Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a harris bracket on my bike and I was wondering if I have to leave on the nasty plate with the inspection tag and dealership ad on it. Just curious what others have done with theirs, or if it is a Texas requirement.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
You might get a better reply from Texans, but I'd relocate the inspection sticker (even if that meant dremeling it off) and get rid of the cheesy frame

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The inspection sticker must be lit along with the plate to legaly pass inspection. It's probable cause for a stop without it, but so is anything else you could think of. Texas has ambiguous laws.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looking for a source in the U.S. for the Harris license plate bracket for a '03 954.

Shipping from the U.K. is prohibitive on the Harris website (45L for a 25L part!)

Anyone know where to get one?

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've got another question about the Harris Plate Bracket. How is everyone attaching the license plate? The holes on the bracket aren't as wide as the holes in the plate.

Chain mentioned he drilled new holes in the license plate. Anyone found any other solutions?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Don't know anything about the Harris bracket but I relo'd my OEM light and plate as high as possible on the 929 so I could keep the legal aspects of it and then just attached the inspection tag below that. One officer said that he must be able to see it while seated in his patrol car so I kept mine well lit in the back below the plate.

One of the org members, Skully, has a 954 and used "Lite n' Boltz instead of the gawdy OEM unit and it tucked up under the tail light and looked good without buying an aftermarket undertail. There is probably a pic his setup on the site. I found the thread but the pic was gone.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2667

Others have tucked the whole plate and inspection under the rear fender and haven't had any issues. Like figment stated, it is rather vague and your mileage may vary from town to town.

If I had it to do again, I would have used the lightning bolts to keep it all tidy and legal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmm..

I don't have the bracket yet - thanks zenblader for posting the link - I'll call 'em tomorrow.

But, Northy - looking at the original mud flap on my bike and your picture, it seems possible that the intent is to move the entire metal license mount assembly from the Honda part?

Just guessing - would be very interested to know if this will work, or would I have to drill into the plate?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Both my plate and tag are clearly visible from the rear, regardless of standing sitting or whatever, and are not illuminated at all. Well except for the small gap between the tail light lense and the tail section, it allows a very small amount of light to shine down onto the plate and tag but I don't think it really illuminates them. I've had no problems with LEOs or with getting an inspection. YMMV and it is possible that I'm only getting away with it due to the fact that both are in very plain sight, hell Stevie Wonder could see either one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had to drill holes in the license plate to fit the harris holder. One of those screws overlays a part of the inspection sticker, but enough of it is visible and I haven't been stopped yet.:cycle:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Northy said:
Nope, the oem metal bracket off the mudflap won't fit.
Yep. Received my Harris plate holder today. Pulled the OEM bracket, very close though, a few whacks with a plastic mallet may coax fitment, although I don't think the nuts will screw onto the back because of the bend right at the holes.

Too tired to look at it more, will post if I find a solution, as I am not inclined to drill into the plate either.

Don't know what they were thinking. Don't think euro plates are that size either.

·
Registered
168 Posts
UK plates are pretty different to US. For a start our legal plate size is 9"x7" so that all the fucking speed cameras we have can get you! Most people fit something a little smaller for aesthetics, but you are risking a pull by the feds if you do. I've got a Harris rear bracket, and a 7.5" x 5.5" plate on mine and I haven't had any trouble yet, although you do see some guys who are asking for it with tiny little plates and different fonts! Another thing is that we can buy them from a lot of different places who will make them up for you, and you drill the holes wherever you need them to be. You usually have to present your bike registration documents.

Glad to see everyone getting into Harris products over there. The quality is really good. I've got Harris rearsets, Ohlins steering damper kit, rear license plate bracket, carbon fibre rear hugger, and the titanium exhaust hanger on my bike. Even use Harris track stands. Guess you could call me a fan, lol!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Northy, I ran into a similar situation when I hacked my fender, as the remaining plastic was (intentionally) narrower than the plate holes. I got a thin piece of aluminum flat bar from Home Depot, cut it to length, and drilled the four necessary holes in it (outer two for the plate, and inner two for the fender). I counter-sunk the two inside holes so that the countersink screws I used to attach the bar to the fender would fit flush and allow the plate to fit flush against the bar.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think I'll give that a try Pete. Here's what I had come up with so far. I had a fender elim kit sitting around from my old F3 that I tried to modifiy. I would change the screws out to make it look a little nicer.

But, I like Pete's idea of having the whole thing hidden behind the place. How hard was it to countersink the screws?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also use the harris Plate bracket. The plastic holder is bolted onto the bracket the numberplate clicks into the holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got around to installing the Harris plate bracket on my 954. Fairly simple job, except for getting my fingers in to disconnect and connect the wiring.

My solution for mounting the plate to the bracket is pretty simple, but seems it will work out fine. I just used some strips of 3M Dual Lock on the plate and bracket and snapped 'em together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts