Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being frustrated with the scratching keychains do to our bikes and forgetting the key in our pocket with gear all on, my brother and I have made a bluetooth keyless start system for motorcycles.

It allows you to pair you bluetooth phone to our device which then allows you to start your motorcycle without needing your keys. We are going through crowd sourcing to bring our product to market and right now we are in an auditioning phase where people can give feedback on the idea. If you are interested in something like this, please head over to the site (BRAT - Keyless Ignition for your Motorcycle | Wix.com) and see what you think. Thank you.

Ride Safe!
-- Jeff

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I'd rather stick with the stock system to be honest. If you use the steering lock, you're still going to need the key, and I don't fancy messing around with my phone every time I want to ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify. Once your phone is paired - you never need to access your phone again - it is all in the background. There is no app installed on your phone.
Also - this compliments your existing system and I would recommend you carry your key with you, not only for the locks on the bike but aslo as a back up for you in case your cell phone battery dies.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Seems like a great idea to me, I love to see people trying to innovate and finding news ways of doing things.

I'd need to know a lot more before I doled out my $250, like what happens if your phone dies whilst you're riding the bike, how do you pair your phone with the bike or more importantly how easy is it for others to do so etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like a great idea to me, I love to see people trying to innovate and finding news ways of doing things.

I'd need to know a lot more before I doled out my $250, like what happens if your phone dies whilst you're riding the bike, how do you pair your phone with the bike or more importantly how easy is it for others to do so etc.
Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated. These are great questions for us to address:
What happens when your phone dies while riding? nothing - the system only looks for your phone when you initially start - never again until you turn it off and back on again. So if your phone dies while riding - you will need you factory key to start the bike (the installation does not effect your factory key system) - or charge your phone :)

The pairing is just like any other bluetooth device. First, the pairing button is located within the module - so nothing that is "easily" accessible when mounted. When in pairing mode and your phone is in pairing mode; the phone will then prompt for a PIN code - the PIN code is unique to the module - only one for that module. The module pairs to your phone and is secured with your phone's MAC address - adding to the security of the connection.

Any further questions are welcomed - the feedback from this forum is important to us and making this product as easy and simple to use as possible - the intent of the entire product is to make riding even easier.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Security is the only thing I'd be concerned about. I like having a key because I can hold on to it. I can feel it in my pocket. I know that its the only one that will start the bike.
But getting the gloves on then remembering the keys are still in the pocket is a true pain in the ass...so I can also see the convenience of this.
Hope it works out for ya.
How secure is this anyway? Is the signal encrypted or whatever?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Security is the only thing I'd be concerned about. I like having a key because I can hold on to it. I can feel it in my pocket. I know that its the only one that will start the bike.
But getting the gloves on then remembering the keys are still in the pocket is a true pain in the ass...so I can also see the convenience of this.
Hope it works out for ya.
How secure is this anyway? Is the signal encrypted or whatever?
Thank you for the feedback and questions. We absolutely agree with you point on getting our gloves on only to realize our keys are in our pocket - this happens way more often then it should for me.

Security was and is a definite concern for us as well. This product utilizes the security built-in to the national Bluetooth specifications. It is a unique PIN code that must be entered into the phone to properly pair. Similar PIN code that you use for your ATM transactions. This is one part of the security - we also tie the connection to the unique MAC address of your cellphone as well. Hope that clarifies some of the security concerns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds interesting.. How do you start the bike, is a button start included or am I missing something?

WOW thats my 1000 post :)
Thank you for the comment - yes, there is button that is included - or you can use one of your own. You simply push it on to energize your bike and push it off to turn the bike off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like a great project - I was just doing a search to see if anything new out there and came across this.

I have done a key-less hands-free system adapting a car alarm system; essentially my relay interface with a latch can be used with any trigger system and I'm essentially just using the alarm for the RFID proximity capability - http://www.***************/speed-triple-forum/164192-keyless-ignition-part-deux.html

I use the clutch switch as an additional enable, so the ignition does not immediately come on when in range.

Your Phone Bluetooth concept is really nice - I'd love to stay abreast of your progress on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your comments - pretty cool setup you have yourself. If you go to our website (BRAT | START.ac) it will route you to our crowdfunding site where you can follow on START.ac or find bratkey on facebook or twitter and follow there as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice idea. 2 questions.

Would fitting this have any warranty issues with bikes still under warranty?
3rd party alarms would presumably still require the use of a remote to arm/disarm the system, presumably the device would make the alarm think the ignition is switched on and not automatically cause the alarms to reactivate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice idea. 2 questions.

Would fitting this have any warranty issues with bikes still under warranty?
3rd party alarms would presumably still require the use of a remote to arm/disarm the system, presumably the device would make the alarm think the ignition is switched on and not automatically cause the alarms to reactivate.
Great questions -installation of this unit requires no modification to your existing wiring system - it compliments it with parallel connections so it should not void any warranty. We are planning on releasing an alarm accessory next year for this system. However, if you are using a 3rd party alarm - this system should not effect it. The BRAT works and looks like your current key switch.
Hope that answers your questions - let me know if I need to clarify further.
Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where can I get one?.... u should sell on ebay since all the sites are jacked up...
Great to hear your interest - we are still working on the production release - did some product modifications and we expect to have them available by summer. If you can email me direct ([email protected]) - I will keep you updated.

Thank you again for your interest - Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts