Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here it is. A lot of you will have seen over the last couple of years how quickly I can get through tyres on this...smallish island.
Well I am trying a slightly different tyre to the norm and to Honda's recommendations.

Normally I would use a Pirelli Diablo Corsa, which the roads here could chew to baldness in about 1500kms (930miles).

This time I'm trying the slightly more expensive Pirelli Strada, only a couple of quid more but we'll see how we go.

I shall update you with handling, overall performance and of course 'wear and tear' over the next few weeks.

For starters, the Corsa would scrub up within 30kms, but this one gave me a few twitches the other day (but it was close to raining with cold roads). I think it will take a bit longer to 'wear-in', hopefully last longer and also still allow me to have a lot of fun.

So far then its just 32kms :thumb:

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usuallly can't go wrong with a Pirelli. Although the Corsa's did not last you very long you can't say they didn't grip like a mother f-er.
:plus1::D Indeed the grip was AWESOME ! You could just point and shoot!!
I think next on the cards will be the slightly more expensive Bridgestones, they are the other recommended tyre by Honda.
I'm sticking with Honda's tried and tested tyres as I've tried Michelin's and they were like a squidgy bowl of custard...terrible !!!

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still raining here :rant: :rant: Storms for 2/3 more days :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The Isle of ALL year round sunshine....I DON'T Think so!!

Anyhow will update as soon as I get some miles on her :thumb:

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll keep that in mind one11, I haven't had chance to scrub this one up yet, which makes me hope that it might last a bit longer than the Corsa. The Corsa had instant stick just be showing it the road :rotfl:
So I'll keep posting as the miles get chewed away.....again :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok here's the update....I've completed about 200kms so the tyre is well scrubbed up....I can ride fairly quickly and smoothly and have no worries.
If I push it coming out of corners with lots or throttle then her delicate backside starts to drift..all in all the Pirelli Strada is a great all round tyre, but there is too much power in the Blade for it.

The Pirelli Corsa got chewed up and spat out very quickly, but made you realise how awesome a bike the 07 Blade really is.

In saying that maybe I need to 'bed-in' this tyre a bit more. We'll have to wait and see. If the Strada doesn't work out I'll try the Bridgestone next time which will be on a par as the Pirelli Corsa for 'stickyness', and hopefully will be more durable. If not I shall return to 'Ol Chewy Corsa's' as the bike really isn't much fun without.

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm surprised, I have no problem with the Strada - but I guess I have a good few bhp less than the 07 Blade to deal with.
True, true mate. As I said, maybe I need to get a few more Kms on her first. So we shall crack on especially after plug change/oil/filter on Monday, and see what happens by the time the weekend comes around....as I'm back to commuting everyday now as I've moved back up the hill away from work:smilebig:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't use the BT 021, I have and they are hard and turn poorly. You might want to try a dual compound sport touring type like the Angel ST or Mich Pilot Road 2. I use the PR2 on my Connie and see 5-6000 miles on the rear w/2 up riding. The type of riding here is mountain twisties with regular peg contact to the road. I have not used the Angel ST yet, but will be trying them on my CBR when tires are needed. Unless you are on a track building high heat and dragging knees, the sticky hyper sport tires may be more than required.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Jazzy, what is it about Lanzarote thats eating your tires ? or is it just real hard riding ?

Fancy a job swap anyway ? How much can one person want, sun,sea and motorbikes, someone stop me from turning green here.

Good luck with the tire quest, or the next bank job to pay for them !

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't use the BT 021, I have and they are hard and turn poorly. You might want to try a dual compound sport touring type like the Angel ST or Mich Pilot Road 2. I use the PR2 on my Connie and see 5-6000 miles on the rear w/2 up riding. The type of riding here is mountain twisties with regular peg contact to the road. I have not used the Angel ST yet, but will be trying them on my CBR when tires are needed. Unless you are on a track building high heat and dragging knees, the sticky hyper sport tires may be more than required.
Thats the problem here, its very easy to ride quickly or should I say with lots of power/acceleration out of bends/corners..thats where I have found the NON stickyness of the Strada failing....quite scary on times.

So maybe I'll have to go back to the Diablo Corsa. They get chewed quickly BUT they can handle the power of the Blade I have. Remember the European bikes dont need modding like the bikes over the pond, so have a lot more power on tap:smilebig:

I've tried Michelin's...the bike just said NO, I had no say in the matter:rolleyes: Just didn't suit the bike.

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jazzy, what is it about Lanzarote thats eating your tires ? or is it just real hard riding ?

Fancy a job swap anyway ? How much can one person want, sun,sea and motorbikes, someone stop me from turning green here.

Good luck with the tire quest, or the next bank job to pay for them !
:rotfl:Sent you a PM :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Remember the European bikes don't need modding like the bikes over the pond, so have a lot more power on tap:smilebig:
I have tracked my 08 and with a simple electrical calibrator it will shred the rear tire at the mid range punch, so no power issues here.:thumb: This is why I bought the 08, most use-able power of any liter bike, as you know. Maybe you need slicks?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.