairings up and together, radiator not even mounted properly, loose bolts, etc...

Barry.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hiya Barry, and welcome.

Interesting story on the purchase and great that you could score for half requested price.

I hope you realise that is not just an ordinary 929. A good 'Erion' will command good money if it's an original. Perhaps you might try to discover the reason for the 954, or was it a 954 but with 929 Erion fairings? The VIN should provide the key and should be: JHZSC443--------.

You might have noted that I have one of these bikes. I am more than happy to help with pics or dimensions of original fittings. I am a stickler for originality and have recently replaced a crap red screen with the original. Finding an original Erion exhaust can is actually, exhausting. (Apologies to those who have seen these pics)

Third pic shows can with copy decal of Erion Racing plate usually riveted to can. It's off-scale but I have a revision being processed. Pic also shows Chinese rear seat cowl.

'and who are you so wise in the ways of science'-The Holy Grail:grin

we haven't met friend welcome....nice info!!

·
7,526 Posts
I'm in Hamden - not too far away from Hartford! :grin
Cool, do you think you’ll be on the rebuild before end of summer? I’m sure I could map a nice ride down to Hamden. I love a good rebuild, just check out my build links in my signature :wink

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, do you think you’ll be on the rebuild before end of summer?
That's the plan. Last night I switched over the ignition harness to the 954, cleaned the replacement swingarm, started putting it and the 954 frame back on. :grin I'm waiting for the shipment of replacement engine bolts to arrive.

A ride does sound awesome! Hopefully the assembly will go fast.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
. . . I'm waiting for the shipment of replacement engine bolts to arrive . . .
Please don't take this as a smart-ass comment, but in your enthusiasm to rebuild, don't get the upper engine mount bolts mixed up. The longer ones go to the right hand side.

Not insulting your experience, but others have been caught by this and stripped the left hand cylinder block thread with the longer bolt.:wink

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please don't take this as a smart-ass comment, but in your enthusiasm to rebuild, don't get the upper engine mount bolts mixed up. The longer ones go to the right hand side.

Not insulting your experience, but others have been caught by this and stripped the left hand cylinder block thread with the longer bolt.:wink
Not to worry, I'll take any and all advice! I appreciate the warning and I'll take extra care when doing it. I'm taking my time putting things back together, inspecting everything. I decided to go with new engine mounts and bolts - just so it's consistent. :smile

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, an update for last night's work:

I'm thinking - lets take a look at a spark plug. While I have the frame off and am waiting for the new bolts to mount it, it would be good to see if the plugs need to be replaced. So, I get my spark plug socket and look to take the first plug off. At first, I'm thinking... I must have the wrong socket, i'm loosening it and there is no resistance at all. I look inside, and my turning has loosened the plug completely! The first one I looked at wasn't even finger tight! :eek: Plug looks bad. Ordered a replacement set before going to bed.

So, another shedded tear for this mistreated bike. I wonder what other surprises I will find now. :|

Attachments

·
7,526 Posts
So, an update for last night's work:

I'm thinking - lets take a look at a spark plug. While I have the frame off and am waiting for the new bolts to mount it, it would be good to see if the plugs need to be replaced. So, I get my spark plug socket and look to take the first plug off. At first, I'm thinking... I must have the wrong socket, i'm loosening it and there is no resistance at all. I look inside, and my turning has loosened the plug completely! The first one I looked at wasn't even finger tight! :eek: Plug looks bad. Ordered a replacement set before going to bed.

So, another shedded tear for this mistreated bike. I wonder what other surprises I will find now. :|
WOW, it doesn't even look like the compression washer was crushed. Maybe just put in and never tightened properly?:idunno: Could be with all the nastiness around the plug. Probably ran like ****.

Did you ever confirm that it ran prior to the tear down, or just took his word for it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW, it doesn't even look like the compression washer was crushed. Maybe just put in and never tightened properly?:idunno: Could be with all the nastiness around the plug. Probably ran like ****.

Did you ever confirm that it ran prior to the tear down, or just took his word for it?
When I went to buy it, he started it up - and I did a few times after that before tearing it down. Guess I was lucky. :grin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of these is not like the other... more than one... :wink

So, update on the bike build: Got some parts in and I am in the process of carefully bolting the frame onto the engine with new mounting bolts. I've completed putting the engine mount on the back with the swingarm, and got the majority of things torqued to spec. I have replaced all the spark plugs (made sure to torque them to spec) while I had the frame off - it was as I had feared, all plugs were not even finger tight... :eek::crying I'll include a picture of them. Can anyone spot the odd duck out?

I bought a brand new steering stem and bearing set off eBay, and am going to return the bearing set I purchased earlier on. So, I purchased a damaged 954 frame off eBay for really cheap, and saw that the metal bushings in the steering on the frame were different to the one I was going to use. I guess Honda changed their design with the 954's, may have been part of a recall I remember reading about where they changed roller bearings for ball bearings - am I correct? The damaged frame had a single tapered metal bushing inside the steering tube, where the one I was going to use had two... I had to remove one off the top and one off the bottom before the bearings would fit.

The rest of the engine bolts and various parts arrived today, so I'll do some more assembly tomorrow evening.

Attachments

·
7,526 Posts
One of these is not like the other... more than one... :wink

So, update on the bike build: Got some parts in and I am in the process of carefully bolting the frame onto the engine with new mounting bolts. I've completed putting the engine mount on the back with the swingarm, and got the majority of things torqued to spec. I have replaced all the spark plugs (made sure to torque them to spec) while I had the frame off - it was as I had feared, all plugs were not even finger tight... :eek::crying I'll include a picture of them. Can anyone spot the odd duck out?

I bought a brand new steering stem and bearing set off eBay, and am going to return the bearing set I purchased earlier on. So, I purchased a damaged 954 frame off eBay for really cheap, and saw that the metal bushings in the steering on the frame were different to the one I was going to use. I guess Honda changed their design with the 954's, may have been part of a recall I remember reading about where they changed roller bearings for ball bearings - am I correct? The damaged frame had a single tapered metal bushing inside the steering tube, where the one I was going to use had two... I had to remove one off the top and one off the bottom before the bearings would fit.

The rest of the engine bolts and various parts arrived today, so I'll do some more assembly tomorrow evening.
No change in stem bearings that I'm aware of. If there were tapered rollers in the 954 frame, then they were changed to that at some point by the PO. All 900's shared the same ball bearings from Honda.

Any pics of what you had in there?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts