Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Got a set of these for the car. These are the best ones yet. And cheap! wish i just bought three pair of these to start with. 200W CREE H4 Hi/Lo LED 20000LM Auto Feel Headlight Lamp Kit Globes Bulbs Updated | eBay

Most of the ones on ebay claim stupid wattage and lumen figures so its kind of hard to choose. But these ones seem good quality. The cut offs are spot on and they are really bright. The ballasts are in a cast alloy box about the size of a deck of playing cards with provision for cable tying them.

Edit; the ones i have claim 40w each and 4000lumen each but are exactly the same.
Daaang dude you did this! Ironically I have been looking to do the same exact thing about the same time you were doing this apparently , but never thought to look on this board for ideas or answers! I bought similar bulbs off ebay without however considering too heavily how they would fit in my headlight shell other than being aware of the H7/H4 base converter. Agreed they are superbright, but I couldn't straight swap the fit without modifying which is what you obviously found a way to do. Can you please share pics detailing your setup? I saw the pic of the rear with the fan sticking out of the rubber grommet. (not scared of water hitting that though?) I also saw your written description of the mod, but a pic is worth a thousand writeups!... or something like that :)

Anyway congrats on figuring this out. Not sure how the rest of our community feels about this mod, but this is HUGE to me :) Way to go squid!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Daaang dude you did this! Ironically I have been looking to do the same exact thing about the same time you were doing this apparently , but never thought to look on this board for ideas or answers! I bought similar bulbs off ebay without however considering too heavily how they would fit in my headlight shell other than being aware of the H7/H4 base converter. Agreed they are superbright, but I couldn't straight swap the fit without modifying which is what you obviously found a way to do. Can you please share pics detailing your setup? I saw the pic of the rear with the fan sticking out of the rubber grommet. (not scared of water hitting that though?) I also saw your written description of the mod, but a pic is worth a thousand writeups!... or something like that :)

Anyway congrats on figuring this out. Not sure how the rest of our community feels about this mod, but this is HUGE to me :) Way to go squid!
Hey buddy, thanks for the kind words. Its pretty easy, all you have to do is cut off the two smaller tabs completely. In this pic we have a Honda bulb, a standard H4 and a modded H4. I just modded the ebay one the same. I took some measurements and they do definitely need to come completely off. Leave the one big tab though.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/at...236542-led-headlights-fireblade-bulbs-001.jpg
Mine dont have fans, just heatsinks. Provided you have enough room for your fans i dont tghink id be too worried about them getting that wet behind the nosecone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been using these for a while now. https://www.siriusledlights.com/collections/h4-9003-led/products/7g-led-headlight-h4
They are better than 2 different 55 watt HID kits in my 99 900RR. I painted the glare shield black for a better cutoff and reduced glare.
The LEDs are arranged similarly to the H4 filament industry standard and performs better in reflector type housings. They are also rotation adjustable.
There are others available in the same LED configuration.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
^ yes they are the ones to get. Ive seen the identical thing under various names and brands and ridiculous power specs (the link you posted is the first one ive seen claim realistic specs). ive got the same thing in my car now and they are the best ones ive tried so far.
Thinking of getting them for the bike and ute now too.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
recently upgraded my friend gsxr with these from amazon. this same brand and spec lights, but the kit we ordered only had 2 bulbs. 1 h7 and 1 h11 which fit his 07's h9 socket.

the bulbs have little fans and then a separate box. the box was maybe 1.5"x2" n 3/8" thick. only complaint was the cord from the bulb to the box was only about 2.5" long.

i think he payed like 45$ for the kit.

i didnt get before pic so youll just have to take my word for it that they are a huge improvement over the standard bulbs we removed. much brighter.

https://www.amazon.com/Optix-H11-Li...8-1-spons&keywords=optix+h7+h11+led+kit&psc=1

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
OK, winters almost upon us and I can now attend to all the little slightly annoying things that I've been ignoring over the summer. I have an electrical setup that is very kind to my stator and voltage regulator, but only just keeps the battery alive. It's a Li-ion battery and it charges it to about 1/3 of its capacity. Not usually a problem, because the battery gives more current than a lead-acid anyway, even down to the last dregs. But with the colder weather, it's less enthusiastic so I wanted to increase the charging current to the battery. Can't (won't) change the stator/regulator, so decided to reduce the load, and thought that LED headlights would be just the thing. What's shown below has only 25W load, and makes enough difference to get the battery up where it should be. A bit of a faff to fit, because it's deeper than the standard bulb and so forces the adapter out further, and the retaining clip can't quite get into the retaining notch, it fould on the adapter.. But a quick buzz from the Dremel and that problem is gone. I went for the lowest rated bulb (for the centre lamp) which is still brighter than the std halogen item. And is not too rude, in terms of light scatter, the beam alignment looks OK. We'll see if the cagers start flashing. Then it's time to get the same in the main beam lamps and return the compliment. lower pic is the LED, top the standard.
20201027_152103 (2).jpg
20201027_155133.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks bright. Was this just a plug & play? or did you have to change anything or not use the adapters? Can you share a pic of the back of bulb as it fits in the assembly?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Looks bright. Was this just a plug & play? or did you have to change anything or not use the adapters? Can you share a pic of the back of bulb as it fits in the assembly?
Yes, much brighter than Standard and now my battery is happy. As I said in the original post the adapter had to be slightly modified, haven't got a pic right now but it's really a no-brainer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive had trouble finding headlights for the bike in the past, they look like H4 but theyr'e not. What size is it?
Because ive just chucked a set of LED headlights in my car and they are the tits. Very bright. Proper beams high and low, low current draw, no heat (comparatively)
It would be very nice to have that on a vehicle that has its lights on with ignition, has a much smaller electrical system, and goes a lot faster.
Is it possible to convert H4 to fit?
Its a '94 900rr
Hi, I did the same to my 94 Blade in 2017. However I did rewire the bike from scratch and have a non standard set of instruments, so I cannot comment on where you would locate the LED driver units on a standard bike. The bulbs them selves H4 LED so fit straight into the standard headlight unit. They are only 25 watts but are much brighter than standard with more definitive light spread that works v well. The ones that I bought are no longer for sale but I will try and include the Amazon url here. BTW i based the re-wire around the motogadget m-unit, which I would recommend.
Bulbs are Toppower LED Headlight Conversion Kit H4 with Original Philips Lumileds-ZES Chip Headlamps 25W 4000LM NO CANBUS

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is interesting and I'm thinking about options in exchanging som of the incandescent bulbs on my bike to LEDs. I just want to note 2 things:

1. Taking pictures to compare the brightness of different lamps is tricky. Most phone cameras and other cameras have automatic exposure and will try to make every picture the same brightness. You need a pretty fly camera with manual exposure to really show the difference.

2. LEDs generally draw less current, which may cause problems with your stator or regulator/rectifier. Depending on the regulator/rectifier type, it may need to dissipate more power than before, with potential for melted connectors etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is interesting and I'm thinking about options in exchanging som of the incandescent bulbs on my bike to LEDs. I just want to note 2 things:

1. Taking pictures to compare the brightness of different lamps is tricky. Most phone cameras and other cameras have automatic exposure and will try to make every picture the same brightness. You need a pretty fly camera with manual exposure to really show the difference.

2. LEDs generally draw less current, which may cause problems with your stator or regulator/rectifier. Depending on the regulator/rectifier type, it may need to dissipate more power than before, with potential for melted connectors etc.
Regarding the potential for lower wattage bulbs to draw less current, which cause the reg/rec to have to dissipate the unused energy as heat, yes, but I presume that Mr Honda designed the electrics to work when the lights are off, so this should not be a problem. However, I cannot believe that I just suggested that the standard honda reg/rec should work. I have been through 3 of these over the last 8 years, all off them on my CBR900 race bike, ( no lights, ummm). If we all left a 55w load connected, would the reg/rec be more reliable ? Perhaps I should install a 55w ..... answers on a post card :)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts