Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was cleaning up the bike yesterday because I haven't had the chance after the last ride (about 1.5 months ago). I noticed 2 drops of coolant at the bottom of the left lower fairing (looking @ the bike from behind). I then looked @ the thermostat housing and saw about 3 drops of coolant hanging off of the housing. So I am going to jump to the obvious conclusion (that is in my mind) that the thermostat housing gasket has gone bad. Is this deduction correct? Is this a common problem with a fairly new bike (2002 Honda 954)? TIA!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Common, I would say "No." With the high pressure it is not suprising that something gives eventually. I noticed leaking from one of my hoses, the clamp was not doing its job. What you have is a fairly simple fix though. Would recommend a new seal (around the thermostat) and maybe even use a little gasket maker to make sure it seals up well. Also, make sure the bolts which hold the housing together did not come loose. Definately use some sort of locking agent on the bolts when re-assembling.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Make sure that that is the real origination of the fluid, and not some point above the thermostat. The hose clamps are notoriously loose from the factory, so it may just be a clamp somewhere that needs tightening.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll check the hose clamps first and if not that, then i'll be changing out the gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts