Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just bought a 99 900RR. I have never owned a honda before but i have owned suzukis before. This is going to be my first honda. Well the bike is in pretty good condition expect it has some scratches because of stunting and some plastic screws are missing. I didnt pick up the bike yet, but i would like to know what is there to see in the bike? So i dont get jacked. The says that he changed the clutch 2000 miles ago. the bike has 10k miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If the bike's been stunted, I'd see what the head bearings feel like. Roll the bike forward a few inches and snatch the front brake. If you feel some slack in the front end or here a knock, chances are the bearings are starting to go or at least need to be tightened.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hey pater, i checked that and the bike feels pretty strong. Here are two pics that the owner sent me before they are not that clear, oh and it also has a D&D which i dont like but i cant afford to add/remove anything right now lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks good. :clap: That tapeworks kit adds a lot. I've had my 99 for over three years now and will ride it till it explodes. I catch some grief from my buddy with an R1, but with a few changes and the right track, I can run right with him.

Ask the guy if he made the conversion on the front wheel to a 17" rim. If not and you're interested, let me know and i'll give you all the specs. You can do it for under $200 and it's a helluva lot easier to pick and choose what kind of tires you run. It's hard to find sticky 16" tires. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Just for information purposes, the 900RRs were notorious for having a second gear issue on bikes that were wheelied a lot. When shifting to second, it can pop right back out and into neutral under hard accelleration.
Also, bikes that were wheelied a lot had an issue with oil getting pumped to all cylinders properly.

Not saying this bike has any problems, just something to look out for.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
BDA116 said:
Just for information purposes, the 900RRs were notorious for having a second gear issue on bikes that were wheelied a lot. When shifting to second, it can pop right back out and into neutral under hard accelleration.
Also, bikes that were wheelied a lot had an issue with oil getting pumped to all cylinders properly.

Same thing happened to mine...cost me $1000 to replace second gear..it is mint...I love my 98, probably will never sell it.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
BDA116 said:

Mine ('96) wasn't wheelied a lot but developed the same problem. It was a little disconcerting when accelerating out of a 2nd gear corner. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts