Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I just got back from my normal 30 minute commute, turned the bike off outside the garage, went to turn it on and I got the ominous clicking from the
starter relay. Checked all fuses, they are all fine. Has been running sweet for several months no issues.
Any suggestions would be really helpful as I need it for work tomorrow (yikes)
Bike is Honda cbr 954 2003
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Get a good long insulated handled screwdriver and place it across the two posts on the solenoid with the ignition on, there will be a few sparks but if the engine turns its showing you need a new solenoid, their not expensive, but before that put it in gear ,ignition off and rock it back and forward just incase the starter motor is stuck and it might free it

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope still nothing!
Also I put a voltmeter on the battery when pushing the start button and theres no draw whatsoever from the battery

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Well it would look like the solenoid is naff, but I at least expected some sparks to fly , have a look at your positive battery lead to the starter solenoid, check that its secured tight and the fixtures are intact, also check the 30amp fuse in it

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Yeh they can gum up, all that salt on the roads , have you tried a push start , just to make sure its this end, anyone there to help with that

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
umm OK. I just looked at the starter motor and found the wire has....sheared off inside the rubber boot on the starter motor end
Now how in seven hells do you suppose that happened??

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Well at least that's good news in a way, have you got enough wire there to bend it round the starter motor connector , and with a couple of good washers tighten it down, till you can get another cable

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
umm OK. I just looked at the starter motor and found the wire has....sheared off inside the rubber boot on the starter motor end
Now how in seven hells do you suppose that happened??
Over time and with the amount of amperage running through them, they take some pain, wires become brittle

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
REP :thumb:

Reactions: MrPickwick

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
lots of nooks and crannies to look on these machines :eek:

Reactions: MrPickwick
1 - 20 of 20 Posts