Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd tap the expansive knowledge found here. We're switching from analog KVM switches to KVM over IP for our data center. The analog switches are taking up too much space because their port density sucks and don't get me started on the cabling snafu we've got going on in our racks. I was wondering if any of you have experience with any particular brands. Things you liked, things to avoid. It appears that Avocent is a leader but also one of the priciest. As always, any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have played around with the Avocent stuff and wasn't aware that anyone had a product that could really compete against it. It worked fairly well. The interface was a little slow and I sometimes had issues getting my mouse and the remote mouse to line up, however, it would work just great if you plan on using it in a server down case only. I wouldn't plan on using it as a primary method of doing stuff on the box. I would use Terminal Services or pcAnywhere to do normal activities remotely on the server and then use the Avocent stuff for cases where the box isn't responding and you need to get a remote console to see what is going on.

If you have a Compaq server then you might also look at the RIB card (the newer versions have them built into the MB).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sounds similiar to SMS server, I have a great time f--king with people on the ship with the remote control utility

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the more I look at it, Avocent's stuff appears to be like killing a mosquito with a sledge hammer for our needs. Remote access isn't our major concern so KVM over IP isn't really even necessary. Between Terminal services, rconsole and rconsolej, our remote access needs are pretty well met. On top of that most of the servers are Dells which have the DRAC or ERA cards which provide true console redirection as opposed to terminal services. Although I've had similar results to what lfg described with console redirection. I think all we really need is an analog switch that connects via cat5 and converts on the server end to ps2 and vga. Port density and cleaner racks are what we're really after. But it's been an educational experience none the less. Thanks for the responses and my apologies for crying wolf just a tad. It seems like really cool technology, and it is, but there's no way we can justify the cost for what our needs are.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
sweetonion : I think all we really need is an analog switch that connects via cat5 and converts on the server end to ps2 and vga.
See Im still looking for the opposite, a ps2 to dell 2600 conversion cable, so I can hang out in the server room and still get my game on.

What, oh not that kind of ps2...I get it now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts