Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 03 954RR with 20,000 miles. Bike runs and rides fairly nice for something of its age. I was just looking for any advice on what I should inspect and check out on the model to give it every chance of living for another decade or so. Has a semi rough idle but from what I have read it jumping from 1100 to 1400 is normal. Also it has a buzz at 4000rpm no matter which gear. Buzz very noticeable in 2nd since there is very little wind noise.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just bought a 03 954RR with 20,000 miles. Bike runs and rides fairly nice for something of its age. I was just looking for any advice on what I should inspect and check out on the model to give it every chance of living for another decade or so. Has a semi rough idle but from what I have read it jumping from 1100 to 1400 is normal. Also it has a buzz at 4000rpm no matter which gear. Buzz very noticeable in 2nd since there is very little wind noise.
Decade? You'll put 25K on it this year, and have it sold next year. :idunno:

Could that buzz be worn chain/sprockets?

If they are original sprockets and chain, might be time to replace them, or at least adjust them and lubricate them correctly.

Oil change is all you need for now. :idunno:

Maybe full coverage insurance also

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
steering damper, pc3, hev mod, flapper mod, steel brake lines, good tires, race exhaust, maybe some race springs plus having you shocks rebuilt for you.... race school:rotfl::thumb::welcome:
P.S. the buzz is most likely the chain, like cbrer said!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decade? You'll put 25K on it this year, and have it sold next year. :idunno:

Could that buzz be worn chain/sprockets?

If they are original sprockets and chain, might be time to replace them, or at least adjust them and lubricate them correctly.

Oil change is all you need for now. :idunno:

Maybe full coverage insurance also
It has new tires and a 520 kit with a couple weeks ride time. Ill download the service manual and check the chain

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
steering damper, pc3, hev mod, flapper mod, steel brake lines, good tires, race exhaust, maybe some race springs plus having you shocks rebuilt for you.... race school:rotfl::thumb::welcome:
P.S. the buzz is most likely the chain, like cbrer said!
It's has new Michelin pilots and a Jardine slip on stainless lines all around. Billet tech stator cover?????

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
for some reason I thought you where looking for mods, for your bike to make it faster:rotfl: so many people ask that... so all you need to do is Maintence Maintence Maintence! lol Oil changes and oil level! brake maintenance, spark plugs, ect!
you don't need any of the stuff I said before!!!
but if you think you somethings not right, it riding wrong or sounds funny??? find out what it is, don't put it off!!!!
I see you live in Or :) me too! if you ever what to ride let me know!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the valves have not been inspected yet I would do so.

If you do not know if the coolant, plugs, oil and filter, air filter have been done I would change them. In fact you may as well do synch the throttle bodies while you are checking the valves.

I personally think you should clean the exhaust valve. If that things gets stuck you will run rich...don't ask me how I know..

·
Registered
80 Posts
The buzzing noise you are hearing could be the pair valve working but its a little more of a ticking noise.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If the valves have not been inspected yet I would do so. If you do not know if the coolant, plugs, oil and filter, air filter have been done I would change them. In fact you may as well do synch the throttle bodies while you are checking the valves.
I personally think you should clean the exhaust valve. If that things gets stuck you will run rich...don't ask me how I know..
Synch the throttle bodies? I've never heard of that, I think that with fuel injection, synching is done by the ecu. Only need to synch carbs.
If you are planning on doing a fuel management system, I would go with the Bazzaz with the AFM. It's more customizable than the PCIII.
The rest is pretty good advice, especially if you don't know the service history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for some reason I thought you where looking for mods, for your bike to make it faster:rotfl: so many people ask that... so all you need to do is Maintence Maintence Maintence! lol Oil changes and oil level! brake maintenance, spark plugs, ect!
you don't need any of the stuff I said before!!!
but if you think you somethings not right, it riding wrong or sounds funny??? find out what it is, don't put it off!!!!
I see you live in Or :) me too! if you ever what to ride let me know!!!!
No my questions were towards both side maintenence and performance. I'm out in St. Helens so I might have to take you up on a ride. I don't really have anyone else to ride wit now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the valves have not been inspected yet I would do so.

If you do not know if the coolant, plugs, oil and filter, air filter have been done I would change them. In fact you may as well do synch the throttle bodies while you are checking the valves.

For the exhaust valve is there any special tools or supplies needed. Or is it pretty much open and knock the carbon off and check function

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For the exhaust valve, I'm assuming he's talking about the HTEV. No special tools are required to get it off or clean it. 4 bolts, a couple cables and pull out the barrel. Clean it with something to remove the carbon. I used WD40.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Synch the throttle bodies? I've never heard of that, I think that with fuel injection, synching is done by the ecu. Only need to synch carbs.
If you are planning on doing a fuel management system, I would go with the Bazzaz with the AFM. It's more customizable than the PCIII.
The rest is pretty good advice, especially if you don't know the service history.
I own 8 motorcycles right now. All are EFI and all need the throttle bodies synched.

Here is how to do it for this bike or the 929rr.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/articles-honda-fireblade/3240-starter-valve-synchronization-plugs-honda-cbr-929rr-954rr.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
For the exhaust valve, I'm assuming he's talking about the HTEV. No special tools are required to get it off or clean it. 4 bolts, a couple cables and pull out the barrel. Clean it with something to remove the carbon. I used WD40.
yeah I was referring to the HTEV.. I spaced the name when I typed this...

·
Registered
52 Posts
For the exhaust valve is there any special tools or supplies needed. Or is it pretty much open and knock the carbon off and check function
I forgot to mention that you may want to consider a front caliper rebuild kit. Those brakes are ten years old now and they may be dragging some.

Put the front wheel on a stand and spin it. You should get at least a couple of turns. If it is dragging it will eventually warp the disc and maybe even boil the fluid so bad it locks up the wheel while you are driving.

I have a TLR that is doing that now I can only do about 10 mile rides tops and then need to let the front rotors cool down. I use it for my errand bike until I get around to rebuilding the calipers.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts