Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so what's the worst part of your job??

Mine has gotta be expense reports... of course, I just finished mine. I had procrastinated for about 5 weeks of travel and had to submit for over $13,000 worth of receipts. :eek: That was a bitch to sort out, given I tried a new filing scheme for those receipts. The scheme went like this; 1) Take receipt. 2) Shove it in laptop front pouch. 3) Promptly ignore. Man, my boss is gonna shit when he sees a couple of those bills.

Tomorrow we work on the Montreal trip... *sigh*

I hate doing expense reports. :thumbd:

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
the worst part of my job? it used to be expense reports too ;)

Allow me to introduce a media sliver from my average workday:

bossman:
(cell phn. rings) SSG we are months behind on this project and I need your help with this NOW, delegate whatever else you are doing and get in here!
(go to office) Deadline on this is 14 days, keep track of that because its a HARD date that we cannot miss or the client will be upset. Now I want you to come up with what you think they need...something, anything..whatever you want. But when it's done, I think it should be a drawing that looks like a horse, a pony..yeah a shetland pony, yeah...oh and I want you to do it like this, just like this here, see my hand? ok...take notes because this is how I want you to do it. Now, well actually I'm going to be making some more changes I think to this design so...why don't we hold off on this because I'm not really sure exactly what type of horse I want but...hmm, you know what, if you don't have any other projects going on right now I could really use a hand with this proposal...

SSG:
buuut, I'm a geek, don't you want me to do the geek stuff, you're the sales guy - you sell it I solve it, hey?

boss:
right, thats why I want your help with the pelican..

SSG:
pelican sir?

boss:
What are you stupid, the PELICAN WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT!

SSG:
the horse?

boss:
no, they do not need a horse that is foolish! they need a pelican...

SSG:
shore, pelican..ok, so..I should....?

boss:
ok, so I am going to work on this proposal because we gotta get this done, you are right - I want you to work on the drawing of the horse, I will finish up my rough sketch and get it to you in 2/3 weeks, then we can discuss it further, yesokthenI willseeyouthen.

SSG:
hmm, so...just to clarify, the horse...you, a few weeks, and I should...?

boss:
look I'm really busy right now with this proposal, but I want to discuss this solution with you more when you can actually spare me a good hour or so, ok?

SSG:
well I just delegated (as ordered) and since I already made my enemies there, why don't I put something together as we originally discussed?

boss:
what you think because I don't know what know do that I don't know what a gawddamn pelican looks like?

SSG:
I'll be somewhere between the lav and the keurig if you need me I guess...enjoli!

boss:
ok, I will come see you after lunch....

(repeat from paragraph one about two days later. and Yes..after lunch goes the way of the horse/pelican as well)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SSG, sounds like my work. However, that's the BS I can live with. The expense reports I can't... they gotta go.

Booth, what platform are you working on?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Being told quarter after quarter that we didn't bring in enough money to make our incentive bonus YET still getting a ton of crap from marketing announcing new sales/referral incentive contests and give aways...Last time it was a messege in a bottle annoncing a trip to St. Thomas, the year before that it was a mocked up drivers manual for the Red Corvette Program. I work behind the scenes in operations...I'd much rather see the extra money in my check rather than knowing they poured it down the drain announcing contests and prizes I'll never have a shot at winning. :nono:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Quarterly performance reviews, which includes mandatory courses, optional courses, surveys, showing company values, high performance culture…….

I do have a life outside of the company you know? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Dealing with the boss's power mood swing.

During meetings with current vendor -

Boss - "I don't like this model, unacceptable. Don't even think of bringing this model in here."

Vendor - [thrown off guard] "well, Sir, this is the only model we manufacture, no one even makes another type. What is it, exactly, that you do not like about [cut off by the boss]

Boss - "Well then, we have nothing further to discuss. End of meeting. SuperDave, start the bid process for a new vendor" [gets up and walks out of the meeting]

So we're left there with the vendor totally confused. I know not to start anything and just wait till next week. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Man, I did a pretty crappy expense report yesterday too.

4 different exchange rates, trying to figure out what the hell all the receipts are for when they are in 4 different languages...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
luvtolean said:
Man, I did a pretty crappy expense report yesterday too.

4 different exchange rates, trying to figure out what the hell all the receipts are for when they are in 4 different languages...
I love it how... no... I mean I LOVE it... no really LOVE it... how for each entry into my expense reporting system, it resets the exchange rate to 1. Then errors every time I do a submission because it's not in the right range. Ok... so I guess an exchange rate. Talk about total accuracy. I wonder what the end result will be....

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
We have to document exhange rate, and our Excel template doesn't sound nearly as advanced as yours.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Zeeman said:
BAS.

Business Activity Statement - this is done quarterly for tax purposes here in Aus.

Z...

Click the button and the computer works that out for you, the harder part is finding the time to do the accounting and working through the bank reconcilation trying to sort the mess out.

The worst part of my job is not being able to plan a bloody thing and being at the whim of others. One person doing the work and 60+ thinking of/generating work for me on the fly that has to be done then and there no exceptions. But if I need something done now, it MIGHT be looked at in 2 weeks. You say No once and people get REAL shity. Perhaps I should cut all forms of communication to me so I can actually get some real work done and have no more come in.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Oh, we have a little program called "Live The Values...". Oh man it's a doozie, and some people are really excited about this one let me tell you. Here's how it went for me. I had just found out that my wife of 12 years was leaving me. I go in to work and find out that I have to attend a company wide LTV (see above) meeting. We all walk over to the Hilton across the street where the company has rented a large meeting room. We all get our nametag and find our seat. It's all about team building, and how company ethics are so important. We get to watch cute little films showing us important life lessons like not leaving early, and having other people clock you out when you are really supposed to leave. And how you aren't supposed to use the supply cabinet to supplement your income, or keep your kids Boy Scout troop ass deep in markers and colored paper. As a salaried employee, and a mature adult, most of this was something I had basically learned in second grade, but here we are.

Did I mention my wife had just left? So we break for lunch, and come back only we now have to sit at the table with the matching number that's on our nametag. They specifically shuffled the room so we would be sitting by strangers. To make matters worse, we spent the second half of the day doing wonderful arts and crafts like making posters from cut out magazines showing how much we were excited about Living the Values. We got to all hold up a tennis ball with some string where everyone had to hold it like a web. Oh just fun shit like that. I think everyone realized I wasn't into all this when they asked me if I was going to help out with their poster. I ripped a page from the magazine next to me, smashed the glue stick on it, and then slapped the page down randomly on their poster board. The slap was loud enough that the entire room got quiet.. I got some stares, and a few under the breath comments from some of the more cheery folk at the table, and I just sat there. I figured what the hell, my wife left, why not get fired. I just sat there the rest of the day, and walked off when they released us.

I know you are looking for crap everyday, but that one particular day has stuck out in my mind..
Fig

·
Registered
735 Posts
My colleague has bipolar disorder (she's admitted to just about everyone) and she's mostly in her manic phase.
She doesn't sleep, gets in at 5-6am and leaves around 7pm.
Often times I'll get work emails sent at 2-3am as well.
It sucks to work with her as she's always bouncing off the walls. Gets me all stressed out.
And then she wants to go out and have coffee in the mornings?
Yikes.
So my least favorite part is having to work with her.
Maybe I can slip her some Valium.
:crap:

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
LOL at the expense report problems! My old job was the travel system administrator, so I dealt with the other side of it, trying to figure out what the hell people were thinking when they filled them out! They really weren't a big deal if people would just pay attention. What system do you guys have?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Oh, my job now isn't bad at all. I have lots of projects, but that's a good thing. They've been lenient on letting me off to go racing, I'll be getting a raise next month, should move up a job grade next year, should replace my boss maybe a year or two after that. THEN the headaches will surface.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts