Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,. i have a textile right know but my friend suggested i get a leather becuase they're warmer. i was wondering if this was true, and your thoughts on it. thanks

·
Registered
596 Posts
depends on the jacket, check the website of whoever makes it. i have one textile that is basically see through with just a thin liner, and one that is much heavier and has a much thicker liner.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is a thread that I could have started myself, as I'm in the market for a jacket.
Though my question would be, which material offers the best protection? Or would it be a, 'six-one, half a dozen-the other' type of deal?

As of right now, I'm leaning towards a leather jacket, as they are more stylish and fashionable. Some of the textile jackets kinda remind me of motocross and downhill mtn biking armor vests.

·
Registered
596 Posts
everything i have read says leather offers better protection. leather doesn't melt into your skin as you slide down the pavement, i've seen some nasty pics of wounds infused with textile jacket.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Depends on the jacket. My perforated leather is definitely cooler than my textile. Unless I put on a heated vest....

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Leather is going to be warmer... You can get leather jackets with liners as well.

I have one, it is a little on the large size. Throw a hoody on underneath and it fits perfect.

As for protection, leather is normally going to be better. It depends on the quality of leather though.. A cheap leather jacket, will not be as good as the top of the line textile.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leather is going to be warmer... You can get leather jackets with liners as well.

I have one, it is a little on the large size. Throw a hoody on underneath and it fits perfect.

As for protection, leather is normally going to be better. It depends on the quality of leather though.. A cheap leather jacket, will not be as good as the top of the line textile.

so when im looking for leather jackets, how do i know whats good qulaity leather? by the brand name, or by price or leather type?

·
Registered
454 Posts
so when im looking for leather jackets, how do i know whats good qulaity leather? by the brand name, or by price or leather type?
Well you can't really go wrong with Dianese. Stupid insane quality, but so is the pricing. Never had any of their sportbike gear but I did have one of their textile vests for downhill and slopestyle mountain biking. Fits very well.
I also saw a white* Dianese jacket at the local Cyclegear shop...it fit like an Isotoner glove but was just short of $500.

*speaking of which, why are there not more white (or lighter color) leather jackets available.
We all know that black attracts heat more than white/light colors will.
We also all know that when on a bike, we are most likely out in the sun.
So IMO, wouldn't it make sense to have a light as possible colored jacket that didn't absorb heat like black does?
You don't see desert nomads, or safari tourers wearing all black outfits now do you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just recently bought a A*s Indy leather jacket because it was like $110 off retail. Using the sizing chart I decided on a USA size 42 since I'm 5'11" and weight around 175lbs. To be honest it was a little tight when I first bought it, but since putting around 1500 miles on it it has loosened up and fits perfectly (tight, but perfect for riding. Maybe not for walking around). I love the quality of the jacket and would definitely recommend it to others. Just save up and buy the more expensive leather jacket. You can't really put a price on safety, and that's the whole point of a jacket right?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

this

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
As for looking for quality.. Cowhide and Kangroo leather like said, but also look at thickness. I believe most companies have the thickness of the leather in they tags some where.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
As for looking for quality.. Cowhide and Kangroo leather like said, but also look at thickness. I believe most companies have the thickness of the leather in they tags some where.
yup. I think my Scorpion perf is 6mm. quite thick. I live in AZ, so perf leather works when it's cool. And when it "cold", the liner makes it warm enough

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
hey everyone,. i have a textile right know but my friend suggested i get a leather becuase they're warmer. i was wondering if this was true, and your thoughts on it. thanks
I find the reverse is true I have my leathers for the Summer, textiles for the bitter cold and wet of the later seasons. As with everything regarding bike gear you have to pay a lot for the better equipment. Seriously good textile suits are almost as safe as the best leather (warmer definitely) (better than the cheap stuff).

Kangaroo is supposed to have the edge but Ive never owned a suit made from it

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think Both but depends on where, how, and how much you ride... I have both a leather and preforated textile jacket. Textile is my summer jacket, keeps me cool when im riding on 90 degree days. But since i ride year round, when sept/oct comes around, im leaving work real late and its like 40 degrees outside, i love my leather jacket. Last year i rode on new years IN NEW YORk.. and it was freezing, with my leather jacket, it wasnt that bad

·
Registered
95 Posts
i would say with the gear i have duchinni textile jacket and hein gericke leather jacket the leather is defo cooler, we dont get much hot weather here in the uk, so i wear my textile jacket with leather pants more often. i would say that leather gives far superior protection (as long as its well made) over textile, also make sure you get a leather jacket that fits you once on the bike as your position on the bike is different to when standing in the shop.

·
Banned
277 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts