Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit my parent’s house last night and blew a hole in the side of the house. They have a run for the dog outside that attaches to the kitchen door frame, and the lightning must have hit that and traveled back through the house. It was insane...split the door casing, loosened all the bolts on the door hinges, and left a smoky flavor in the house. It blew the doorbell about 15' off the house, and tripped the beaker for that room. There was not anyone home, so they are lucky that it didn't burn the house down.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SilverBullet said:
Lucky, it could have been worse, not that its not bad enough to even happen and the damage they did get.

Yeah, they did luck out. It is weird seeing a basketball size hole going from outside to their upstairs!

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
showmethebombs said:
Hit my parent’s house last night and blew a hole in the side of the house. They have a run for the dog outside that attaches to the kitchen door frame, and the lightning must have hit that and traveled back through the house. It was insane...split the door casing, loosened all the bolts on the door hinges, and left a smoky flavor in the house. It blew the doorbell about 15' off the house, and tripped the beaker for that room. There was not anyone home, so they are lucky that it didn't burn the house down.

"a smoky flavor" did you taste the house? was it hickory smoked, charcoal or propane flavor?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
17 years ago when I lived in Omaha, we had a helluva thunderstorm. A massive kaboom occurred about 1am simultaneously knocking me out of bed, and half waking me up, which left me on the floor and thinking I heard the tinkling of broken glass. :huh: My daughter was almost a year old then, so the first thing I (we, her mom was right behind me) did was check to see how she was doing. She was fine.

So, I spent the next 45 minutes looking at every window in the house. (No, the house wasn't that big, I just wasn't awake enough to do the inspection quickly) Did not find a thing.

Next morning I went out the front door to go to work and found brick shards all over the front walk. (Of course I said WTF at that moment, wouldn't you???)

So I turned around and looked at the house. As I gazed up to the peak of the roof I saw a 3 foot hole under the gable, the soffit pulled back and charred, and the shingles destroyed.

Yupper, lightning strike. It travelled down the roofline and followed the drainspout and left a large charred area of lawn at the end of the drain. (Yes, I do know that's not the direction of a strike, but it was easier to describe that way) I thought about smoldering fire possibilities all day long.

Funny thing was...my friend and next door neighbor was trying to get a group purchase in the neighborhood for lightning rods the day before.

I didn't stick around to participate in that GP...I moved!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts