Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the mud flap and relocated their license plate w/o including the license plate light? Has anyone ever been pulled over for this?

I see plates tucked way the hell down under the tail all the time, do the police mind this?

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
427 Posts
In Indiana there is a requirement for a license plate light, but I have installed a hotbodies undertail that doesn't include a light. I'll take the risk that a bored police officer will pull me over at night. I did not place my license plate very far underneath, and there is not law here requiring me to place it a certain way. It just has to be firmly afixed to the rear of the bike and in a horizontal position. You have to check your state's laws and decide what to do.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Speaking with a modicum of authority on the subject, Conq's right. Providing that you've not done something to raise the ire of the officer to begin with, you'll usually be alright w/o a light shining on the plate -IF- the plate is positioned such that the officer will be able to see it from behind you.

In other words, his/her cruiser's headlights will likely illuminate the plate to a sufficient degree unless you stuff it way down in the recess of the subframe/swingarm area. If you do that, you'd better have the thing lighted and, even still, you could be ticketed if it's not visible from 'normal viewing angles' from the rear.

·
Registered
755 Posts
What chain said.I trimmed my rear fender,remove lic plate light,mounted plate as far up as possible and cut small slit in plate for rear trunk lock,hard to tell unless you get real close.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I removed the Brake light housing and drilled two large holes in the bottom plate, directly under each of the bulbs. I then used clear plastic cut from a CD case and fitted that to cover the entire area under the brake light. Silicon seal was used to attach the clear plastic. It has been working for the last 6K miles without problem and really lights up the plate.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Listen to the local LEO Chain. He knows the stuff. Don't give the cop attitude, and he'll likely overlook the plate light if it is plenty visible.
I have no plate light, yet mounted my plate in a fully visible manner. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I as well had no light on my plate and never had any problems. However, if you are truly concerned the you can always pick up the Libertek license plate LED. It is small (about half the diameter of a pen) and puts out enough light to illuminate your plate. Standing behind the bike you can hardly tell it is there. That is what I have on my RC51.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
An LED is a nice option to keep things fully lawful. I nearly went that route, but elected to go with the Harris 'number plate and indicator holder' which can be seen here. It allows you to dump the mud guard and retain the factory plate light for a very clean, stock appearance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will give you a cops point of view. I am a cop here in Philadelphia, PA and while it is illegal in most states tro remove and operate a motor vehicle without a license plate light the majority of cops will not stop you solely based on this. Myself, I would use this as probable cause to stop you if I felt something was not right with you, the bike or you were riding stupid. There is some cops though that would stop and ticket you just for the fact you don't have a light. BTW the ticket is $104.00 here in Philadelphia.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Why give the police a reason to stop you unless you're the model citizen. You know, never have a warrant never smoke dope never have even one beer and ride. Or just keep the license plate light and turn signals.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Haven't had a light on my plate for any of the 3 bikes I've owned so far. No problems, just don't piss off the cop Then again I've only been pulled over once on 2 wheels

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here's what I did: I bought a cabinet hinge from Home Depot for a couple bucks.  Then I cut a hole under the tail light where it's opaque, and glued a clear piece of plastic in it's place (you can't really see that from the pics, sorry).  Now I can access the key hole without cutting the plate or relocating the lock, and my plate is lit.  The brake light makes the plate brighter, but I figure that's OK.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i've got mine way up underneath .....on my battery box...and have never really had a problem....even with ccwilli and I were stopped at a checkpoint.....cop walked right around the back of the bike and just stood there....

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Pretty much anywhere you go in the world, motorcycles need license plates. Can't they rub their heads together and come up with a sweet looking design to keep a lighted, visible, legal plate on the bike?!? Lets get Honda to hire an Italian for the next round...

Ok, so on the track you don't need a licence plate but heck, if you have a track-only bike, you are likely running race plastics anyway.

All I want is a legal plate that doesn't screw up the lines of the bike. :/ I don't think I should have to do it myself with a dremel, hinge, any bending or drilling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts