Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
President: Team Full Chat
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
I probably should have said a few words when posting this, but these guys back in the 1800's seem to have had the same problem.
I'm with Ian, no idea what bulbs they are when one blows I'll just pop down to m local Honda dealer.
I guess that thread explains why I never knew about H4 bulbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah i kinda have my heart set on going LED but not sure about modifying to make them work since they arent cheap. Might experiment with some old standard H4 bulbs first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My theory is that Honda found standard H4 bulbs too hot for the Foxeye polycarbonate, went to a lower Wattage bulb and changed the base slightly to avoid people using standard 55/60w H4 bulbs.
Dont get me wrong they work pretty good, but these new LED bulbs are the ****. Twice as bright as a 55/60, and no heat out the front. Even the heatsink at the back has only ever gotten slightly warm when ive checked on my ute. Less than half the current draw too.

If i recall my high school physics, filament bulbs are at best 10% efficient - the other 90% of energy being heat, while leds are the opposite at 90% efficient.

I know for a fact when the keys are on and im going around the bike checking tyres and blinkers or whatever, the heat from the headlights on my face is like standing in front of a space heater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok thanks for the correction. Just did a quick read up, it seems they also put out 3x the visible light and virtually none of the infra red.
So basically, if you have an LED that is half the wattage, it should be about 1.5x brighter?

And half the heat - right in front of my fingers instead of trying to burn my lovely 23yo foxeye that still looks brand new?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok so here are the bulbs that came out;
the one at the top which is genuine and rated at 45/45
the one at the bottom which appears to be a regular 55/60 H4 but with the two smaller tabs cut off
the one in the middle which is a perfectly good and unadulterated h4 from my ute.
You can see the two smaller tabs on the Honda bulb are further apart.

Also included for free is a picture of my perfect headlight lens (complete with gnats who martyred themselves to the god of wind) that seems to be no worse for wear for having a full strength H4 bulb in one side.

Having a poke around there appears to be plenty of room back there for the heatsink, but i would avoid the bulkier fan assisted ones, They would get plenty of fresh air there anyway.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok so went out and got a set of WJ Speaker H4 leds. They are the smaller 18/18w, 1800 lumen ones. Chose them for the smaller heatsink and lack of ballast box.
The two smaller tabs have to come completely off, but very easy job and fits neatly. the beams look spot on against the back wall of the garage. Might take the old girl for a spin tonight and see how it looks.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
I'm with Ian, no idea what bulbs they are when one blows I'll just pop down to m local Honda dealer.
That's one nice thing about H7's on the 954, they're half the price at the auto parts store than the M/C shop for the same bulb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
My theory is that Honda found standard H4 bulbs too hot for the Foxeye polycarbonate, went to a lower Wattage bulb and changed the base slightly to avoid people using standard 55/60w H4 bulbs.
Dont get me wrong they work pretty good, but these new LED bulbs are the ****. Twice as bright as a 55/60, and no heat out the front. Even the heatsink at the back has only ever gotten slightly warm when ive checked on my ute. Less than half the current draw too.

If i recall my high school physics, filament bulbs are at best 10% efficient - the other 90% of energy being heat, while leds are the opposite at 90% efficient.

I know for a fact when the keys are on and im going around the bike checking tyres and blinkers or whatever, the heat from the headlights on my face is like standing in front of a space heater.
Sound theory, I've seen a couple guys distort their lenses by sticking in 100w bulbs with no consideration for the extra heat. Thought about it myself on the old FJ and decided not to risk it.

Ok so went out and got a set of WJ Speaker H4 leds. They are the smaller 18/18w, 1800 lumen ones. Chose them for the smaller heatsink and lack of ballast box.
The two smaller tabs have to come completely off, but very easy job and fits neatly. the beams look spot on against the back wall of the garage. Might take the old girl for a spin tonight and see how it looks.
:thumb: OK, you sold me! Nice installation on the LED's, not seeing the plugs makes it cleaner looking than stock IMO. Every kit I've looked at has ballasts. I'm not overly pleased with my HID's, I think I'm going to give those a shot. The lack of a ballast to hide somewhere is also a nice feature. Crossing the desert at night, I've almost hit everything from rabbits to coyotes and even a cow, so lights are becoming more important to me. Love the bike and the garage BTW. Definitely let us know if you're happy with the night ride.

BTW, what is the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
It was a light-hearted comment. Everyone knows that electricity is black magic.
I was as well. Believe me, every time I get off the 954 I wish I was young enough to NOT remember sealed beams! (And every time I see the college girls and lifeguards my son hangs/works with. Had his 21st B-Day party at the house recently, OMG! :spank: ) Made me feel like De Niro in Dirty Granpa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Sound theory, I've seen a couple guys distort their lenses by sticking in 100w bulbs with no consideration for the extra heat. Thought about it myself on the old FJ and decided not to risk it.



:thumb: OK, you sold me! Nice installation on the LED's, not seeing the plugs makes it cleaner looking than stock IMO. Every kit I've looked at has ballasts. I'm not overly pleased with my HID's, I think I'm going to give those a shot. The lack of a ballast to hide somewhere is also a nice feature. Crossing the desert at night, I've almost hit everything from rabbits to coyotes and even a cow, so lights are becoming more important to me. Love the bike and the garage BTW. Definitely let us know if you're happy with the night ride.

BTW, what is the car?
Yes very easy, i just cut the two tabs off with a hacksaw. The base on these is thick aluminium and comes off (instead of the heatsink) so this was easy. And cable-tied both leads to the nose cone brace which is why the plugs arent dangling anymore. I wheeled it out into the back yard last night and it looked good but will report back after a night ride. Cant guarantee these will be better than HID or even a really good pair of h4 halogen but looks promising. The beams are perfect aim and the colour is like daylight. I have the bigger 23/23w 2000lm ones in my ute. They are definitely brighter than any h4 halogen ive tried. They have ballasts, but they arentvery big, wouldnt be that hard to strap them somewhere out of the way.
The car is an old rx7 with a built and ported 13b and an EFR8374 turbo strapped on - 420rwhp and 1100kg. Its faster than the bike lol.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok so went for a ride last night. Good straight horizontal line on low, gets a bit of extra light on the sides, high beam more of a pencil beam. Didnt seem thaaaat bright, but street signs, number plates and anything else with a prismatic reflector was lighting up way more than usual, and when i got amongst some traffic i was definitely lighting up my patch of the road more than the other cars. Could probably adjust the aim a bit higher too.
When i got back the heatsinks were quite warm, almost to the point of being painful to hold with my cold fingers. I should have put the I/R gun on them in hindsight but im guessing they were around 40c on a 10-15c night.
long story short, could go more power but dont want to burn my rubber grommets. Might try a fan assisted one next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Quick update; Im running the bigger version of the same brand in my ute - 25/25w with ballast box, and opened the bonnet 1st thing to have a feel after a 40minute drive to work this morning - barely even warm?! Which i found interesting.
Perhaps something to do with having a better heatsink with external electronics? Or just better electronics? Both, or something else entirely?
Anyways, i still havnt done the rx7 yet (also takes h4) so might try some ebay cheapies in a higher wattage and see how that goes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,652 Posts
18 watts will put out nearly 61 BTU's of heat.
23 watts will put out nearly 79 BTU's of heat.

Having an external driver will just move a heat source from the bulb to elsewhere. That is why the bulb would run cooler with an external driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Got a set of these for the car. These are the best ones yet. And cheap! wish i just bought three pair of these to start with. 200W CREE H4 Hi/Lo LED 20000LM Auto Feel Headlight Lamp Kit Globes Bulbs Updated | eBay

Most of the ones on ebay claim stupid wattage and lumen figures so its kind of hard to choose. But these ones seem good quality. The cut offs are spot on and they are really bright. The ballasts are in a cast alloy box about the size of a deck of playing cards with provision for cable tying them.

Edit; the ones i have claim 40w each and 4000lumen each but are exactly the same.
 
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Top