Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i figured this was as good of a place as any for an introduction.
this is gonna be long, if you have a short attention span and dont feel like reading this, hi my name is aaron and i like bikes like i like air.

ive been riding everyday for over 4 years now. i started with a ninja 250, i drove my car to meet the dealer in a parking lot where he told me wich levers did what, i got on, took off got it into second turned around and told the dealer "i got it thanks!" i drove my car home parked it and he rode my bike home for me. that was the last time i had driven my car. i only had my motorcycle permit at the time and wore a cheap leather jacket and kbc helmet along with some jeans. seemed good enough to me at the time. i had a lot to learn(still do, always will). riding around town nervously was fun and scary at the same time. getting used to clutching with my hand was interesting. i understood the concept but taking the coordination i had with my feet and translating it correctly into hand movement was gonna take me a few tries. i remember taking off a lot faster than i thought i was gonna and having the bars ripped out of my hands as i frantically reach back to regain control. after a month i thought i was getting the hang of everything and had bought myself a pair of gloves(Olympian) and thought i could go fast now. so on my way to work i took a turn at the same speed i would normally take it driving my miata. was a mistake, i focus on the outside curb thinking i was gonna run into it and i did just that. bike started wobbling and i jumped off, minor scrape through my jeans but i was more concerned about my bike, as i got up and ran to my bike and when it didnt start i was heart broken. took it to the shop cause i didnt know that the carbs were just flooded and it would have started up fine if i just kept holding the throttle open while trying to start it. right blinker cost me and i lived with some scratches on the fairing. not too bad for my first crash. after that i was really hesitant about doing anything stupid on the bike for a while. slowly i built up my confidence and started to learn some basic fundamental thing about riding, like counter steering.
two years later i sold my ninja(mistake! i miss her) and got a hyosung gt650. i saved the money i would have spent on getting an sv650 and got myself a decent set of gear. it was actually a good bike, very fun to ride very forgiving handling however it was less than reliable. it was in the shop(which was paid for by hyosungs 2 year warranty thankfully) more than i wanted it to be(and if im gonna have to have a bike thats in the shop that often its gonna have to be a ducati) at which point i got myself a drz400sm that i thought would be kinda fun to ride while my main bike was in the shop. i never knew how much i could giggle like an idiot while riding. my main bike turned into the drz and the hyosung went into the shop one day and never came out and i traded it in for a honda 919. another bike that i had underestimated. the bike does everything well(not excellent but pretty ****ing good, best all around bike ive come across) and has been dead reliable. so noticing that my car had been sitting and rusting for 3 years i thought it was about time to get rid of it. eventually i was offered a motorcycle in exchange for the car(how could i say no?) and thats how i came across my honda f3. it was in pretty poor shape when i got it, cracked fairing and no headlight so i decided i would make it into a project.

well thats pretty much my riding history. my bikes take me everywhere i go rain or shine and i dont see myself ever jumping off the saddle unless its to hop on to my other bikes saddle.
thanks for reading if you made it this far.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Aaron,

Let me start by saying nice read :thumb:

You'll have to upload a few pictures of your bikes and make a page detailing the work which was done on the F3.

I see you commented on the Hornet not doing everything to an excellent standard, could you go into more detail?

Ride Safe

(Btw, have you done any motorcycle courses such as the MSF riding course? Well worth it (even for riders who have been riding all their lives) A big problem with in-experienced riders is the use of target fixation - looking where your bike is going instead of where you want to go. Thats one of the problems with the human brains.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried using image code that works for other forums but didnt work on this one. as soon as i can learn how i will. i just assumed this forum didn't allow you to.(some dont)
here is a link to a couple of pics of the f3. ive done a little more work on it since but i dont have a more recent photo.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3331/3410408566_96cbafb03c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3614/3410407962_64054f4cdf.jpg
i stupidly did not take the msf course. i have however learned about target fixation and how to look through your turn and to focus from entry point to apex to exit.

the 919 is good for riding through the city but not as good as my drz, its good for long trips but not as good as a proper touring bike, its good thorugh the twisty roads but again my drz and f3 do a bit better. so thats what i was getting at. its the most well rounded bike ive been on though.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
:hmm: after that read... I'll make it short....... :welcome::D

Reactions: jazzy

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
:welcome: R3DS!X.. and yes I read it all too :thumb:

Not knocking anyone or anything but I can't get over the fact that all you guys need over there is a permit to ride and you can just go for it.. Surely some kind of compulsory basic instruction would benefit new riders, like we have here in the UK before you are allowed to ride out on the roads unaccompanied..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is stupid. I agree the msf course should be mandatory

I also think you should have to ride a bike for 20k miles before you can get your drivers license. We have so many bad drivers in this country. A lot of them were shipped to us from other countries.

:welcome: R3DS!X.. and yes I read it all too :thumb:

Not knocking anyone or anything but I can't get over the fact that all you guys need over there is a permit to ride and you can just go for it.. Surely some kind of compulsory basic instruction would benefit new riders, like we have here in the UK before you are allowed to ride out on the roads unaccompanied..

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
G'day & :welcome: . Nice read.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
:welcome: good intro, I would recommend advanced training if you have anything like that available it'll probably help you enjoy your bikes a lot more!

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
the 919 is good for riding through the city but not as good as my drz, its good for long trips but not as good as a proper touring bike, its good thorugh the twisty roads but again my drz and f3 do a bit better. so thats what i was getting at. its the most well rounded bike ive been on though.
I see where you are coming from, the 919 is a bit of a heavy beast but then again she is a naked street bike (unlike the Tourer VFR whos smooth and easy on your joints).

i plan on riding it.
:rotfl: Good comment - But I think he mean't are you planning on doing anything else to her?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i figured this was as good of a place as any for an introduction.
this is gonna be long, if you have a short attention span and dont feel like reading this, hi my name is aaron and i like bikes like i like air.

ive been riding everyday for over 4 years now. i started with a ninja 250, i drove my car to meet the dealer in a parking lot where he told me wich levers did what, i got on, took off got it into second turned around and told the dealer "i got it thanks!" i drove my car home parked it and he rode my bike home for me. that was the last time i had driven my car. i only had my motorcycle permit at the time and wore a cheap leather jacket and kbc helmet along with some jeans. seemed good enough to me at the time. i had a lot to learn(still do, always will). riding around town nervously was fun and scary at the same time. getting used to clutching with my hand was interesting. i understood the concept but taking the coordination i had with my feet and translating it correctly into hand movement was gonna take me a few tries. i remember taking off a lot faster than i thought i was gonna and having the bars ripped out of my hands as i frantically reach back to regain control. after a month i thought i was getting the hang of everything and had bought myself a pair of gloves(Olympian) and thought i could go fast now. so on my way to work i took a turn at the same speed i would normally take it driving my miata. was a mistake, i focus on the outside curb thinking i was gonna run into it and i did just that. bike started wobbling and i jumped off, minor scrape through my jeans but i was more concerned about my bike, as i got up and ran to my bike and when it didnt start i was heart broken. took it to the shop cause i didnt know that the carbs were just flooded and it would have started up fine if i just kept holding the throttle open while trying to start it. right blinker cost me and i lived with some scratches on the fairing. not too bad for my first crash. after that i was really hesitant about doing anything stupid on the bike for a while. slowly i built up my confidence and started to learn some basic fundamental thing about riding, like counter steering.
two years later i sold my ninja(mistake! i miss her) and got a hyosung gt650. i saved the money i would have spent on getting an sv650 and got myself a decent set of gear. it was actually a good bike, very fun to ride very forgiving handling however it was less than reliable. it was in the shop(which was paid for by hyosungs 2 year warranty thankfully) more than i wanted it to be(and if im gonna have to have a bike thats in the shop that often its gonna have to be a ducati) at which point i got myself a drz400sm that i thought would be kinda fun to ride while my main bike was in the shop. i never knew how much i could giggle like an idiot while riding. my main bike turned into the drz and the hyosung went into the shop one day and never came out and i traded it in for a honda 919. another bike that i had underestimated. the bike does everything well(not excellent but pretty ****ing good, best all around bike ive come across) and has been dead reliable. so noticing that my car had been sitting and rusting for 3 years i thought it was about time to get rid of it. eventually i was offered a motorcycle in exchange for the car(how could i say no?) and thats how i came across my honda f3. it was in pretty poor shape when i got it, cracked fairing and no headlight so i decided i would make it into a project.

well thats pretty much my riding history. my bikes take me everywhere i go rain or shine and i dont see myself ever jumping off the saddle unless its to hop on to my other bikes saddle.
thanks for reading if you made it this far.
Cool story Aaron :)
I wish I could remember what it was like when I first started riding but I ran out of room in my brain and had to delete a lot of the old stuff :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts