Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other than Buck who makes a good hunting knife? I am looking for something with a SHARP blade, serated parts and possibly a hook. obviously something with a handle that will be less likely to slip when engorged in blood.

Blade length between 4-6 inches
Non Folding
To be used as a boot knife

bring on the suggestions :eyebrows:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Gerber. Been a while since I checked with them but I have a great folding serrated, single edge from them. Thing is sharp and has taken all sorts of beatings. Nice rubberized grips. Very nice. Not sure they have non-folding but worth a look.....

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Make your own...it's relatively easy, and yours will be unique... :nod:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
All depends on how much you want to spend. Most true "hunting" knives are plain edged with no serration. If I were you I'd get a Benchmade...I own a chit load of them. They make two fantastic hunting knives 1) Model 190 retails for $105 and has a 3.9" blade. I have one I used for gutting deer and have used it 6 times without ever sharpening it. That thing is sweet. The other 2) Model 10500 RANT Bowie, it has a 3.95" blade and is deigned by Mel Pardue, it too holds an edge very well. It retails for like $60 I think. Neither are serrated but with the edge these two have you won't need it. I usually will carry a bone saw style blade for when I really need the serrated. Any of the high end knive companys have really nice blades and will most likely work for you. Now if money is no object pick up a Chris Reeve knife...oh they are so sweet. I have a Chris Reeve Green Beret with the 5.5" blade and it has to be one of the nicest knives I have ever used....very pricey however at $289.00 retail. The choices are endless..have fun and don't be affraid to spend a little extra on a quality knife.

Dano

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
They're not fancy or high end, but I have always liked my Gerbers too.

Why not just a Ka Bar?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
If you don't want to spend much more than you would on a Buck, I second the Gerber and Benchmade brands. As Dano implies, you can go hog-wild with your wallet to step up to very fine cutlery, but I don't think that's what you're looking for, right?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
bubba said:
other than Buck who makes a good hunting knife? I am looking for something with a SHARP blade, serated parts and possibly a hook. obviously something with a handle that will be less likely to slip when engorged in blood.

Blade length between 4-6 inches
Non Folding
To be used as a boot knife

bring on the suggestions :eyebrows:
What ever I did to anger you ....I'm sorry. :eek:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thaks guys, keep em coming

pete, the price as of this moment in not important. i have already spent an assload on all the other hunting stuff a couple hundred more is not going to break me

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey Bake,
Do you forge or grind? I have a bowie style knife made by an old blacksmith, it is absolutely the best piece of steel I have ever seen.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
half said:
Hey Bake,
Do you forge or grind? I have a bowie style knife made by an old blacksmith, it is absolutely the best piece of steel I have ever seen.

I started out using old files....but now you can buy blanks about anywhere for grinding. Would love to try to forge sometime....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Last year I picked up an old forge. Billows(hand crank of course), pit, and hood. I lack the space and time to set it up, but I will get to use it someday. I would love to know how to properly temper steel to any desired strength.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
half said:
Last year I picked up an old forge. Billows(hand crank of course), pit, and hood. I lack the space and time to set it up, but I will get to use it someday. I would love to know how to properly temper steel to any desired strength.
Rock On!!!

I can harden and temper with modern tools, but would love to try a "real" forge.... :nod:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Baketech said:
Rock On!!!

I can harden and temper with modern tools, but would love to try a "real" forge.... :nod:
I have tried a little, but it is either one extreme or the other. Marshmellows or shrapnal. :D

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Baketech said:
Rock On!!!

make me one :eyebrows:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts