Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Good to read that all's progressing well.

. . . I have replaced all the spark plugs (made sure to torque them to spec) while I had the frame off - it was as I had feared, all plugs were not even finger tight... :eek::crying I'll include a picture of them. Can anyone spot the odd duck out?

. . .
Plug 3 from the bottom looks as if it was the tightest, however, plug 2 from the bottom appears to have an overly large gap setting - unless it's the camera angle.:smile

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,526 Posts
Good to read that all's progressing well.

Plug 3 from the bottom looks as if it was the tightest, however, plug 2 from the bottom appears to have an overly large gap setting - unless it's the camera angle.:smile
Or the random NGK amidst others :wink

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
An update to the questions about the steering parts.

I've attached pictures of the top and bottom steering bushings that I removed from the replacement 2003 954 frame that I'm using. I purchased a replacement steering stem and the bearings off of Ebay for really cheap, and genuine Honda parts too! I've taken a picture of the original 929 frame, and then of the reference 2002 954 frame that I'm not using (it's got a dent in it and was really cheap - surprisingly had a clean title). You can definitely see the difference. On the original manual it shows the metal bushings as being a single part for the top and bottom like the reference 2002 954 frame has. I'm not sure why the 2003 954 frame came with two definite separate bushing at the top and bottom. When I called Partzilla, they didn't even list these and had no idea - they said it must be part of the frame. :hmm:

Bike is coming along nicely. I'll post more pictures of it next week - I'll have a rolling chassis! I replaced the wiring harness to match the engine now. I had a few moments of panic and head scratching when trying to plug things back in, but after slowing down and referring to the almighty manual, its going well. :grin

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome Barry! Loving the pictures of the bike tear down. Good luck with the rest of the restoration!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I know I haven't posted in a bit, so I wanted to show some progress. The re-wiring portion is continuing, and I'm finding out how different the 929 is from the 954... I keep telling myself that every little bit I do I one step closer to being done. :wink

Some hiccups, I found that the subframe I purchased off Ebay was cracked - fortunately I was able to get a replacement right away. The left and right controls have different connections, so another delay there. The exhaust from the 929 is a little different where it connects to the engine mount, so I'll have to get a replacement set - don't want to take a chance and have something else not fit. I'm still very happy that I chose to replace the 929 wiring harness with a 954, it was the right direction.

I'll post another update in a week or so. :smile

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Cheers Sausagie.

What a fascinating insight to learn of these seemingly minor, but important, differences between these two bikes.

Any progress is good progress. Well done!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
It's been two weeks; been quite busy with other things, and wife isn't too happy with the extra parts costing $$. I've had to cool it for a bit. In the meantime, I'll list some parts that I have available, and maybe have another list of parts that I'm looking for. Things are coming together slowly - I'd rather take my time and do it well rather then slap everything on the bike.

Since I'm needing a replacement exhaust system, I'm researching the HTEV valve stuff. Lots of info on the forum - would be nice to eliminate some restrictions, but I want to make the right choice... :smile

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
It's been two weeks; been quite busy with other things, and wife isn't too happy with the extra parts costing $$. . .
Some people will never learn.

One must put a heap of parts on the floor alongside the cheapest invoice. THEN, you say to your wife: 'Look honey, I got ALL this stuff for only $53.99.'

She will never know that it was actually $874.26!!:grin:grin

21 - 31 of 31 Posts