Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may or may not have known, this past weekend was STAR school at Mid-America Motorplex.  I was very excited about the weekend since it was at a track I know pretty well and now that I've been racing a little I had some specific areas I was hoping to improve.  Unfortunately on Saturday I found my limit on corner entry speed into turn 7.  I went into the turn a little faster than normal (probably 65-70 mph) but I didn't think it was too fast.  In fact, I never thought that I wouldn't make the turn until, well, I didn't make it.  I threw the bike into the corner and soon after the front wheel just tucked under.  The bike slid across the track and into the grass, and Kris came tumbling after.  I did a nice barrell-roll that seemed to last forever.  When I finally got stopped, I had to spit out a little dirt which had made its way inside my helmet.  I could feel a cut on my cheekbone directly below my left eye and felt that my right shoulder wasn't quite right, but I immediately got to my feet and walked away from the corner.  A couple of instuctors stopped and I hitched a ride back to the pits with one of them while the other rode the RC back.  The EMT's didn't think my collarbone was broken which was my first thought since that's a common injury.  They gave me an ice pack for my eye and told me that they could take me to the hospital to get checked out if I thought I needed to.  I really didn't want to ruin everyone else's day since they would have to stay off the track while the ambulance was gone, so I went back to the pits to sit a while and see if anything improved.  It was apparent that I was going to have a nice black eye, but my shoulder really worried me.  I was hoping that I just pulled some muscles.  After half an hour or so, I decided it would be best to find out what was wrong, so I called my parents to come pick me up and take me to the emergency room.  They took a few X-rays.  The technician asked me 'How did you land again?  Did you land on your back?'  I asked her, 'scapula?'.  'Yep.'  I had fractured my shoulder blade.  Apparently, this is a very difficult bone to break.  It's only the second one they'd ever seen at that emergency room; the other guy had fallen off a 40-foot ladder.  Right now I'm really bummed because I was supposed to race July 5-6 at MAM and was really looking forward to that weekend.  I also missed out on the opportunity to improve my riding at STAR school.  I'm thankful that I can at least walk this time (this is much better than a broken heel! ) and I'm not in much pain unless I try to raise my arm.  It'll heal and I'll be back.  

-Kris

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
was that the one LDH was at? Seems like I heard turn 7 out of him too... Weird.

Best of luck to recovery buddy! You still gonna race in august in topeka right?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, LDH crashed the session before. He was in turn 8 (turns 7 and 8 are two 90 degree corners that you kinda take as one turn). I'm guessing this will take 6-8 weeks to heal. Hopefully I'll be back in time for Heartland Park.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
you have any blue stuff on your tires? Did you see any debri on the track? Its just weird, seems lots of people went down there this weekend...

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash but I'm glad you will be ok.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Glad you are OK overall... Any idea how you got a cut under your eye? Were you racing in your leather harley helmet again? It sounds like the bike isnt too bad either if a corner worker rode it to the pits.... Hope you get back on it soon!
Chris

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Hey Kris, that's too funny. Last summer when I broke my shoulder (and a few ribs), they were saying the same thing to me about the scapula. People from the developing room came out to ask how I did it. How are you taking care of it? I kept mine in a sling too long and now my collor bones don't match. Ther're not even close.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
To hell with you, how is the RC?

J/K buddy, glad it wasn't worse, you'll get back to speed soon enough.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nedro : Hey Kris, that's too funny. Last summer when I broke my shoulder (and a few ribs), they were saying the same thing to me about the scapula. People from the developing room came out to ask how I did it. How are you taking care of it? I kept mine in a sling too long and now my collor bones don't match. Ther're not even close.
My arm is in a sling right now. I'm supposed to be making an appointment with an ortho doctor this week. They gave me a prescription for Tylenol with coedine (sp?) but I'm using it very sparingly.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ccwilli3 : you have any blue stuff on your tires?  Did you see any debri on the track?  Its just weird, seems lots of people went down there this weekend...
I really don't think I can blame anything other than rider error, even though I don't know what exactly I did wrong.  I was trying a new front tire (M2 instead of usual S2) but it should have been up to temp by that time.  Maybe it just wasn't ready for that much lean angle; I don't know.  All I can figure is that I put a wrong input into the bike to cause the tuck.  There was no warning slide; it just went.

The bike will be okay. Need a new upper and another windscreen (I've already got a spare for that). The right exhaust is pushed in but can probably be straightened. The rear brake pedal is bent and it snapped off the front brake lever. Radiator looks pushed in a little but doesn't appear to be leaking.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NinerPilot : Glad you are OK overall...  Any idea how you got a cut under your eye?  Were you racing in your leather harley helmet again?     It sounds like the bike  isnt too bad either if a corner worker rode it to the pits....  Hope you get back on it soon!
Chris
The eye injury is very bizzare. I just looked at my helmet again yesterday and the plastic vent that's a part of the shield (Arai) is missing. I wonder if it broke off and cut my eye. It had to be a decent hit though to give me a black eye in addition to the cut. THANK GOD it didn't go INTO my eye instead!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Sorry man...

Was getting used to seeing your name in the top 5 positions in RoadRacingWorld!

Hurry back, I'll still be your pit b!tch in august...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts