Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and just had a couple of questions. I currently have a 1985 V45 Magna but I am interested in the 919. A local dealer has a brand new not even prepped '07 that I have been looking at.

I was just wondering what the handling would be like compared to what I have now. I am also wondering if there is anything that I should be concered about since the bike has been sitting for so long.

I like taking trips so if anyone knows of any good aftermarket mods or luggage options for the 919 please pass them along too as my current saddlebags and t-bag will not work anymore.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am 6'4" and about 250. I sat on the bike and it felt good but I have not been able to ride it as it is not prepped. Should I have any concerns about my size?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Hornet or 919 as yanks call them will be totally different to your magna, ive never rideen one but i have ridden a VT750 shadow which i presume is silimilar, hornets are more like a sports bike but with comfortable position and revs like fireblade and pulls like one as well whereas magna is longer wheel based cruiser.

Im 6'1" and 90kg's (which i think is round 200lb) and i have no trouble riding long distances at all. Ive dialed the rear suspension to hardest setting though and have a sheepskin seat cause i have a bone ass!

I have a bagster tank protector and bag which expands out and doesnt effect riding at all (but if its completley full sometimes hard to see lindicator lights on the gauges but you can see the front ones anyway.Also Givi do a top box for the back which the mount bolts on where the grab rail is. Looks bit dicky but does job nicely. I only have tank bag which is enough for me for week or me and friend for weekend.

If its been sitting there that long but never started should be no problems at all, i would just get the fluids changed by dealer before accepting delivery and check tyres, tyres have a shelf life and can get hard and loose grip. But 3 or so years is not long for a un weathered tyre.

The only other touring mods that are handy are a screen Puig do some great ones. Puig | Cúpulas racing, standard y accesorios para el tuning de tu moto | Puig and you can get there stuff off ebay and better mirrors, i found the mirrors too high so i put low level mirrors (50 bucks on ebay) and a brighter fron headlight incase you get stuck at night

Hope ive helped, Hornet (919) are great bikes and very versatile can tour or track

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 6' 250# 46 years old and had several 80's model Honda, 1982 CM450C, 1980 CB650 Custom as well as a 2004 VTX 1300c, that being said I bought my 07 919 a year ago and it's been the most fun I've had then with any of the other models....It's very comfortable riding position, you won't be disappointed if you decide to purchase...hope that helps :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 6"4', 210 and have never had any complaint about comfort on my 919. I did in fact have an '85 Magna not too long ago also. I loved that bike, but not as much as I love my 919. Comfortable position but still agressive enough that you can tuck down for some speed or hang off for some twisties.
Being as tall as we are, you'll want to look into a fly screen to cut back on the wind fatique. I'm riding with the MRA Vario and couldn't be happier with it. Low enough that I hardly notice it's there, but it breaks the wind enough to give my grips a break. The little variable splitter at the top helps to ensure there's no buffeting on your helmet too.
As for luggage, I would highly reccomand the SW-Motech Quicklock setup. When you aren't touring, you pull a couple quick realease pins and all the bars come of your bike to look slick as stock. A couple seconds later you can have you bags on and hit the road. Also, the little top rack plate that SW-Motech sells it really nice. Gives any passengers a little more to grab hold of, and in my opinion looks nice on the bike with a flared end at the back to look something like a spoiler.
Finally, if you do end up with the 919, I would look into a seat. The stock one's are alright, but I couldn't believe the difference when I put my Corbin on. For us tall guys, the added half inch of pading makes all the difference for my knees, and I could sit in that saddle all day without complaint.

Good luck, and happy riding. Rubber side down.

TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Sidecarrier (Honda 919 / CB900 Hornet)Original Style for Givi, TraX, Krauser, & Hepco sidecases - KFT.01.114.100
TwistedThrottle.com : MRA VarioTouringScreen (style "VTNB") windshield for naked sport bikes, cruisers, enduro, and dual sport motorcycles - MRA.VTNB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.