Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the genie is out of the bottle and grants you 24 hours in the top job - Your the President for a day and what you say gets set in concrete - you get to make 1 major change and that change stays. What single thing would you do and how does it benefit the country?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Radical increases in the budgets of the National Science Foundation and the Depeartment of energy to generate the next generation of technology, scientists, and engineers, to keep the United States at the forefront of technological development in the world.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
legalize and tax drugs. That would put so much extra money at hand that we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves.... oh yeah and put a nice hole where Iraq is... you know to make it easier to get to the oil....

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I would amend the Constitution. Within that one thing, the amendment to the constitution, would be three areas, all interconnected. First would change how the legislature gets staffed, second how business investment/shares of stock work, and finally how campaigns for political office are funded.
Instead of popular elections within given districts/states, etc, the lower house would be randomly assigned to individuals from the citizenry/population at large, and the upper house would be elected in a similar fashion as we do now, but without the money...All campaigns would be funded by the gov't with ONLY broadcasted debates, moderated by NON-journalists, as the only "media" allowed. Volunteers would still be necessary to secure a place on the given ballot, but once "in" a person would only be allowed to debate issues with the others. Finally, in keeping with the changing governmental parameters, corporations would be controlled ONLY by the employees (like a democracy) with "shares of stock" being converted into bond-instruments, with investors having NO VOTE in how the company operates, and so no way to have the company exert influence over (or be influenced by) the political sphere.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I could decide who to go after -
Oil companies
Tabacco
Fast food
Lawyers...
Drug Dealers

They all make a mess... I think our kids deserve more protection as they grow up so I think (drugs) that would be a priority.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I don't think I could decide who to go after -
Oil companies
Tabacco
Fast food
Lawyers...
Drug Dealers

They all make a mess... I think our kids deserve more protection as they grow up so I think (drugs) that would be a priority.
A lawyer makes no mess, it is the idiot who chooses to sue that you should be against, not the hard working professional who completes the paperwoek and goes to court...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most of the lawyers I know and have dealt with don't have an easy time of life that is for sure... I agree the system is at fault and the fact that you can sue for just about anything these days is the guts of the problem. Bring back personal responsibility don't you think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts