Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CNN: Enron founder Ken Lay has died in Aspen, Colorado, a spokesman for Lay's family said today. Lay was awaiting sentencing after being found guilty of conspiracy and fraud.

Latest I heard was massive coronary.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Can't say that upsets me in anyway. Almost makes me smile...except for the fact he won't get to rot in jail for any time.

Though it's almost impossibly hard to understand that case, if even a small part of what he was found guilty of is true...that scumbag ruined thousands of people's lives.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
You're just pissed because they were large contributors to the creation of SOX. ;)

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
CIA got him. The Bush administration was worried about what he'd say to reduce his sentence.

The democrats are demanding that he be cloned so he can serve his time and so they can get that all-important picture of him in the jail jumpsuit.

:D

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
CBRVFR said:
CIA got him. The Bush administration was worried about what he'd say to reduce his sentence.

The democrats are demanding that he be cloned so he can serve his time and so they can get that all-important picture of him in the jail jumpsuit.

Another mysterious klinton connection death. Lay was just as connected to billy bob as he was W.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
CBRVFR said:

:rotfl:I like your thinking.

There's a documentary out called "The Smart Guys" or something like that I think, but I just can't get myself to watch it (pay per view) because I know I'll be pissed at the end. Spend $4.00 to get pissed off? But, a part of me wants to know more about those evil pricks and what they did to those thousands of workers. :crap:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SuperDave said:
a part of me wants to know more about those evil pricks and what they did to those thousands of workers.
I highly recommend the book "Conspiracy of Fools".

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Pete said:
I highly recommend the book "Conspiracy of Fools".
:thumb:

I have a long flight tomorrow, sounds like the perfect book for it.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
luvtolean said:
:thumb:

I have a long flight tomorrow, sounds like the perfect book for it.
Absolutely. It's very well-written and difficult to "put down". I was expecting a boring account of the shady financial details, but it reads like a, dare I say, suspenseful thriller.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
CBRVFR said:

:rotfl: are you a shadow writer for Mr Moore?

While he was a convicted criminal I wish no more evil on him than what he would have been sentenced to. While he did ruin lives most of those severely impacted were in the position to get :sheepsex: because of greed. Good practices would have minimized the exposure to company stock thus reducing the impact from his criminal actions.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
sheepofblue said:
While he did ruin lives most of those severely impacted were in the position to get :sheepsex: because of greed. Good practices would have minimized the exposure to company stock thus reducing the impact from his criminal actions.
Sheep, that is nonsense.

The people inside the company got burned could well have no knowledge...those who did, like Lay, got the hell out at the right time.

I am very heavily invested in my company, and if there's something going on in accounting...I'd have no way to know about it. Call it risk if you like, but that's the modern model for compensation in many companies nowadays...enough salary to get by, and real wealth building possibilities through various stock and option plans.

As for the fund managers that were burned, those are just average Joe six pack with 401k plans getting burned ultimately.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
sheepofblue said:
While he did ruin lives most of those severely impacted were in the position to get :sheepsex: because of greed.
:huh: Are you saying the majority that got robbed were destined to because of THEIR greed?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
sheepofblue said:
:rotfl: are you a shadow writer for Mr Moore?

While he was a convicted criminal I wish no more evil on him than what he would have been sentenced to. While he did ruin lives most of those severely impacted were in the position to get :sheepsex: because of greed. Good practices would have minimized the exposure to company stock thus reducing the impact from his criminal actions.
I have a good line there for Moore and Limbaugh..:idunno: The guy was a greedy thief, I won't miss him. His greed impacted many people who only trusted his promises. I don't see how they're to blame.

Also - don't confuse "Conspiracy of Fools" with 'Confederacy of Dunces" or you'll be very sorry.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Not just promises, Enron had been delivering some pretty spectacular results and made lots of people real money.

To hedge my statement, spectacular results aren't necessarily cause for concern. Plenty of companies, say Dell or Microsoft, just have great leadership and a great business model which lead to their unbelievable growth as a company (despite what some of the nerds on here say about them...).

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
luvtolean said:
Sheep, that is nonsense.

The people inside the company got burned could well have no knowledge...those who did, like Lay, got the hell out at the right time.

I am very heavily invested in my company, and if there's something going on in accounting...I'd have no way to know about it. Call it risk if you like, but that's the modern model for compensation in many companies nowadays...enough salary to get by, and real wealth building possibilities through various stock and option plans.

As for the fund managers that were burned, those are just average Joe six pack with 401k plans getting burned ultimately.
BZZZ wrong ;) If you are heavily invested in any single company you are over exposed to risk. Compound this by it being your job also and common investing principles recommend you divest. In some cases the ability to divest is limited but the folks that lost everything in the Enron case did not have to be 100% in stock (and should not have been). Further most were not diversified because the 'stock is growing so well' (I heard this from the victims on the news) thus personal GREED. The hard worker who had 10% company stock (or a similar reasonable value) and the rest diversified took a big hit by losing 10% and a job but was not destroyed like the greedy ones :idunno:

EDIT: in the example of Microsoft a bet in 100% would have paid off. However higher returns equals higher risk. When your high risk investment fails you should have some hedges, to not temper the risk is dangerous.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts