Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bolted on a Jardine RT-One I got second hand from ebay.
I replaced my dinged up Yosh pipe with this.
I like the sound from idle to about 5-7000 RPM (deep mellow) but then it gets kinda raspy when I gun the throttle. Almost like a civic with a coffee can exhaust. :crap:

My Yosh pipe was a tad quiter and deeper in all RPM's. I was hoping the Jardine would be similar but now I am not too happy with it. I am actually reluctant to open up the throttle because of the raspy noise. To me it sounds obnoxious.
Has anyone had similar experience with this pipe? Any recommendations for a deep sounding pipe? Maybe the fiberglass needs to be repacked in it :idunno: . I have never repacked a pipe before so not sure what the symptoms are. The guy who I bought it from said he only put 3000 miles on it. It had a small ding on it thats why he sold it but it was in way better shape then my Yosh.

I also notice that Jardine sells a QMI (QUIET MODULE INSERT) for their exhausts. Does this make it deeper? Or just quiter? I don't mind being loud just don't like the rasp.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Probably needs to be repacked. Jardines aren't known to sound like that...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My Micron had a nice sound up high, throaty and mean and definitely not raspy. It was pretty quiet around town unless I wanted to make some noise. I listened to several different pipes on the 929 back when I first bought mine. I thought I wanted an Erion until I heard the guy leave with it.

Two Bros and D&D were too loud for my tastes but were both very throaty. The Hindle sounded good but was a little quiet for me. The Yosh just didn't do it for me although I had one on my Suzuki and it sounded just right. I didn't hear a Jardine. Lucky for me, back in the day, 929's were a dime a dozen at the local bike night and it was easy to spark up a conversation to hear different pipes. I even heard a bike with a car glass pack clamped on....

·
Registered
723 Posts
My jardine isn't raspy (at least to my ears); I like the sound and open the throttle often to hear it (hurray for overpasses).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered a repacking kit I'll let you guys know if it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I repacked the pipe and it def sounds better and the way it should be.

I don't know if it was the actual fiberglass packing that was bad. Because the original packing was all there it was just yellow. It may have been something loose in there. In any case taking it all apart and putting it back together made it sound better.

HOWEVER; I would never try to do this again. It was a PITA. These pipes are put together very very tight. They are hard to get apart and even harder to get apart without denting or scratching them. Then they are hard to get back together. I have rebuilt several engines and I am a fairly good mechanic and this was a tough job. Not to mention the fiberglass ends up everywhere.

IF you want a challenging project and your pipe already has a few small dings on it (that don't bother you) then go for it. Otherwise just get a new pipe. Halfway through the mess I started looking for another pipe in frustration. The next day of cooling off I decided to just finish it. Overall if I had to do this again it would take me maybe 2 hours. But doing it for the first time was a challenge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts