Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding down the highway the other day and all of sudden my 1994 CBR 900rr just started to slow down and eventually just quit on me and wouldn't start again. I pulled off to the side IOT to see what might be the issue. I thought it might have been a fuel issue, but there seemed to be some fuel inside the tank. I thought it might have been a battery issue, but all the electricity seemed to turn on. The one thing I noticed that might have been different was that the Oil light turned on for once, following it quitting on me. Not sure if the oil light always turns on, or if its an actual oil issue. Anyways, I'm sorta lost at where to begin with this. I went to turn it on the other day and when it turned over, it made "ticking" like sound, as opposed to a regular turn over sound.

If anyone could provide some insight, that'd be awesome. My bikes my baby and want to see her back on the streets ASAP!!!!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I was riding down the highway the other day and all of sudden my 1994 CBR 900rr just started to slow down and eventually just quit on me and wouldn't start again. I pulled off to the side IOT to see what might be the issue. I thought it might have been a fuel issue, but there seemed to be some fuel inside the tank. I thought it might have been a battery issue, but all the electricity seemed to turn on. The one thing I noticed that might have been different was that the Oil light turned on for once, following it quitting on me. Not sure if the oil light always turns on, or if its an actual oil issue. Anyways, I'm sorta lost at where to begin with this. I went to turn it on the other day and when it turned over, it made "ticking" like sound, as opposed to a regular turn over sound.

If anyone could provide some insight, that'd be awesome. My bikes my baby and want to see her back on the streets ASAP!!!!

Is the fuel set to reserve?
What voltage do you have across the battery and what does it fall to when you press the starter button?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,334 Posts
Check your charging system. Probably the reg/rec or stator or fried connectors or all 3. What usually happens is it stops charging while your at speed, battery uses up all available electricity to keep lights on etc, then it dies because the battery is so far drained. Just replacing the battery won't solve that issue. You need to diagnose the charging system. The clicking you hear is the starter solenoid trying to send power to the starter, but there isn't enough so it just clicks. You'll need a manual and a multi meter. The oil light comes on because once the engine stops running it loses oil pressure and activates the light. Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts