Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for info on the LED turnsignals that are mounted in the Passenger footpeg brackets for the 929/954.

Also, if anyone has any idea on info about someone who is making LED strips that will work as turnsignals, that I have heard are available, but have not seen. Apparently, they use a strong adhesive and mount on the bracket without drilling holes.

Bueller? Bueller?
:idunno:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The one that I have seen is drilled into the peg bracket. Too bad they point upward where no one will really see it. Either way they are not a replacement for regular signals.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CBRBob said:
The one that I have seen is drilled into the peg bracket. Too bad they point upward where no one will really see it. Either way they are not a replacement for regular signals.
Turnsignals are not required by law, so I can get what I want for it.

In any case, the drill type ones I saw were pointing straight back, 5 or 6 per side or so IIRC

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I have not seen the ones you are describing but these are the ones I installed on my 954 when I manufactured my own undertail.

Link

I hope this link works. I'm not too computer savy.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Since when are turn signals not required by law??? As far as I know, you must have them. Having an integrator and converting your break light to use them along with your actual brake light is legal, but you must have turn signals

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tavish said:
Since when are turn signals not required by law??? As far as I know, you must have them. Having an integrator and converting your break light to use them along with your actual brake light is legal, but you must have turn signals
Maybe in your locale, but they are not a requirement in Wisconsin. You are obligated to use hand signals though if you do not use turnsignals.

·
Registered
463 Posts
resuscit8u said:
Maybe in your locale, but they are not a requirement in Wisconsin. You are obligated to use hand signals though if you do not use turnsignals.
Thats scary...I prefer turn signals, much safe, more visable, and they look a lot better then being a mime on your bike. I don't expect a cage to see me using hand signals in the dark, I would more likely see myself getting rear ended, and thats never fun

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Tavish said:
Surprisingly, they aren't required in NJ either.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
Surprisingly, they aren't required in NJ either.
They are if they came on the bike... besides, if they're not required why put anything if you like using your hand so much? (Gee that sounded weird) :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now, never once did I say I preferred using hand signals, just that they are legal in Wisconsin.

The fact of the matter is, I want to have more visiblity, with multiple LEDs on the passenger footpeg brackets. I thought that was clear in my initial post.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
CBRBob said:
They are if they came on the bike... besides, if they're not required why put anything if you like using your hand so much? (Gee that sounded weird) :eek:
:wstupid:

I too live in Wisconsin, and know if the bike comes with the signals stock, it is required to have them. Generally you can get away with aftermarkets or not even having them assuming the State Patrol does not get behind you. There is also a statue which states that the signals have to be a certain distance from one another so you can distinguish the direction the driver is intending on turning. I think you would be fine with this application though.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
CBRBob said:
Huh. Ok. Weird law then, as I think all bikes come with them. At least in recent years! :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I remember seeing a pic posted a while back that had a 600rr with those leds. You might want to do a search to find that link here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jake said:
:wstupid:

I too live in Wisconsin, and know if the bike comes with the signals stock, it is required to have them. Generally you can get away with aftermarkets or not even having them assuming the State Patrol does not get behind you. There is also a statue which states that the signals have to be a certain distance from one another so you can distinguish the direction the driver is intending on turning. I think you would be fine with this application though.
Well, I know that they are not required. I have been pulled over on previous bikes that i had no signals on, and given that spiel by the State Patrol, and they make the attempt, but it does not fly in court. Best they can do is give you an improper signal ticket if you do not use a hand signal to indicate the appropriate direction you are turning. They can write you for an aftermarket exhaust system though if it is louder than stock.

The State Patrol likes to give tickets for anything they can think of. I have been to court against them for numerous equipment "infractions" and only one time was there a law to back it up. Once I even went to court for having too bald of a tire according to them. It was a brand new Metzeler ME 1 on my VFR, and they claimed it was worn out. I was on my way home from the installation. I ended up bringing a brand new tire into court with me, and showing the Judge the receipt for the tire which was time stamped before the ticket by an hour, and the tire itself. His case was based on- it has to have a groove that runs front to rear directionally to be legal, and this was a "racing" tire. I showed him and the judge the DOT approval documents from Metzeler as well as the stamping on the side of the tire itself. In the turn signal instance, I had no signals on a GPz 550, and was using hand signals. I appropriately signaled a lane change and was pulled over. He tried to tell me that if it had signals from the factory, it had to have them and they had to be used. I went to court on that one and it was tossed because there was not statute to back it up. He never indicated one on the ticket, and he could not quote one in court. The Judge was less than entertained by his "wasting the courts time with his attempt at writing laws to suit his quota." (Judges words)

This was in the early nineties, so if the law has changed, I would like to see it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
TGZ13 said:
A friend of mine did his own setup on his F4i
Wow, that pic on the right of the brake light proves the point that you cant just put those led clusters in where a regular bulb goes. The LEDs are directional, if you look its 2 small semi-bright spots in an empty taillight. There are too many people thinking that this helps when it actually makes you less visible. Unless almost the whole back area where the reflector is is converted to LEDs, there is less visible lighting. Do it right or dont do it at all. They might be bright but you have to be right where they are pointing at to see them. The peg bracket ones are a cool addition but not a substitution.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
MACI4LIFE said:
I remember seeing a pic posted a while back that had a 600rr with those leds. You might want to do a search to find that link here.
Probably the thread I posted, as my friend had it done to her RR, but the pics are no longer there.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
If you do something like this, make sure to chamfer all the holes, after drilling, so they are smooth to the touch. If you don't, it can create a stress riser and the bracket will fail at the hole.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts