Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Did you try removing the hard drive, getting some sorta static shock going with your carpet and feet then shocking the hard drive to see if that will wipe it out?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
ConqSoft said:
I don't need to corrupt the data... It already does that on its own, though, they can't find any problems with their diagnostics. So, when it goes back, I'm guaranteeing they will find a hardware problem.
I know IBM hates it when they can verify that you slamed it really hard so the read heads hit the platters causing it to not work or come up with errs.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ok, I just talked to my dad the P.C. whiz. He said any physical damage is not advisable due to evidence left behind. According to him you need a program to wipe out the hard drive (but some people maybe able to recover the hard drive data). He said the best way to destroy it so that noone will be able to read the data is to, 1:remove hard drive 2: power hard drive directly with reveresed polarity from external power source like a car battery 3: reinstall hard drive. This way there is no real physical damage and no one will be able to read the data using corruption retreival software. Be carefull not to use too much power so the drive doesn't melt or blow up(he said it not me). The hard drive runs on 12v to give you an idea of how much power to use, i'm not sure since i've never done this, but I think 20v sould be sufficient without smoking the wires.

p.s. DISCLAIMER, I'VE NEVER DONE THIS SO I'M NOT PROMISING RESULTS.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
LUCIDDREAM57 said:
Ok, I just talked to my dad the P.C. whiz. He said any physical damage is not advisable due to evidence left behind.
I have never known anyone to come back and say that I slammed a drive. I highly doubt the geeksquad is going to cleanroom it right there.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Tombstone said:
I have never known anyone to come back and say that I slammed a drive. I highly doubt the geeksquad is going to cleanroom it right there.
I'm just a messenger dude, my first instinct would be to rough it up real good too.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I was going to suggest over-voltage too but looks like you're all set!

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back.... He wanted me to bring my OS CD in. :rolleyes: I told him that it wouldn't do him any good until he gets the system to recognize the hard drive. (which it wouldn't when he tried while I was standing there grinning from ear to ear)

So, we'll see what they find. It still has 1.5 years of warranty left.

Related: I just cancelled my Best Buy account and will not be making any further purchases from them. I'll pay off the remaining balance RIGHT before the no interest promotion ends, and that will be it.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
damn, my solution for killing anything electronic that I value is to bring it to best buy and let the geek squad work on it...so it looks like you dun the right thing Conq. :thumb:

p.s. losing data? Egghead had a 320gb SATA for 99$ today...3 of those and a fast sata card = 800mb raid 5 array?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts