Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Knocking when cold at idle rpm's

16K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  bladeviper 
#1 · (Edited)
This just started a couple weeks back. I get this knocking noise on cold start-up. It only does it when it sits a couple hours then start it again. After its warm and Im off riding it quiets down almost all the way, if not completely. Its pretty loud and kinda scares me. The sound pretty much came from nowhere. It sounded normal one day then noisy the next. Ive read numerous posts on noises. Might go ahead and replace the CCT just for kicks. The bike has almost 28,000 miles on it. I wrecked the bike back in Nov 07. Put 6,000 miles since then. After the wreck it sat for a couple months and it sounded like more noises were around than before the wreck. It might just be a paranoia thing. Anyhow if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it as I am going to my first track day at Putnam on Oct 19th. I might just wait till after then to start tearing into it so I dont screw something up. Thats how my luck goes...

#4 ·
I didn't mention it but I also have this buzzing noise around 4k rpm or so in every gear. Like its coming from a loose fairing. Doesn't sound like its coming from the motor though. But that sound is like right under the front of the gas tank. I replaced the spark plugs about 10,000 miles ago. I had a spark plug come loose on my F3 a long time ago and blow out the cylinder. I need to make sure they are tight, that might just end up being this buzzing noise....

#5 ·
Ok scratch the buzzing. I put on a carbon front fender on a few weeks ago and found out that its the buzzing. But the more important knocking noise, well I cant figure it out. I started it up a minute ago and the knocking sounded like it it was coming from the lower case. Exactly what I didnt want to hear. I bought the bike with 4900 miles on the odo. Ive kept the maintenence up on great. Other than not checking valve clearances. Synthetic oil since I bought it.

#7 ·
Is there anyway to post a video? Hmm I hate describing sounds. It might be like a predetonation. It sounds like something is loose and banging around. Maybe like a hammer hitting the case. There is no pattern to the sound. Real random knocks.

#13 ·
if the nose goes away at hi rpms then chances r its the timin tenchener (im not a good speller lol ) replac it with a a.p.e one its ajustable .............im a bike mechanic and that happens alot with the 954 929s the part is only 65 bucks thtas it for shore if u call me and put the phone n ere the bike i can really give u a better diegnos 732 921 6378

#15 ·
Well I got a video. Actually 2. This is the first one. Of course when I take a video its not really present. You can kinda hear it near the end of the vid. The second video Ill post in a minute. In the second one I just hit the throttle and you can hear the weird noise. Thats what it sounds like when I start it up usually but all the time not just when I hit the throttle.
YouTube - 954 knocking issue

#17 ·
To get a better recording of the engine rather than the muffler hold a handful of rags in the end of the muffler.

#24 ·
Just refreshing this thread. :) Last weekend at the track went great. The noise is still around but not getting any worse. Im going on a trip at the end of the month to the DRAGON. So Im going to wait till after to pull the clutch cover off and check things out. My next track day is June 14th so I dont have a lot of time. When I pull the cover off is there anything I should watch out for in terms of disassembly? Also what should I look for to be the problem with the noise? Im guessing/hoping its in the tranny area and not the engine.
So what connects the engine to the tranny internally that would possibly make the noise?

#27 ·
Ya I have about 29k miles on the bike which about 25k miles were put on by me so I know how its been drivin. Which is pretty good I think. I get on it but dont dog it. I dont notice the sound when Im riding only at a standstill and it doesnt go with rpms. Well thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.