Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Putnam for my last track ride of the season on Saturday.
It was a bit chilly in the morning...low 50's and the first 2 sessions were on a damp track. Still there was still a lot of grip available, and the track dried out just before the lunch break. Temps stayed a bit cool, but the sun did come out a bit in the afternoon. The sessions went well, and there were very few incidents, especially considering the conditions.

With only 2 left hand corners, I have always been pretty religious about running 2 full laps to get the tires feeling good before trying to pick up the pace. During the day, I had noticed that several bikes in my group were able to get on the pace considerably sooner than myself...I reminded myself that they were using warmers and put it out of mind.

For some reason, in the 7th session, I had a bit of a mental lapse....lack of focus I guess. I entered the track and went through T1 with quite a bit more speed than I had normally allowed myself on the beginning lap...no major problems, so I guess I let my guard down and continued on. T4 is the first left hander....and a bit off camber....I didn't have much lean angle, but was railing through at a pretty good clip. In my head, I was thinking about what I intended to work on during this session. Right at the apex...BANG...the front tucks, and bangs into the stop.....I picked up the gas, and the motor making a cool whooshing as the rear lets go....now I am drifting wide into the marbles.... It all hooked up, did a little wiggle and on I went....

I've had minor slips and slides, but this was my first experience with just loosing traction like that.....felt a bit spooky for a minute or two. Anyway, I collected myself and headed around the track.....my thick head had still not made the cold tire connection. I watched to see if other bikes made it through T4.....wondering if there had been oil or water. Duh...it was just too much speed on cold tires. It took me about 3-4 laps to get back on the pace, but by the end of the session all was well...lesson learned.

It was a weird day....I had expected to make some riding progress, but had trouble getting focused, and never really got into a groove. Looking back, I think the reason was that I had no specific goals....only a general one. Without something specific to work on, nothing really happened.....

On the bright side, it was still a fun day, and I got to shoot the breeze with MotoPilot a bit.....:)
He is a bona-fide junkie though, and stayed for 2 more days......:speechless:

·
Registered
705 Posts
At least you had a lot more fun than everyone at M-O last Monday! We should have been issued wetsuits. It's a good reminder for everyone who has to deal with the rapidly dropping temps., give your tires a little more time to warm up.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Good reminder! This fall trackdays can bite ya in the butt. I love the 95 degree sunny days. I think those are the only ones where I actually stop worrying about tires slipping!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Quoting Baketech:Right at the apex...BANG...the front tucks, and bangs into the stop.....I picked up the gas, and the motor making a cool whooshing as the rear lets go....now I am drifting wide into the marbles.... It all hooked up, did a little wiggle and on I went....

Great presence of mind.. I would have been looking for a soft place to land.

Thanks for the reminder, Bake. I'm going to my last trackday of the year Saturday at Gingerman. I'm hearing maybe 60 degrees. I've still got those Pirelli soft race tires on it, and last time I didn't get very much heat into them. Probably because I'm too slow? Ya think??

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CBRVFR : Great presence of mind.. I would have been looking for a soft place to land.

Thanks for the reminder, Bake. I'm going to my last trackday of the year Saturday at Gingerman. I'm hearing maybe 60 degrees. I've still got those Pirelli soft race tires on it, and last time I didn't get very much heat into them. Probably because I'm too slow? Ya think??
Don't think it had anything to do with it.....pure dumbass luck....

Stay safe at Gingerman....

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete : Bake, glad to hear you had that little moment, and sorry you didn't crash and get hurt.  

-eteP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wish I knew you guys were going. I was there in the www.Indysuperbikes.com Truck and trailer on the red and black 929

I ran in the novice group, you gotta love only 15 people on the track and passing anywhere....1:22 was my best time saturday.

Sunday we only ran 4 sessions 2 of them being nice warm and dry. the rest of them were cold or damp.

took 4 laps to get the tires warm enough to push them.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Once you get to about 28 PSI, you can't really go much lower before visiting about 10 other issues (single side shearing being one that comes to mind). Although the conventional wisdom is that lower pressures mean warmer temps, going too low starts to bring the carcass and belts into play and you can lowside/highside in a heartbeat due to under inflation on cold days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts