Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My suit (Teknic Violator) came with knee pucks. I don't drag my knees, atleast not yet.
Should I still wear them?
Is it better protection to keep them on.

It seems like if I wrecked that they might hurt my knees if I fall on them since they are so hard. It would be like falling on a rock. :idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I always left mine on, but occasionally someone would harass me for them. If this bugs you, you could always loan them to a track junkie friend for a day. ;)

It's up to you.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could care less what people say or think. I just wanted to know if it was safer to have them on or off.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I guess theoretically it might be safer, but not enough to make it worth talking about.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Maybe this can help...

Premise: Kneepucks are a guide to let you know where the ground is while leaning over on the track. Not only does it act as a curb feeler, it also keeps you from patching your leathers at the knee after a track or race day if you did not have them.

If you need kneepucks on the street,...

a) you are an idiot about to cause great bodily harm or death to yourself

b) you are an idiot about to cause great bodily harm or death to someone else

c) both, and you are still an idiot

d) just posing for the local crew

In other words, take them off for street riding unless you pick answer d.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The fact that you got some good gear tells me you are not an idiot!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Alternative to Maxib (sorry) in a RARE case you are going down you MIGHT be able to lever the bike back up using your knee. This would be perferable with a puck. That said you should never use them on the street unless you are a large guy.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
What the heck does being a large guy have to do with it?

I've touched pucks on the street at legal speeds just to do it. Maybe it's not advisable, and I wouldn't want to bang my knee on a reflector or road debris...but I think this anti-puck stuff is all a bit overstated.

Taking your pucks off does nothing beneficial for you other than possibly avoiding LEO attention. Leaving them on isn't going to harm anything.

I don't normally touch a knee down on the street, but don't take pucks off on a street ride, nor do I plan to start.

Reactions: Linus

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I'll trade you some used ones for your new ones. I like the Teknic pucks...:eyebrows:

·
Registered
194 Posts
What the heck does being a large guy have to do with it?

I've touched pucks on the street at legal speeds just to do it. Maybe it's not advisable, and I wouldn't want to bang my knee on a reflector or road debris...but I think this anti-puck stuff is all a bit overstated.

Taking your pucks off does nothing beneficial for you other than possibly avoiding LEO attention. Leaving them on isn't going to harm anything.

I don't normally touch a knee down on the street, but don't take pucks off on a street ride, nor do I plan to start.
:plus1: I've outgrown using the sparkies on on ramps but they sure have come in handy a few times-even at low speeds.

How do you feel about using race boots when you are riding on the street-or will tennis shoes do?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
No sparkies on ramps here in Cali please. We have enough fire trouble.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No sparkies on ramps here in Cali please. We have enough fire trouble.
agreed-I lived in the LA area-it is not advisable-it isnt too bad in humid hot michigan-and again I have outgrown it-going to Grattan is always better anyways. I've taken 1 ride on the street this year so far anyways and of couse in full gear

·
Registered
690 Posts
How does he stay so cut in spite of all the beer and cigars?

I do not know, all I know is the guys is *cough* years older then me.... and he is walking around the paddock with no shirt on, as I am sitting in my camping chair with a t-shirt on saying "do not feed the bears."

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
or since he's not gonna touch them down on the street he could say to the cop "look they don't have a mark on them, I couldn't have been going that fast"

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I do not know, all I know is the guys is *cough* years older then me.... and he is walking around the paddock with no shirt on, as I am sitting in my camping chair with a t-shirt on saying "do not feed the bears."

What a stud. I bet he's hung too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts