Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here to honda bikes, had a 02 gsxr 750 until it was stolen last year and went looking around and decided on a 02 954 with 18k on it. The bike does make what sounds like a ticking from the valves which from what i've been reading the 954s are normally a little noisy but will be getting a valve adjustment done anyway. Was a little disappointed that the bike doesnt come with a steering damper but that's something small that can be changed. I've read nothing but great things about the bike and cant wait for the riding season to begin. Is there any general info i should know about the bike? thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
14,700 Posts
:hi: and :welcome: .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
what should i expect to pay to have my valves adjusted at a dealership? and also will i really need a steering damper? my gsxr had one and i've never been on a bike without one so i have no clue how it would feel. i know they make a difference but is it something i could hold off on for a while? i'm not really wanting to spend another $500 on the bike

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an 03 954 and haven't had any situations where I needed a steering damper. Depends how you ride. I don't do wheelies or much aggressive riding. Take it easy for a day or two and feel it out. Best bike I've ever had.

Rick

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you hit a bump/crack/pothole ect. while excellerating hard you will get the infamous 929/954 headshake. That is the only time I have experienced it and it definitley makes you wish you had a damper when it happens. I had my wrists pretty much bouncing off the tank recentley, so a steering damper is for sure my next upgrade for the my 929.

Can't give you a price on the valves as my bike only has 10k on it right now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
what should i expect to pay to have my valves adjusted at a dealership? and also will i really need a steering damper? my gsxr had one and i've never been on a bike without one so i have no clue how it would feel. i know they make a difference but is it something i could hold off on for a while? i'm not really wanting to spend another $500 on the bike
What size GSXR? If you had a damper on it, you're probably going to want one on your Blade. It'll really show up in the twisties when you accelerate, and the front end gets light (which happens, often). Net result is you'll probably feel less confident about how aggressive you take the curves..

General info to know: Flog the thing! They are AWESOME motors!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get a scotts best money you will invest on the bike. Why take a chance on wrecking for $300. I have had 2 929's and 2 954's. 954 is the best bike I ever had. One had 29,000 miles and was still running hard when I sold it. I am the guy with the lowering link and kickstand. Call me this weekend. I tried to pm you but its not set up. 216-509-8361

1 - 14 of 14 Posts