Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to talk my wife into canceling the phone service to the house for a while now. It's 40 bucks a month that I get NOTHING for. I pay for us to have cell phones, why do I need one in the house? When the house phone rings we both try to be the first to yell "NOT IT!" so that we don't have to answer it. To top it all off, the only people calling it are people that I don't want to talk to.

Then last night I did the math, and one year's worth of phone service is about 2/3'ds the cost of 6 months of car insurance. So...while she was in Chicago visiting her sister and mother I did it. I cut the cord. As of today, my expenses went DOWN $40 a month. It's a small amount, but is a big weight off of my shoulders. Not sure why. Feels good! :thumb:

Wife will be pissed for a bit, but like the say: It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. Then she'll realize that I was right and we should have done it a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You should feel lucky. When we moved into our new house 7 months ago, I did not get home phone service. We had cell phones and saw no need. It turned out that our cell service did not get reception in the house. We had to walk outside and two houses over to get decent service. We ended up getting home phone service 4 months later. :rant: Kinda pissed me off because was were able to save $50 bucks a months. Not anymore.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have oly had a cell Phone for a Few years now. The biggest hassle I have had is with Banks. They always want a land line number, At first I just gave them my Cell Number but some how they can tell. So in the end I gave them my parents home number. It is funny that our comunication requirements are changing but Some of these large Corporations are very slow to make the change. i.e. the Goverment will not comunicate with you via email.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I'm in Telecommunications. One thing you guys can always do is see if the local provider sells metered lines. SBC makes me have a landline for the DSL as well (this is changing soon also, btw) so I have a metered line. It's unlimited receiving but limited calls out. This is a cheap solution ($14-16 a month) if you have a monitored alarm system in your home or if you just want the ability for people to call you on a landline. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
i never signed up for a land line when we moved here. the local company here is alltel and they wanted 50 for a POTS line per month. Screw that. i get 2 phones and and all the service that goes with verizon wireless for that.

one day the monopoly companies will learn - phone, cable, etc that we will not put up with the price gouging anymore

·
Registered
64 Posts
bubba said:
one day the monopoly companies will learn - phone, cable, etc that we will not put up with the price gouging anymore
Unfortunately a cable/telephone company needs to maintain cabling - hundreds of thousands of feet of it - on a regular basis. They are riding a 1920's technology bubble that been around longer then it should have been. Wireless internet combined with pay-per-channel is the future boys and girls!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
i never signed up for a land line when we moved here. the local company here is alltel and they wanted 50 for a POTS line per month. Screw that. i get 2 phones and and all the service that goes with verizon wireless for that.

Your house isn't alarmed?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
RRWANTR said:
I would do this also, but need the verizon phone service in order to get DSL.. =(
If you look around some DSL providers don't require phone service. In SoCal I got adelphia without a phone. Ended up adding a land line for work though.

At our last house we never had a land line.

The land line providers have an enormous set of overhead costs cell providers don't with the lines to keep up. This is why many third world countries will never have widespread copper and have gone straight to cell.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Congrats HD...:thumb:

We'd love to get rid of our land line ($45/mo) but haven't found an International calling setup that works well enough via cell or broadband... :(

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
bubba said:

50 bucks??!? I get ISDN BRI for that, with unlimited anywhere calling on it. I was actually suprised at PacBell/SBC/AT&T for offering it so cheap.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Baketech said:
Congrats HD...:thumb:

We'd love to get rid of our land line ($45/mo) but haven't found an International calling setup that works well enough via cell or broadband... :(
I use http://www.g3telecom.com/us/Default.aspx for long distance from my cell. It is great, cheap rates, and you can program your phone with the pin numbers, and it will dial automatically. As long as you have free local calling with your cell, and a local call number, you should be cruising. I used to call my family in the UK every morning from my cell on the way to work, stuck in traffic. 3c per min. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
luvtolean said:
If you look around some DSL providers don't require phone service. In SoCal I got adelphia without a phone. Ended up adding a land line for work though.

At our last house we never had a land line.

The land line providers have an enormous set of overhead costs cell providers don't with the lines to keep up. This is why many third world countries will never have widespread copper and have gone straight to cell.
Out here away from the major cities, I believe Verizon is the only choice for dsl...I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
RRWANTR said:
I would do this also, but need the verizon phone service in order to get DSL.. =(
:plus1: Either that or I would have to add cable tv to have high speed through the cable company. :rant:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I truned my phone line off in Dec, and stopped my MSN dail up account. So now I'm saving 34 from the phone and 22 from msn. But I did order cable internet for 30 a month. But I'm damn glad I got rid of that phone, seems all it did was collect dust.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts