Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You do have good taste in bikes, Sir! SP2 - suits you Sir!

The van took me by surprise - that's the same dealer I just got my new bike from last month that delivered it to Wiltshire for me! I assume yours is the SP2 with 4,466 miles on the clock?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do have good taste in bikes, Sir! SP2 - suits you Sir!

The van took me by surprise - that's the same dealer I just got my new bike from last month that delivered it to Wiltshire for me! I assume yours is the SP2 with 4,466 miles on the clock?
Yep, that's the one. Did you nearly beat me to it?:grin I dealt with Scott and we did the lot over the phone. I rate their (Hunts) service and communication as excellent.

Nearly a three hour drive for the guy. £99 delivery as you know; good value to West Mids near Alcester.

My heart lies with Honda - despite my MV and Triumph which are both 'specials' in their own right. The SP-1 and SP-2 both shaped much of Honda's racing history at WSB level, and that alone makes them desirable. From a financial perspective, they are well insulated from devaluing, in fact the opposite is the case. I paid £300 more for this than when it was new in 2002.

As a one owner bike and four and a half thousand miles I just had to have it.:grin Hopefully I'll get to ride it later in the week if it dries up here!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The SP2, in particular, will definitely be an appreciating asset to have. I would loved to have been in the market for it but having just bought the 2015 rr-e Tiger FireBlade a week before Xmas I don’t have the finance to do that one too!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The SP2, in particular, will definitely be an appreciating asset to have. I would loved to have been in the market for it but having just bought the 2015 rr-e Tiger FireBlade a week before Xmas I don’t have the finance to do that one too!!
Sure it is nice and great value as an asset. Finances sometimes become a predicament to worthy opportunities.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, I will do my part to help resurrect the thread. Here are a couple of pictures of my progress on my recent acquisition.
Currently making my way through the bike. Cleaning, inspecting, tightening, etc. So far no real nasty surprises, mostly looks pretty good. I put together a parts list to freshen it up again. Going to replace air/ oil filters, spark plugs, etc. I found a few bits of missing or non-standard hardware here and there. The bike has sat for awhile so inside the tank needs a good cleaning. Slowly making my way around. Also cleaning up and putting back the factory rearsets and controls. Just going to take my time and get this old girl ready for the road.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't had mine in the raw. Nice to see that massive hunk of frame holding it all together.

Agree that slow and methodical returns the best results!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, the bike was up and running when I got it but, as mentioned here by others, never trust what someone else has done to the bike. Especially when they are trying to sell it, you never know.
So far the only butchery I found was the installation and wiring of the aftermarket undertail unit. I fixed that up with new connections and better led lights. I will probably replace it somewhere down the road but it will do for now.
I am going to remove the rear wheel and get into the swingarm to clean it up and check all the pivot areas, etc. Still waiting on the 33mm socket required to remove the axle nut.
After that, the forks will probably need some refreshing. The seals feel kind of hard and dry and when pumped vigorously they weep a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the power delivery on the Honda twin feel similar to a Ducati?
I can't answer that as I haven't ridden a Ducati V2. I'd imagine it would be fairly close though. Still a far different ball game than our inline fours!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The SP2 swingarm is a work of art. When I look at all the pieces and angles involved, it must have taken quite a bit of engineering to develop.
Digging deeper to check out and clean up the bike. As stated earlier, nothing major so far. The more I look, the more I see small bits and pieces that are buggered up or in need of a good cleaning. Making my way through.
With everything that’s going on it’s been slow going getting parts and so forth. Hopefully I can get it back together and out for a blast before too long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The SP2 swingarm is a work of art. When I look at all the pieces and angles involved, it must have taken quite a bit of engineering to develop. . .
Agree.

I think it might have even become a 'template' for later models' production. Certainly my 2018 Blade is of very similar configuration:

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are so many asymmetrical angles and lines , the shock is off-center to make room for the rear cylinder exhaust, the cutout for the drive chain, the multitude of welds. It really is something.

Your swingarm looks much cleaner than the RC’s! You definitely keep your stuff in great condition.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are so many asymmetrical angles and lines , the shock is off-center to make room for the rear cylinder exhaust . . .
Thanks for friggin' nothing. Never noticed that. It's going to be my downfall. How can a guy with severe OCD live with an offset shock?:(

I mean, it's bad enough having an MV with a single-sided swing arm, but now this?:eek:;)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts