Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding in hot weather can sometimes be a bit of a struggle, especially with the current spate of hot weather.

One option is to wear an evaporative cooling vest. Though cooling vests are at their best in hot and dry climates, they can also offer benefit in humid climates. There are quite a few on the market to choose from.

I have a review up on my website for the Joe Rocket Sahara vest.
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/joe_rocket/sahara.htm

Though the review deals with one model in particular, the concepts and comments can be applied to most quality evaporative vests.

A good cooling vest will lower your level of body heat stress and fatigue. It will even make sitting in traffic more bearable. Something to consider.

Another option is a good pair of mesh or breathable pants that don't significantly compromise on safety.

You can definitely be stewing in your own juices when wearing regular riding pants in more extreme weather. Again, a good pair of vented pants will lower your heat stress.

If the mesh is well positioned, it limits the amount of engine heat exposure.

As example, I have a review and comments up on the Teknic Supervent pants.

http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/teknic/supervent.htm

Seeker
Montreal, Canada
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Here in the dry heat of AZ I have a method I use for my vest also. I'll dunk that bad boy in some water the night before I go on a ride, then stick it in the fridge. Leave there over night and in the morning that sucker is cold as cold can be. I have even tried the freezer which also worked, much better then I thought it would too.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Camelbaks rule! I used one for the first time on a long, hot 13 hr 450 mile ride in the Catskills a couple of Sundays ago. Nice! I filled it with ice and wore it under my 'stich and it helped keep me cool. Plus, it was nice to have access to water whenever I wanted/needed it. I won't go on a trip without it anymore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ReaperAZ said:
Here in the dry heat of AZ I have a method I use for my vest also. I'll dunk that bad boy in some water the night before I go on a ride, then stick it in the fridge. Leave there over night and in the morning that sucker is cold as cold can be. I have even tried the freezer which also worked, much better then I thought it would too.
Fridge method works well. Freezer might actually be less effective. :eek:
Too cold and it contricts your surface blood vessels, so you feel cool on the outside but shed less core temp.

In dry heat I also soak a long sleeve t-shirt in water and wear that under my evap vest. Provides cooling to more surface area and really makes a difference! :thumb:

Seeker
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
My leathers are well vented. If I go out for more than an hour or two I usually wear my underarmour shirt and it helps tremendously.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
ND4SPD said:
My leathers are well vented. If I go out for more than an hour or two I usually wear my underarmour shirt and it helps tremendously.
underarmour as in the sportswear brand or as in one of those shirts that has armor built in?

This seems pretty cool, I didn't know thats what the sahara vest was for.

·
Registered
723 Posts
ND4SPD said:
The brand. Nike has their own line of pretty much the same stuff. It works well.
Nike Dri-fit.

I've got both, UnderArmor and Dri-Fit; I like them when I'm in full leathers out in the sun. :D Once you take the leathers off it's just SOOO cold. :D

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Dad and I started doing this when we would ride our bikes from Nashville to the Keys in the summers. Open all the vents on the jacket and even zip the front down to get some air around the neck. We both had Aerostitch's with the big pockets on the front. We took a powerade bottle with the "power-flow cap" (rubber diaphram that kept the liquid in until squeezed or sucked on) and filled them with water at each stop. We'd also dowse ourselves with water before we left. Then on the next 2-3 hour leg, we could reach into the pocket and reapply the water to our next and sides through the vents and the temp would drop quick... GA and FL in July would make it evap quickly, but as long as we stayed moving, we would have 2-3 "re-charges" in the bottle, and be stopping for gas when it was out.
Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
when i stop i put my jacket in with the bags of ice they sell. along with the water down the shirt.
its so humid here that it dosent work as good as a drier climet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts