Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for replacement levers for my 2006. I want an upgraded look and the problem that I found with many of the levers out now are the shape. I can get used to them but it seems that the OEM style are closer to ideal but they lack any sense of style.

I recently purchased a set of CRG/ LSL/ ASV style levers but I found that the brake side traveled too close to the bar to be usable. I'm interested in knowing what other products are out there.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
woodcraft are great, I have mad scientist moto on mine
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see any offerings from Woodcraft and unfortunately my color choice for MSM is on backorder.:frown

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see any offerings from Woodcraft and unfortunately my color choice for MSM is on backorder.:frown
The MSM guy got back to me and said that the online inventory is wrong. However I may have found a modification that may work. I will have to buy some parts though. I'll have to investigate this by tonight.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
I assume that HongKong's finest anodized billet aluminum adjustable shorty levers aren't to your liking?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HK levers are what I want to use as I found a set that will look nice with my v2.0 makeover but there's a functional issue but only on the brake side.

A lucky internet search turned up that they appear to be a similar design to Puig's levers (I didn't even know they made levers). I decided to order one with the intent of Frankensteining it with the HK lever. As i drove home from a meeting tonight, proud of my solution I realized that I just agreed to spend $110-ish + my own time and labor to make something work that didn't work out of the box when I could have gotten a set of MSM levers for $60-ish. Doh!

·
Super Moderator
14,700 Posts
I assume that HongKong's finest anodized billet aluminum adjustable shorty levers aren't to your liking?
Same here, I've got these for around $30 and can't fault them.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having some trouble with the levers, I decided to Frankenstein a solution. Look what arrive in the mail nicely packaged…this is what you get when you buy the expensive stuff

After futzing with a fastener of questionable size, I was able to remove the offending mount and put it with the Puig mount.

And so I think I can send back the lever and from this point forward only change levers when I want to do something different. This solution should also work on the F4i, which also has had lever problems due to having a braking system from the CBR954RR

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In many cases they don’t work. I’ve purchased MANY lever (and mirrors) over the years and generally find that to be a true statement that a savings can be realized but there are times when the levers simply do not function in the intended application. I’m happy I found a solution and I believe a permanent one that will allow me to swap lever styles ad-nauseum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Be careful with aftermarket levers...

Just getting my aging '91 F2 roadworthy again, and a buddy of mine who lives across the country (and road with me to buy the bike back in '91) is doing the same on his old ZX11. A garage mishap bent one of his levers, so he thought he'd just grab a nice looking lever from eBay from some Chinese supplier.

...But, the first day the levers were installed and after riding a couple of miles in town, the front wheel locked up. He was lucky...it happened at about 25mph and he was able to keep the thing upright. He immediately discovered that the front rotors were blazing hot, but why was a bit of a mystery.

Called a buddy with a trailer and got 'er home. We did some chatting on the phone, and here's what we found -

The issue is this: many cheap, poorly designed levers partially engage the piston on the master cylinder. In a properly functioning brake system, the piston is engaged at the master and fluid is pushed to the calipers at the wheel. When the lever is released, the piston is retracted, and it is not until 'just about' complete retraction occurs that the fluid from the actuated calipers can return to the master cylinder (this is by design). If the piston cannot return completely, some tension is left at the calipers, causing heat to be generated at the rotor and the pads and transferred to the calipers, and thus heating the fluid causing it to expand and put further tension on the rotors. What you'd call a positive feedback loop. Eventually the point may be reached where the wheel locks up. There are several YouTube videos of guys who had their brakes lock up because of improperly made levers. Scary...as they're just tooling along and suddenly the whole front end just collapses on 'em. Worst way to crash I can think of.

On my '91 CBR600 F2, an arm of the level rests directly on the master cylinder piston. I have some cheap Chinese shorty levers, and I've compared them to the stock ones. Both compress the piston a slight amount - the stock lever by about 1mm, and the Chinese level by about 1.5mm. Near as I can determine, this in inconsequential. But obviously, 'just' touching the piston with zero compression would be ideal. As far as I can tell, I have the same amount of 'drag' from the brake pads that I had with the stock lever, which appears to be the same amount of drag I see with the lever completely removed from the bike. And that level of drag doesn't seem to change after pumping the brakes, so these levers seem to be OK.

Not all the Chinese levers are junk. Problem is finding out which ones are flat-out junk, which ones are dangerous, and which ones are well-made and worth the effort. And for all I know, even the expensive ones might be problematic...I just have no experience with them, being the budget motorcyclist that I am. I'd make no assumptions about the correct manufacture of my brake lever simply based on the dent it made (or didn't make) in my wallet.

FWIW, started the thread after doing a search and not finding anything. This is a fairly serious deal with the flood of Chinese levers on the market, so do be careful out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts